• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CASE 680H Cranks but thats it...

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Not totally positive but I think its a 336B, does that sound right?
Not totally positive but I think its a 336B, does that sound right?
Yes that sounds about right, I couldn't remember if Case had gone to the 5.9 yet in that model. So did you get your issue taken care of or is she still given you problems?

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
Vintage Restos & occasional Tractors
Yeah, issues all taken care of. Was just giving a little update that the 'heifer' is still going strong. Wouldn't have been able to do it without this forum.:)

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Yeah, issues all taken care of. Was just giving a little update that the 'heifer' is still going strong. Wouldn't have been able to do it without this forum.:)
You are welcome, she'll be a good beast for you but heavy of course you know that.

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
Had a few things that needed repairing recently on the 680H... it’s always several things that go out all at once with this tractor it seems. Ignition switch started acting up- that was an easy one. New CAT ignition took care of that. Then it started starving for fuel again and I had flashbacks to the beginning of this soap opera LOL! Wasn’t getting fuel to the bowl, so replaced the filters, but nothing. Noticed the fuel bowl was cracked and leaking and replaced that but still didn’t get anything coming out enough to keep it running. Crap- just had a 4.5 earthquake! Hate those things- it’s what I get for livin in this CA armpit!

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Those EQ's are scary.. don't see'um coming.
There has to be a blockage between the fuel tank & the filter or your cap is clogged..
easiest thing to do is, take off the fuel tank cap & SEE if you have flow..
IF NOT, disconnect the line going to the filter & blow back thru to the tank w/ compressed air..
LEAVE THE CAP OFF..
Good luck.

Tinkerer

I don't think you can blow back into the tank on a 680H. There is a check valve (#9) mounted on the tank.
Also there is a strainer (#1) in the tank. Unless someone has removed them.

Attachments

• 2018-01-04_072634.png
    2018-01-04_072634.png
    92.4 KB · Views: 9

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
Those EQ's are scary.. don't see'um coming.
There has to be a blockage between the fuel tank & the filter or your cap is clogged..
easiest thing to do is, take off the fuel tank cap & SEE if you have flow..
IF NOT, disconnect the line going to the filter & blow back thru to the tank w/ compressed air..
LEAVE THE CAP OFF..
Good luck.
You are correct about being a blockage... the strainer on the pump in the tank, was deteriorated and pump was sucking all the schmoo from the bottom of the tank and getting plugged. So we drained the tank out and then had no problem getting the fuel up and out to the external fuel pump that was put on previously. All in all was easy to do, just a little greasy.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Happy to help..
Most problems "like that" are an easy fix IF you know where to look. {unless your working on a skid steer,lol}

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Its the tank/machine manuf. saying, "WE might have dropped something in there.. but probably not.. its purely for YOUR protection".. lol

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
I work on a lot of cars/trucks also, and like the machinery, I am amazed at how some of them are designed, and the way in which they have to come apart. I think ‘boy, I would really like to get ahold of the person who designed this thing!’. Somebody has to be laughing somewhere. SMH.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
I know whatcha mean OT.. Before I left my old job, 1 of the last things I worked on was a JCB forklift,
The fuel tank was FULL & I MEAN FULL of rust.. & it was welded into the frame!!! it was actually PART OF the frame.. NOT just sitting in a hole, welded in, it was PART OF the frame!!!
Needless to say it was impossible to remove the tank & replace it , that's how bad it was..
or do a GOOD job of cleaning it..
It did have a plug on the bottom but the thread plug in the tank went up about an inch, so most of the rust flakes stayed IN the tank..
HEY, NO PROBLEM, I'll just go thru the top?? NOPE.. I pulled the "access plate" it was just big enough to get your fist in..& what was there?? A BAFFLE PLATE.. running across the top.. you couldn't even SEE inside the tank..
We ended-up calling a "fuel polishing company".. they have spray nozzles on the end of their wands & then suck or drain the fuel out & run it the several different micron filters & the same fuel goes back in..
I told the "foreskin" that it was done & send it back w/ NO WARRANTY cuz there was NOTHING ELSE we could do..
THAT was something I'll never forget.. a RENTAL fork lift w/ a fuel tank as part of the frame.. Brilliant !!!!

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
Well it's a sad day... The head gasket finally went on the 'asphalt heifer'. It hasn't outlived it's usefulness yet so could anyone recommend where to possibly get a used motor? I would do a rebuild but there are not many machine shops left around here that I have had good luck with.

Tinkerer

Your 336 are very scarce. The 301 is the identical engine with a smaller bore.
If you find a used motor it will probably cost more than the machine is worth.
Parts to repair and or overhaul them are readily available.
Isn't it worth to at least remove the head and see what happened to cause the leak ?
Here is a 301 and it will bolt right into your 680.
All States Ag Parts has it.
https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-attachment/for-sale/list?catid=22022&manu=j+i+case

Last edited:

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
I would rebuild the engine myself. A used engine would probably cost more and you don't know what you're really getting.

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
Your 336 are very scarce. The 301 is the identical engine with a smaller bore.
If you find a used motor it will probably cost more than the machine is worth.
Parts to repair and or overhaul them are readily available.
Isn't it worth to at least remove the head and see what happened to cause the leak ?
Here is a 301 and it will bolt right into your 680.
All States Ag Parts has it.
https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-attachment/for-sale/list?catid=22022&manu=j+i+case
Yes, after searching some they are definitely scarce. Looks like we be rebuilding it then- its probably got 20,000 hrs on it (maybe not that many haha). It hasn't outlived it's usefulness so will go that route. I'll update what I find. Thanks again.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
0914622B-87E9-40AA-A600-8DE9CA35F528.jpeg
Yes, after searching some they are definitely scarce. Looks like we be rebuilding it then- its probably got 20,000 hrs on it (maybe not that many haha). It hasn't outlived it's usefulness so will go that route. I'll update what I find. Thanks again.
Here’s a salvage 680E you might want to call about

emmett518

If its the right track... My god how long is it? Cause it seems like ive been doing this for two weeks straight. (Whine,whine):)
You need to look at this as “Fuel system troubleshooting 101” with the staff of heavy equipment forums.com. You’re getting a fantastic education on this unit. And this education is going to take time.
I’d be thrilled that I am learning so much from some very experienced people, and working on saving a piece of gear from the scrap yard.