• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cummins 855 questions

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
It might be but I bet there’s more profit in me fixing it. I’ll know more in a day or two. It’s in another mill and I’m not sure what the budget will be.

Truck Shop

Too bad it's not a small cam 350, I have one that the block was machined and has crank,
reman rods with oem piston/liners-no heads or cam.

Tenwheeler

I did not read through all the pages of posts but will share this. Komatsu made a deal with Cummins. An old track hoe had a Komatsu Cummins 220 as best I recall. The crank was bad and the owner had a Freightliner with a big cam 350. There was something different at the back of the camshaft to housing seal? Also had to grind out something for the after cooler line to clear.
Buy a number stamp kit.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
It gets even more complex on the Komatsu front.

"In 1993, Komatsu formed two joint ventures with Cummins; Komatsu-Cummins Engine Corporation (KCEC) to manufacture Cummins engines in Japan, and the Cummins-Komatsu Engine Corporation (CKEC) to manufacture Komatsu engines in the United States".

Each JV company had the first-mentioned company as the 51% majority shareholder. So Komatsu controlled Komatsu-Cummins, and Cummins controlled Cummins-Komatsu.

From what I can recall, the Komatsu-Cummins engines used the Japanese-licenced Bosch inline pump fuel injection system (Diesel Kiki), instead of the Cummins PT fuel system.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Not to drift this awesome thread too far, but OzDozer makes a good point about the weird Cummins colab with Komatsu. I remember working on those strange engines during my short Komatsu career.

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
It's not just the Fire Marshall. I've been VFD for years. The feds are regulating us heavily now. We have trouble retaining VFs anymore because they need 10hrs a week of training to keep up with stupid federal lowest-common-denominator laws from Homeland such as NIMS, TIMS, hours of mind-numbing fed videos to watch yearly with no fast forward. It's killing VFDs nationwide, forcing us to hire pros instead. IMHO.

This requirement for a designated FD pump motor may or may not be a fed issue that you cite. I'd swap in a Big Cam 3 and not tell anyone. That's what my Chief would do, but we're old school here.
I have to agree with the swap plan. Other than the mechanic, 99% wont' know a Cummins 220 from from a BC4 if it was set in their lap.

Truck Shop

I’ve had 3 Johnson outboard engines that may have run at some point but I’ll be damned if I could keep them running. paddled every one of them home. Never hated something so much in my life.
Johnson Outboards are built by that other boat engine company that produced the----
Salt Water Chevy.--It's good to hear some hate and discontent over a mechanical item. :)

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Truck shop, they are telling me the issue is fuel in the engine oil. Injection pump seal? Can you give me some direction on this? TIA