• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D3g joystick issue

Jakes dozer

My d3g, serial number cfc589, appears to have what I believe is a joystick problem. The machine will come to an abrupt stop when tracking. You can put the machine back in neutral and then back in gear and it will track again. It may happen every 5 seconds or every couple of minutes. It is consistent enough that I can’t work it. The parking brake light and the oil light come on when this happens. Does anyone have any pointers that doesn’t involve letting cat have my machine and all my money?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Do you know how to extract Diagnostic Codes from the machine..? See below. Don't worry about the illustrated jumper wires for now. Simply pull the other half of the Harness Code connector off and see what the Diagnostic Indicator tells you. The connector is located inside the LH Console just above cab floor level. Look for an 8-pin connector with 5 wires coming into one side and two black looped wires on the other side of it.

I would imagine that there are some Codes. TBH I think it might not be the joystick.

upload_2020-9-18_8-58-47.png

The diagnostic indicator is used to get basic fault information from the control module. The various modes of displaying diagnostics are controlled by the termination of the harness code connector. The harness code connector is an eight pin connector. The female end of the DT connector accepts the termination plug. During normal operation, this plug is installed in the connector. If a system problem is detected by the ECM, the diagnostic indicator will turn on. The indicator will remain on if the problem is active.

When the termination plug is removed from the connector, the ECM will display the first problem. The problem is displayed by flashing the diagnostic indicator. A valid diagnostic code will consist of a series of flashes for the first digit. A short pause immediately follows the first series of flashes. Then, a second series of flashes will represent the second digit. Then, a third series of flashes will represent the third digit. If no diagnostic codes are present or logged, the ECM will broadcast code 222.

Jakes dozer

It is reading a 273 cat suggested changing the speed sensor, naturally that wasn’t it. So now we are looking into the proportional solenoid. Do you have any words from the wise? This is my first time fooling with a problem like this.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
It is reading a 273 cat suggested changing the speed sensor....
Did they suggest that before or after the 273 Code popped up.?
So now we are looking into the proportional solenoid. Do you have any words from the wise?
A 273 Code does indeed indicate a potential issue with the proportional solenoid for the right drive motor. The problem is that there are three potential fault modes and using the indicator does not tell you which one of the three modes it is. (If ET was being used as the Diagnostic Tool the Failure Mode would be indicated also). No major problem, you'll just have to perform all three of the attached Troubleshooting procedures and see what they throw up. A number of the tests are common between the three anyway.

A suggestion. Go to Page 7 of the attachment and perform the FMI06 procedure first.

Attachments

• RH Prop Solenoid Troubleshooting.pdf
    421.6 KB · Views: 13

Jakes dozer

They suggested changing the speed sensor after I gave them the 273 fault. So we went ahead and did that and are still in the same place.

Jakes dozer

Right, so Tomorrow we are going to do the check procedures you sent and move forward. I’m thinking it is going to be the solenoid, the machine has always randomly pulled to the right. So i feel like it has finally just went out.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
What is the voltage coming out of the alternator?

I have a D5G and the G's are very, very finicky with voltage. Had the same thing happen to my 5G and it was the alternator.

Easy to check voltage generated and easier to fix if that is the reason.

Jakes dozer

I will check that too. I had the batteries tested the other day and they said they were plenty hot, but I guess it is possible for the alternator to be putting out too much voltage. I will keep you guys updated, my wife and I really appreciate the words of wisdom! We are young and learning this business the hard way! Lol

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
14.4 V is the spec so the alternator is not the problem. Nige you're up.

Jakes dozer

Okay we got that cleared up and found a 245 transmission pilot solenoid. Are these common parts to fail? Cat said with the shirt we had we could have burnt the solenoid up. But since they are full of crap I would like some backfeed before just replacing everything we come across

Jakes dozer

We have a 245 code now. We found a short to the battery wire, when we fixed that short the Rh motor code cleared up. Once that cleared the 245 came up.

Jakes dozer

Okay I figured out how to scroll through the codes, it is showing 9 faults active. What is the chance that the ecm took a dump? The codes I have retrieved are 226, 244, 245, 246, 251, 255, 262, 452

Jakes dozer

Had to break down and have a mechanic come out, the ECM is headed to CAT to be flashed. Hopefully it won’t need to be replaced. Thank you guys for all your help.