• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D3g RH final drive problem

Jakes dozer

Serial cfc00589 d3g xl

My d3g has recently had an issue with one of the segments coming off and hanging up the Rh track. Once I got that issue resolved, it has now stopped tracking properly. It will track a foot forward and the same in reverse. I busted the chains apart and lifted the machine to clear the segments from the chain, and it is still doing it. Any ideas on what could be going on? I am guessing all of the abrupt stops from the segment previously hanging up the drive motor probably damaged an internal gear. Any tips are thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Have you at least had a look at the magnetic plug for the final drive.? If something is worn/broken there is a good chance it might be stuck to that plug. At least it will give you some idea of what you might be up against.
If the plug is on the rotating part of the final drive and you can get it somewhere near the top you won't lose much oil when you remove it. If it is on the inside of the case you have no other alternative than to drain the oil.

Jakes dozer

Not exactly sure why they were backing off. But after retapping the holes with a 9/16 tap and some loctite they seem to be staying in place.

Master Link

Occupation
Heavy Equipment repair
I thought the D3 segment used a bolt and nut set up? Also I think they are 1/2 threads. The System One segments may be different but I'm at home now and don't have any books here.

Jakes dozer

They were 1/2” threaded in the hub. The holes were wallowed out from the segment walking off. I re tapped them with a 9/16 since that was the next size up. The segment issue has been resolved. Now I am having the problem of the machine tracking a foot and the right track stopping. Left track keeps right on tracking. I am checking the oil and speed sensor as nige suggested tomorrow.

Master Link

Occupation
Heavy Equipment repair
If it only goes a foot forward and reverse then there is a possibility you may have broken a gear. You have three small planetary gears on the outside part of the final drive. If one of those broke it would probably limit travel as there isn't much room in there for the pieces to fall out of the way. If you don't have a parts book to look at the exploded view you can Google D3G final drive find a drawing of it.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I checked the oil in the final, and saw no metal in it at all.
If that's the case it is probable one of the gears in the planetary has lost a tooth and you are going to be disassembling it to find out which one and what other damage it might have done. TBH I don't think your loose sprocket segment issue has anything to do with this problem.

Jakes dozer

We will be tearing into it tomorrow. Cat seems to believe it is the hydraulic drive motor. I pulled the sun gear and the hub spins freely. I put it in gear and saw no rotation in the inner splines.

Jakes dozer

As it turns out, it was the bull gear, pinion shaft, and a couple of bearings in the final. Thank you for all the help! I am curious as to why this machine fairly consistently blows the hose between the two main pumps. I do not see any external wear on the hose when we replace it. It typically costs us 3 buckets of oil so I would love to get it figured out. It is only about 8 inches long but brings the whole operation to an abrupt halt.

Jakes dozer

I typically use a local shop that makes all of my hoses and I never have a problem with them. I will see about getting some pictures in the morning.

Jakes dozer

I will see about a picture in the morning. It wraps under the pump. The high end is on the right hand side then goes up under the bottom. If it is supposed to be steel that would explain a lot.