• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Commercial construction work pictures

skyking1

They are putting Ironman back. I crawled in and found the date code 0417.
They almost made 7 years.

skyking1

We got an inspection and I started raising up the boxes and filling as we went. I don't want that black stuff to shear off onto the trench line. If I have to dig some of it out I'd rather it was on each side.
I cut a 10" pipe for a well point to dewater the trench, and put it at the end outside the building.
The utilities crew can use it when they connect the sewer too.
PXL_20231103_202052480.jpg
The 2" pump is running about 2 garden hoses worth of water constantly. It looks like we will crawl up to where the water is below the pipe invert on Monday.

skyking1

new steers are the bomb!!
I know how they are on the car, but I did not expect it with the truck. I had them balanced and that was worth it IMO.
$1270 well spent of the bosses money :)

colson04

new steers are the bomb!!
I know how they are on the car, but I did not expect it with the truck. I had them balanced and that was worth it IMO.
$1270 well spent of the bosses money :)
I lost a set of drives this summer while hauling silage. I wish I would have checked the date code, but I never thought about it. We have had the truck for 6 years, and had never touched the tires. Local tire guy swapped them off on side of the road for us. Next morning, I met him at his shop and got the other 6 put on. It was really nice when we chopped corn and I wasn't the one slipping and spinning while chopping corn in the field.

skyking1

same angle after we pulled 4 of the boxes out and set them up ready to go back in. I slid the middle box 4' to get things spaced out right.
I pulled and filled the boxes in stages, so the sides would not cave in. This is necessary also to protect those vertical stacks. The bank can shear off and then snap the pipe at the bottom. That is a bad day!

PXL_20231106_183623866.jpg

I was hoping to dig our way above the water eventually. It never did happen. I have one more box to set in the morning. The sides are falling in pretty quickly, I won the race today though.
PXL_20231106_224712163.jpg

skyking1

3/4" of rain overnight revealed the reason for the trench cave in that we barely averted.
Oh look, locate tape!
PXL_20231107_162013812.jpg

It is the classic old trenchline next to your deeper trench. It is sneaky, they will hang on while you prepare to set the box and then a whole bunch will calve off at once with no cracking or warning.
I hope some aspiring utilities operators and pipelayers pay attention to pictures like these.
The solution was to unload the top of that trench, an abandoned 2" electrical conduit in this case. The ground is so bad that when it did fail before, it sheared all the way to the bottom of my trench, 4' below that conduit. The initiating force was that top 3' or so.
You can see the joint between boxes. I cut that load away as far as I could, flush with the end of the box.
PXL_20231107_174759015.jpg

There was a raft of junk at the outside where I popped out of the building that required some rearranging. I exited out and to the right past that silt fence when I was done.
PXL_20231107_163817294.jpg

skyking1

here is the last time I had ground open. We trenched next to the mid building footings, and I had to bench for safety on one side and for the electricians on the other. That worked out OK.
I have backfilled my pipe at this point, and heeled all the piles for weather. it looks like I care that way.
PXL_20231120_152904127.jpg

Waiting on an electrical inspection.

PXL_20231120_152937109.jpg
Usually I have excess soil when I get done, but I burned a bunch filling around those footings. It worked out OK.
PXL_20231122_202852930.jpg

The electrical inspector had not bought off on this equipment room and the fire guys had to dig in the sprinkler supply. They can take care of that from the outside. They did the dirt guys a disservice with the forms. I would have them leave a couple of windows in there, but they had to bring the cap break in the whole length of the building. Crappy planning IMO.
PXL_20231122_202922063.jpg

skyking1

I made that temporary loading dock at the office for a tenant, a glass shop. It was for bringing in cans of glass and blinds from China.
They do the darndest things loading the glass in the can. They must have some pretty nifty power tools over there.
This time it was loaded with long glass, longer then the can is wide. It was wedged in there tight and screwed down in ~4000 pound units. The glass guys did OK for a while, then the lost an entire case, it went over on its side and was a total loss. 4000 pounds of broken glass to hand load and shovel up and tip into the dumpster. You can see some of it on the ground there.
The crates are inadequate to begin with, and they managed to stack two of them in the can. The guys were brainstorming how to get that out and I told them to ask my boss if I can help. I wanted it to be a decision between the principals.
My boss said to help any way I can, and I laid out a plan. They scabbed the two crates together with lumber and screws, and then I drug the whole thing out with the excavator. It did not help that it was ~4' inside and I had do drag it at an angle to start with.
Once I could get over it we re-rigged it tight and ran a girdle strap back to the corner. It had my tracks off the ground a few times. Check out the list on the can. That is what 8000 pounds only 10" wide will do for you.
PXL_20231215_213541320.jpg

PXL_20231215_213607516.jpg

PXL_20231215_223516189.jpg
I had them put a sturdy jack leg on the back out of our way. That would squash you just the same as an 8x20 road plate, only heavier.
PXL_20231215_224242763.jpg

skyking1

I went back to the big apartment job to write up the confined entry permit and give a hand with the pumps, about 2 years after we set the structures.
PXL_20231204_170534260.jpg

PXL_20211021_202724219.jpg

PXL_20211021_204020869.jpg

We used the tower crane to set everything but that little oil/sand separator. That was a box-full and fun to get the box off it without moving it, so I had the guys fill it with water and I worked it up for a while before hooking the tower crane to it.
Things were going great and the atmosphere was testing good, until they started pressure washing the parking floor above.
As we all know, small engines have no emissions controls and put out more CO than a handful of clean running cars. Yeah Yeah, sure.
Today I got the demonstration.
This little Honda got that whole half a city block garage level above habitable levels, with huge fans exhausting the whole time.

PXL_20231219_172240214.jpg

We started the morning with ZERO CO on the meter, and suddenly it is over 25 and the alarm is squawking. I take a little walkabout and it is all bad, all over.
It is in the 25~35 PPM level, which is one hour max exposure. We get the crew above to cease with the pressure washing until we get done. In about 5 minutes the big garage fans clear it down below the alarm, and when I left it was back to zero again.

skyking1

Then things got a little funky. We started doing some BDSM with a goddess.
One of the guys at the office has a fountain to move.
We have moved it before with a crew of strong backs. This time we used diesel. We slung it up with the mini into the back of a truck, then I backed in at the destination and stayed on the trailer to unload it.
PXL_20231219_204431560.jpg

PXL_20231219_204553091~2.jpg

Here she is, all trussed up in some nylon straps.
PXL_20231219_205226018.jpg
I went back to check on the pump installation and they were done and gone.
While I was down there the fire alarm in the garage started going off. CO again and even higher levels to trigger that.
I got out and found they had a second pressure washer going now. :facepalm:

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
And I bet the pressure washers just kept going…….
I’ve worked in chambers under the slow lane with heavy traffic going past in the other 3 lanes and never had the gas detector go off. Cam

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
We were setting 8x10 box culverts in an existing line with 2 gas powered trash pumps running bypass above. Even out in the open the exhaust would set the meter off inside the culvert. The pumps were a good 15-20' away on the surface in front of the trench box.

skyking1

Every winter we hear about people expiring in their house, running a generator too close or in an open garage. It is good to have these discussions and see just how bad it can be.
@Camshawn I just left. There is no talking sense to the go-getters.
If you propose an electric pressure washer those are "not powerful enough"
Not on a regular 15 amp circuit they are not, but every one of these commercial jobs has spider boxes. Those are 50A @240V that would run a heck of an electric pressure washer.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
CO2 settles to low spots, modern autos convert much of the CO2 to something else but they do also displace O2 with exhaust, newer detection equipment we had at the nuke watched that as well. Normal O2 is around 20.8%, below 20% our detectors indicating depleting Level, at 19.7% Hard Alarm for TOO Low. May not kill you but will place into a unconscious state at around 19%. Many discount SO2, that from deposits of organics stirred up when moving wet organic laden soils or waste deposits human or otherwise. Had two vaults had to vent for close to a day and then could NOT step into the water in pit bottoms or pump it out as the trash there released SO2. Ended up having those replaced. Small engines are NOT efficient enough not to discharge CO2 at high levels, I too agree to the Spider Box swap to Electric Motor Driven in bad locations

skyking1

I mobilized yesterday, and it was clear that they were not likely to be ready on Friday. We went down and observed some of the worst jobsite coordination around. This GC has a master's degree in conducting a poop movie.
I had to hop over 2'+ tall stemwalls and preserve all these deep thickened footings. I could use 3 of my custom steel plates here.
Look inviting?

PXL_20231222_153555370.jpg

When I got there he was about to give away that drain rock and i said I could really use that to hop in over.

I dropped down over that stem wall and then thumbed the sheet in place up against the tracks, before I punched that footing dig in. It was too close to use the rigging and I had to do it on the slant. That's my best ground guy and I was lucky to have him on the job today.
PXL_20231222_164415716.jpg

Coming back out now after digging that area.

PXL_20231222_204510699.jpg

We were able to dig and prep about the top 1/3rd of the job, as they were still backfilling and then chopping up the rest. They were not done when we left, and the site was supposed to be ours today. The other three excavators told a different story :)
I hopped that grid line wall in two spots, without dirt ramps. It is hard on tracks and operators both.
I brought out all the unsuitable clay with me, it is under the plastic. We are cleaning as we go so they can just telelbelt the cap break after.
PXL_20231222_225815928.jpg

dust eater

There are days I look at your jobs and think "I really miss the the challenge." Then you post a turd job like that and I think "that super's parents paid good money for a construction management degree." At least you had good help, it's a long day when you're doing all their thinking too.