• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Commercial construction work pictures

RocketScott

I walked up to MLK way to get some lunch while they were getting answers and stopped by a job that I dug for them 10 years ago.

Did you go to Pho King?

The best part is if anyone asks how lunch was... "Pho King awesome"

Le Donut is good too. Bacon maple bars were my favorite

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Here we go. Got it somewhat packed down. Gave it a 2% out-slope. Maybe by accident. This machine has a x/Y slope indicator on the dash. Kind cool.

The material looks excessively sandy, but all the local roads are made with it. Holds up well. IMG_8395.jpeg

I feel like finding a compactor to hammer it down, or wait to spring. Everyday is borrowed time. Winter is hours away.

skyking1

nothing compacts it like a winter season.
Those slope indicators are one of the nice features on the Cat minis.
My suggestion is tune it up like that and get it all shaped up as you wish, then plan on regrading it in the late spring again. With material like that,depth is your friend, and you start to eyeball where will all that melt go? and plan accordingly.

skyking1

I've been working on that little tight building site for the last few days.
It started out with me having to dump my bedding into a footing dig to run across the top of it into the job.

1000001726.jpg

They finally figured out what to do with that deep floor drain, they deleted it!
The job is 100% unsuitable soils so I told him the best place for me to make the mountain was down in that low area
1000001759.jpg

I started it on the job and only 17 in down from subgrade and I still made that mountain.
I scratch the connection in just a foot under the footing dit and then 45 up the slope

1000001757.jpg
Unfortunately that storm pipe in the corner is going to have to get done under my pipe which is always backwards but, common.
I had to get all my pea gravel out of that footing so they could dig storm pipe through there on Monday.
1000001756.jpg

skyking1

I used my steel sheet a lot on this one.
Put a couple 2x4s on it so that I would pass over the string line without snipping it.
1000001755.jpg
By the end of the day I had redistributed all that pea gravel next to the trenches where they hadn't plumbed yet. Lots of 2x4 over the string line trick.
1000001760.jpg

I had dug and graded all that to 1% and 2% as needed.
This is that oddball job with a 28 inch section left to go as you see it. 12 inches of structural fill and a 16-in slab!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I thought I had a cold Friday, but it was oh so much more. My wife and I have the latest strain of Covid. Fever and chills and sore throat and repeat. We are both on the antivirals now and taking it easy.

That sucks. Wife and I got it when we went to the Auburn Cal game back in early September. Both times we've been to the west coast in the last couple of years one or both of us have come back with covid.

It wasn't that bad for us. Wife had it worse with fever and chills as the cough lingered for a month or so. I had stuffed sinuses and general fatigue but was over it in a week.

Get well!

skyking1

I have kicked the fever but Darling Wife (DW) is still running variable temps and body aches and pains.

skyking1

Pretty good overall. The fever has been long gone and I can breathe OK.
I checked on that first trunk job at this project. They dug out big footing digs and an elevator pit right next to and over the main trunk.
PXL_20231025_200743149.jpg

PXL_20231025_200809051.jpg

All I can say is I am glad this is not our design. What a mess.

skyking1

I had backfilled the other site Friday and moved the mini out, then got a load of trench boxes and steel sheets for that deep job that is starting tomorrow. I'm loaded up and plugged in for the night. The truck is a bit hard to start and I think It needs new batteries. That first cold snap will expose weak stuff.
It is supposed to just pour starting Wednesday night into Thursday. I hope to have half of the deep stuff under test at the end of Wednesday.
I ordered a 2" electric trash pump from the rental outfit. The office tried to get me to use a Honda trash pump and that is a non-starter. The electric runs all night and you have a dry trench the next morning.
The honda you have to shut down and secure, and you show up to an hour of pumping and a silty muddy mess in the morning. No thanks. We can handle $90 in rental pump and hose.

skyking1

I got the first two boxes in and the silty sand is just running in from under the boxes. When I took some shots the grade is all too high ( again ). I'll hook some more out and get pea gravel in there tomorrow and set that first stick and cleanout, but there is no stopping this infiltration. I'll dig my way out of this mess in the next 40' or so.
It is caving in fast. We'd dig dig dig and set the box, and the whole bank would calve off. I'll have to fill and pull these boxes up in stages when we get an inspection.

skyking1

We spent the morning patching soft spots, and then I hammered some stuff in and set the last box. The plumbers got the pipe in and I put big piles of pea gravel on it, and they filled the pipe for test. The cellular core DWV pipe will float even when full of water, so the ticket is to leave the gravel in piles when you go away overnight.
The plumbers want to rake it all out nice and just showing the top of the pipe for inspection, which does nothing for you if the power goes out and the trench fills up. We can do that tomorrow right before the inspector shows up.
We have 2 electric pumps running. I was hoping to be above the water table by now, and it is close. I may get it with the first set on Monday.
PXL_20231102_210318835.jpg

On another note, I found this big fresh check on my right steer tire. First stop in the morning is the tire shop for new steers. I am so pumped. I had no idea the age of these steers and now I don't have to figure that out.
PXL_20231102_213423303.jpg

skyking1

As you can see it is fresh black it just popped. It won't get a chance to cause any more trouble.