• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D7F injection pump

Jchuff95

I have a D7F with believed to be a 3306 in it but I have serial and pump number. But what I’m looking for is any info on getting rusted bushing(internal splined nut) out of the top of pump and any diagrams for gaskets and a damaged thrust bearing plus washers in governor housing… TIA

Cat dealer has been no help in finding ANY information

Serial# 94N1638
Pump housing# 5S7999
Governor housing# 7S8825

Old Magnet

That's an early s/n unit with D333C engine.The 3306 for the 94N didn't come in until s/n 84N5192. Uses the compact fuel injection (early scroll) injection pump and matching governor. Takes a splinned socket tool to remove the pump retainer nuts. Can be a bugger to remove if the nut/s are corroded/damaged.

Jchuff95

Thank you for the engine information anything helps. Can you still find the nuts for this pump? I have the tools but they started to strip splines, I tried a little heat and air hammer on the socket just to vibrate it.

The rack got stuck and was forced back and forth with governor weights damaging the bearing. But the pump is now freed up and working. I’ll have to reinstall pump and adjust the idle screws.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
If u strip the inside of the bonnet, I’ve seen guys”try” to walk it out w a pin punch.. it don’t work..
U end up hitting the housing and that’s not good..
The only way I’ve seen it work is to braze/weld a nut to the bonnet and use an air gun to zip it out..
Good luck.. it ain’t fun..

Jchuff95

Back again with a question, any of you helpful guys got a better diagram of governor housing, assembly or setting of governor? Found I had 3 stuck pumps but forgot order of small spring in governor and my diagram doesn’t show it well

Joe H

Nige, I've been wondering for a long time about those Cat pages you post.

Are the pictures in the actual Cat manuals as poor as what shows up here that I see?

Joe H

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Nige, I've been wondering for a long time about those Cat pages you post.

Are the pictures in the actual Cat manuals as poor as what shows up here that I see?

Joe H
In the case of the docs I posted above the last update to them was done in 1971. I think that explains a lot.
If you think Cat manuals are poor you should see the rest.......

Joe H

Nige, I was a Jag mechanic for 30 years. Brit manuals, when it says "With a suitable prising bar" you know you're in deep ****.

Step 1 of anything is "Disconnect battery". Checking washer fluid, disconnect battery.

Joe H

Jchuff95

Well the issue I’m seeing now is does anyone know the direction of collar 36. Shows flat towards spring and shoulder towards back, and some pictures show shoulder inside spring?

Jchuff95

Follow up and questions

I’m only working on this dozer when I’m free for a neighbor(in remote wooded area 20° slope ,no electricity around) had multiple no call/no shows on repair so I’m stuck doing it.

Original problem was 3 rusted/stuck gears(rod) on injection pumps, replaced those 3 pumps(local cat didn’t even have a part for the number in manual, so I got foreign), new seals and bonnets.

The pump is assembled and passed all the checks described in book(rack travel and injector depth), torqued bonnets with new CAT seals to 150lbs. Didn’t mess with governor other than rpm(have them set about 50% high and low)

He’s the problem now we separated this at pump and transfer flange, just slid oring out. Reinstalled with new oring.

#1) Im getting fuel out of injector lines with fuel “off or on” is this normal?(rack is fully back)

#2) I’m getting steady fuel to bleeder screw on filter housing and injector lines at injectors, BUT only under gravity or hand primer. When you crank it shoots a good stream then foamy fuel, no external leaks seen.

^^^will turn over, sometimes hit on one cylinder but has not ran

#3) an older gentleman told me the rectangular coupler on the pump is fool proof to a point, my question is the motor to pump 1:1 ratio. lined it up with unique wear marking on it but I’m still worried it maybe a 1:3 or something?

Transfer pump and hand primer stayed in place on motor

Sorry it’s lengthy but you guys are my only help

Dave Neubert

Have you tried cranking wile injector lines are loose they should spray fuel out. It dont matter if pump is off ro on you should get fuel out of the lines have you tried giving it a sniff of starting fluid