• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6R Driveshaft yoke removal

Aaron.ampcon

Hello need some help with regard to procedure to remove transmission yoke for driveshaft. Yoke moves a little but would not slide fully out.

Attachments

• 20231012_111136.jpg
    20231012_111136.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
It should just slide off. There is no retainer or snap ring.
Did you take the plate or ring off that has four bolts in it on the front of the trans. You can put that back on as it is not related to yoke removal.
If there is a frost plug in the middle of the yoke you can pop that out and then use a jaw puller against the shaft.

Aaron.ampcon

It should just slide off. There is no retainer or snap ring.
Did you take the plate or ring off that has four bolts in it on the front of the trans. You can put that back on as it is not related to yoke removal.
If there is a frost plug in the middle of the yoke you can pop that out and then use a jaw puller against the shaft.
Yes I did remove the ring with the four bolts I will re-install. Yes there is a freeze plug in the centre. I tried using bolts in the threaded holes of the yoke as jacking bolts but it doesn't move much and then comes to a point where it sticks. Shaft slides freely for about half inch and stops

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Not familiar with the D6R where is that yoke shown in the picture mounted?
Also a S/N might help find information on SIS

Aaron.ampcon

Is there any rotational “slop” in the yoke that you can feel.? If so it could be there is a step somewhere on the shaft splines due to wear, and that would make it a real pain to get off. Maybe even transmission out time
No I dont feel any slop

tctractors

As already said that coupling should pull out easily just leaving the bare shaft, somehow it must have spline damage so it looks like you will need to attack it with the ugly kit the big hammer, it will be hard to effect any side movement if there is a any spline wear due to not being able to lock the shaft, at the worst you might have to pop the transmission out but its only about 3 hours work to do it on your own, you might want to try bolting a large steel plate to the coupling through the U.J. bolts and making more effort on pulling free.

Aaron.ampcon

As already said that coupling should pull out easily just leaving the bare shaft, somehow it must have spline damage so it looks like you will need to attack it with the ugly kit the big hammer, it will be hard to effect any side movement if there is a any spline wear due to not being able to lock the shaft, at the worst you might have to pop the transmission out but its only about 3 hours work to do it on your own, you might want to try bolting a large steel plate to the coupling through the U.J. bolts and making more effort on pulling free.
Gonna try mounting a long bar to yoke with bolts on both ends and jack against the case and see if I get any success

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I think you would do better popping the plug and using a jaw puller against the shaft. That way you’re not popping the snap ring off the output shaft.

Aaron.ampcon

I think you would do better popping the plug and using a jaw puller against the shaft. That way you’re not popping the snap ring off the output shaft.
Tried popping the plug but there isn't enough space to use a hammer properly. Any tricks or ideas?

Dave Neubert

Its just a thin plug just blow a hole in it then pry it out there wont be enough heat build up to hurt it that way