• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat d4 basket case

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
Update!!!!
All…. I’m happy to say I have finally got the motor broke free I got the pinion adjusted and engaged, then was able to use my 2 1/4 wrench on a breaker bar and worked it back and fourth and it finally went.
I now have a motor free and the clutch free. I’m still stuck in neutral and will concentrate on getting the main diesel running and then focus on the transmission.
Nice! These old Cats have nine lives, sometime they need a little extra love, sounds like this one found a good owner, good luck and I'll be watching the project all along the way.

yrens

Thanks much.Looking ahead, whats your opinion on being stuck in neutral? Safety interlock related?

yrens

Nice! These old Cats have nine lives, sometime they need a little extra love, sounds like this one found a good owner, good luck and I'll be watching the project all along the way.
Yeah thanks. TLC is what it definitely needed. It amazes how well and long these machines last. They are built like tanks.Never would have thought I find myself working on one of these. Its been a great experience so far.

Lumberjack Matt

Thanks much.Looking ahead, whats your opinion on being stuck in neutral? Safety interlock related?

You just can't select a gear with the transmission shifter? Could be the interlock or just some linkage is stuck. You can disconnect the interlock at the linkage circled in red, then pull that rod with spring forward (or maybe backwards, I forget). Could also be that the shaft with the interlock teeth is stuck (green circle)

PXL_20211113_035559337~2.jpg

yrens

Yeah I did that awhile back. Disconnected the rod from the clutch lever and could move it back and forth but however not sure if that shaft was moving. I assume it would have if I can move the rod? Yeah the shifter goes from side to side but not into any gears. I had the shifter off and it looks okay light rust on some of the gears since the boot was in bad shape. But I lightly tapped on the slides on the rail and no movement. I keep thinking the forks on the safety interlock is the problem but I could be wrong. Fluid is reddish in color and at the full line. Definitely need to change it.

Lumberjack Matt

It either has to be the interlock is not disengaging, or the shift fork assembly is stuck.

Sending the rod back towards the rear should disengage the interlock. You can try to bang it into gear with the rod all the way forward and you should feel the vibration on the rod of the interlock teeth hitting the shift assembly, then when you slide it back you shouldn't feel it. I did encounter a situation where the interlock shaft could be moved too far over center and not disengage (since it's a cam on a shaft, and the cam can travel too far), but I think that was only when the transmission cover was off of the machine...hitting the teeth on the shift assembly should stop it from doing that. In this picture, the three circled areas are where the interlock teeth hit.
PXL_20210817_033649651.jpg
When you try to slide a shift fork forward or backward, it has to bump over a detent, which makes those teeth try to jump downward against spring force to pass over it. All three of these forks are independent.
PXL_20211113_035535721.jpg

I really find it hard to believe that the shift fork assembly is stuck since they are independent from one another. If they are though, I would take the shifter back off and hose down those shafts with penetrating oil, then spend some time bumping the shifter up and down on all 3 forks trying to work them free.

yrens

Thanks a ton for pictures and your insight.I know you have become a expert through your journey with yours. Your very helpful and I appreciate it greatly. I will take your advise and dig into it more after I get the main running which I’m sure will take some work bleeding air etc. Before I forget I was going to ask you about the availability of those bushings for the main clutch lever that the lever pivots on which you replaced. This is not a concern yet, but I have a lot of slop in mine.

Lumberjack Matt

I think I found mine on ebay by searching for their part numbers. CAT used really weird sized bushings, they are all like 20 thousandths off from off-the-shelf bushings. You can always buy ones that are close and turn them down in a lathe.

yrens

Short update. Trip#8 I believe. I have fresh diesel in the tank and fresh oil in the engine. Figured I pull the intake manifold off since the air cleaner was missing and thats how the water found its way into the pistons most likely. Good thing I did because it was completely packed full from mice. A habitrail if you can imagine.The two center intake ports on the engine was almost unrecognizable since you couldn't see the ports! My only regret is I didn't take a picture. All clean and reinstalled. Now I have a bit of backtracking to do by pulling the pony motor carb off and rebuild it with a new gaskets etc. I originally got it going just enough knowing if I got this far (engine unlocked)I have to completely remove it since it never produced enough high rpms. The carb is my next trip and new fuel filters and then start cranking!

yrens

Thanks. It does feel like your restoring a bit of history. The more I work on it the more determined I get to reach my goal.

D5Dan

I enjoy hearing the progress, but like you said got to have some pics(!)- especially when it comes to those four-legged-machine-killers (mice)! I’m confident that was a serious WHOA moment ;)
But the real benefit of the pictures will be when one of the HEF members spots something to save you time/effort/$…plus it’s a great way to show the next guy it CAN be done (or atleast the level of effort one must put into it!).
To be truthful I’ve seen some awful mouse ****/$$it damage over the years…wondering if some Marvel Mystery Oil (or something like it) should be poured down to soak before moving pistons??
Any machine/vehicle left outside my barn (even one night) they get into it…it’s us vs them!
Great work!
Keep up the effort!!

yrens

I enjoy hearing the progress, but like you said got to have some pics(!)- especially when it comes to those four-legged-machine-killers (mice)! I’m confident that was a serious WHOA moment ;)
But the real benefit of the pictures will be when one of the HEF members spots something to save you time/effort/$…plus it’s a great way to show the next guy it CAN be done (or atleast the level of effort one must put into it!).
To be truthful I’ve seen some awful mouse ****/$$it damage over the years…wondering if some Marvel Mystery Oil (or something like it) should be poured down to soak before moving pistons??
Any machine/vehicle left outside my barn (even one night) they get into it…it’s us vs them!
Great work!
Keep up the effort!!
I hear you. And I’m kicking myself not stopping to take a photo of that “WHOA” moment. Lesson learned! On that subject I did try awhile back putting a video on but it would only take a picture? Any advice? As for the pistons not a bad suggestion. I had brake fluid sitting in there a few weeks before it finally broke free. Pulled the drain plug on the pan and it all came out due to the fact I didn’t have any oil in the main at that time. My time is closing in before winter and want this dozer running for awhile before shutting down until spring. It’s all down to the pony motor running good now.

D5Dan

Sorry HEF, I used slang for urine (which I believe does more equipment damage AND let’s the “next guy” find the way in).

Great idea using brake fluid, I bet the rust didn’t like that!!

Regarding posting videos; you’ll have to posted to YouTube (which we all KNOW Matt can help you with!!), then link to that video in your message. Then either “segment” your YouTube video to allow folks to find certain sections; and/or call out the minute(s) you want folks to view/comment on.

After cutting the padlock off, I too found a “colony” living in my storage area…but under all that “crap” I found the original tool kit.

54D5D6F8-D7EC-4DD6-8E13-87B2A46BDC15.jpeg A69B235E-9F35-4CA0-99BC-BF475B5742A6.jpeg 7CE9F6E4-3E37-4A45-A168-9A3DDC49DF8A.jpeg

yrens

Yeah isn’t that crazy. Looks very familiar, so does the shop vac I see barley to the left. I have removed that the clutch dry bay and under the radiator etc. At least you had a gift under all that stuff

Lumberjack Matt

Short update. Trip#8 I believe. I have fresh diesel in the tank and fresh oil in the engine. Figured I pull the intake manifold off since the air cleaner was missing and thats how the water found its way into the pistons most likely. Good thing I did because it was completely packed full from mice. A habitrail if you can imagine.The two center intake ports on the engine was almost unrecognizable since you couldn't see the ports! My only regret is I didn't take a picture.

At least you don't have to worry about them getting into the wiring! :D

yrens

Have the carb at home on the bench with new kit. It actually snowed today here in Minnesota My time is getting short for reaching my goal.