• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cummins 855 questions

Bluox

All good stuff, did you happen to see the bolt torque for the 6 bolt head--Bob.:)

Also there is nothing about a old Cummins that's written in stone, Cummins had a tendency of
throwing parts in all sorts of cpl's and before cpl's existed.
I looked at that ,480 FT.LBS. in fact I was digging thru a tool box the other day and saw my off set 3/4 drive socket for torquing those bolts under the water manifold .Some of the head gaskets called for a hot torque.
The only good part there is only 18 verses 36 for the 855 heads.
Yea the manual had is excess of a 100 different engine numbers H HU NH NTO NHC NHCT on & on.
Ever see a NHH motor the 743 & 672 horizontal models?
Bob

Bluox

Probably a dumb question but is the cpl like an arrangement number? I’m going to call diesel west in the morning. They claim they can fix anything and it also shows a number for reman heads.
Fix everything but a broken heart and the crack of dawn.
Have the serial number for them.
If they don't have heads they should be able to repair yours.
Bob

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
And none of those are even close to what this one has on it. This engine runs a raw water system. No radiator, it draws water from the river and circulates it like an oil cooler across the coolant. The exhaust manifold has coolant in it and looks like 3”x3” square tubing with a turn on top. I’ll take pics next time I’m there.

mekanik

Getting a bit off topic. I saved a Cummins parts book for the L series.
The L series had a 7" bore and was a six cylinder. It idled at 450 rpm
max horse power was produced at 900 rpm. It used the flanged injectors very similar to the NH220
The parts book was printed in 1959
Here are a few scans out of the parts book:
ZPgTarr.jpg

hQQAASt.jpg

6H66CUO.jpg

hbFYnPk.jpg

45uJU5s.jpg

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I hate industrial raw water cooling systems, they can get real gooped up, either surface water or tank, plus you can get biologicals in there too. If it was us we'd want to check any screens and the heat exchange too.

Mike L

Occupation
Called diesel cast west. $975 per head or I could ship mine to them and have the tubes installed for $350 each and then we still would have old heads. Got the customer to agree and got them ordered. Thank you truck shop.

Bluox

Called diesel cast west. $975 per head or I could ship mine to them and have the tubes installed for $350 each and then we still would have old heads. Got the customer to agree and got them ordered. Thank you truck shop.
Is the 975 new heads ?
is the 350 rebuild yours or just coppers?
Bob

Mike L

Occupation
Dredging up an old thread I started. Got a call today for another nh220-ih fire pump engine. Fuel and coolant mixing. haven’t seen it yet but I’m probably going down the injector coppers road again?