• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DOT INSPECTIONS - insane

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
I have no issue regarding safety.But what is happening is just pure unadultrated BS!!!--If true safety was on our lawmaker's minds,then cars,light trucks,and ALL motor homes{ESPECIALLY HUGE DIESEL PUSHERS],WOULD be subject to the same mindless,intrusive,arrogant spot inspections we have to endure.Hell,I remember when cops had roadside inspections just for sticker compliance and a cop would actually give your tires a look-see.They don't even do that anymore.If I could afford it,I'd transport my iron in a custom made huge RV,all gutted out,all set up with hydraulic ramps and just smile at those bastards as I drive by.

nedly05

I have no issue regarding safety.But what is happening is just pure unadultrated BS!!!--If true safety was on our lawmaker's minds,then cars,light trucks,and ALL motor homes{ESPECIALLY HUGE DIESEL PUSHERS],WOULD be subject to the same mindless,intrusive,arrogant spot inspections we have to endure.Hell,I remember when cops had roadside inspections just for sticker compliance and a cop would actually give your tires a look-see.They don't even do that anymore.If I could afford it,I'd transport my iron in a custom made huge RV,all gutted out,all set up with hydraulic ramps and just smile at those bastards as I drive by.

LMAO, I love it. Now you've got me thinkin!!!

Extendahoe

I see alot of upset folks here and rightfully so... I'm new to the forum here. I'm a certified DOT inspector.... theres alot going on here that you may not know and yes it is unfortunate for good folks just trying to make a living. I've been with State Police for 10 Years... I get discouraged because of what I'm ask to do. Folks I'm on your side here... I've worked in construction most of my life... just joined this forum because I was thinking of buying a backhoe... that was one of my many jobs years ago an equipment operator.... Got to go for now, i will be back soon. Hey, i'll have to admit I'm a little nervous admitting to being an inspector so take it easy on me guys.. LOL I will be glad to share anything with anyone here and I promise to shoot you straight.

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner-Equipment & Parts Sales
dariray
i am curious do you have a fifth wheel hitch ?- when does fifth wheel go from pick up to tractor trailer? does this mean you reg trk . for wight , and do not have to reg. trailer for wight ?

Oops didn't see this question until now. :)

yes I have a goosneck hitch (ball) and I HAVE to reg both truck and trailer here in NY. But to be compliant in all States i had to up my combine GVW of my truck to 40,000 pounds. :)

Darin

MJB1

Occupation
animal feed delivery driver
wow, just read this topic & it seems you chaps are all over the place on weights & stuff , sorry i'm english but does this mean each state has their own individual laws & interpretations on how trucks are weighed & taxed ?

over here we're taxed & weighed acording to axle configuration i drive a VOLVO FM12 440hp 3axle unit with a 2 axle trailer which gives me a gross of 40 tons although i could be taxed to run at 41t, to run at our maximum 44t we need a 3axle unit & 3axle trailer , & this covers the whole country , although like you we are obliged to stop & follow for weighing if asked,it's rare to be overloaded nowadays but it can happen , but as long as it's within 5% of you GVW a fine can be issued , i have a weigher on my trailer so ive no excuse to be overloaded .

MJB1

Occupation
animal feed delivery driver
must add that much of our roadside stops are for roadworthyness of the vehicle & tachograph checks to make sure the driver has kept track of his driving hours & rest breaks , if you get caught for tacho offences thats when the crap hits the fan !

nedly05

I see alot of upset folks here and rightfully so... I'm new to the forum here. I'm a certified DOT inspector.... theres alot going on here that you may not know and yes it is unfortunate for good folks just trying to make a living. I've been with State Police for 10 Years... I get discouraged because of what I'm ask to do. Folks I'm on your side here... I've worked in construction most of my life... just joined this forum because I was thinking of buying a backhoe... that was one of my many jobs years ago an equipment operator.... Got to go for now, i will be back soon. Hey, i'll have to admit I'm a little nervous admitting to being an inspector so take it easy on me guys.. LOL I will be glad to share anything with anyone here and I promise to shoot you straight.

Would you write a ticket for a brake 1/8 ouy of adjustment, or just mention it to the driver, and tell him to adjust it when he got back to the shop for the day?

Grader4me

Welcome to the forum Extendahoe...:drinkup No worries as we have a great bunch of people here. Be nice to hear views from the other side of the coin so to speak. I'm sure you will get lots of questions, and I for one like the phrase "I promise to shoot you straight"
Enjoy the forum.

nedly05

Extendahoe, may I capitalize on your knowledge? I know what they do, and look for during the level 1 and level 2 inspections, but is there anything published (or can you just tell me) that i can access so that when I am doing my routine maintenance I can look at it and know that my brakes are in adjustment, i dont have too much steering play... That way I can be confident that I have done the best I can and not forgotten something, a checklist so to speak. I will tell you all I know about backhoes if you help me, I promise!!!:D

Extendahoe

Would you write a ticket for a brake 1/8 ouy of adjustment, or just mention it to the driver, and tell him to adjust it when he got back to the shop for the day?

Would I write a ticket for a brake 1/8 out "no way" and if you got a tic.. for that then that totally uncalled for. All inspectors are "supposed" to be going by the same guide book and that the Out Of service Criteria with states what is and isnt a out of service item. I wouldnt even mention and 1/8 inch.. omg .

Extendahoe

Extendahoe, may I capitalize on your knowledge? I know what they do, and look for during the level 1 and level 2 inspections, but is there anything published (or can you just tell me) that i can access so that when I am doing my routine maintenance I can look at it and know that my brakes are in adjustment, i dont have too much steering play... That way I can be confident that I have done the best I can and not forgotten something, a checklist so to speak. I will tell you all I know about backhoes if you help me, I promise!!!:D

Check with fmcsa Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration online I haven't been on their site in a while... possibly the info your looking for may be there. I have with me all the things your asking about but I dont have anyway of uploading that to this forum.. thats alot of info... is there an area in particular your interested in... I'll try to help in any way i can... meanwhile I will go to the fmcsa site myself and see if that info is there or i may can find you a check list... if i cant and you dont have a particular area your concerned about then I can give you a good guide to go over when you do your walk around or you maint.

nedly05

Would I write a ticket for a brake 1/8 out "no way" and if you got a tic.. for that then that totally uncalled for. All inspectors are "supposed" to be going by the same guide book and that the Out Of service Criteria with states what is and isnt a out of service item. I wouldnt even mention and 1/8 inch.. omg .

He didnt put me OOS, but he had to write me for something i guess?? I've been trying to keep up with thing to get my CVSA decal or as we call it "good boy sticker" but everytime I get a level one I get some piddly little ticket. Last time the brake hose to the right rear chamber was touching on the frame crossmember when loaded, it wasnt event chafed, just marked a little. I had no problem with fixing that, but did I need to get a ticket for it?? I guess so!

Check with fmcsa Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration online I haven't been on their site in a while... possibly the info your looking for may be there. I have with me all the things your asking about but I dont have anyway of uploading that to this forum.. thats alot of info... is there an area in particular your interested in... I'll try to help in any way i can... meanwhile I will go to the fmcsa site myself and see if that info is there or i may can find you a check list... if i cant and you dont have a particular area your concerned about then I can give you a good guide to go over when you do your walk around or you maint.

I'm just looking for an outline of what needs to be done so I dont miss anything. I would like to get my "good boy sticker" one of these times. It would be really nice to pull out of there with no tickets, and a decal! Thanks for your help!

Extendahoe

The following are some links i found real quick on line.... may not be what you want but may help somebody.

http://www.dot.gov/affairs/cbtsip/inspchecklist.htm

http://www.pdfgeni.com/book/annual-dot-truck-inspection-checklist-pdf.html

http://www.dmv.org/

Got the following from an online source,, some inspectors go directly from a book with guides like the following.... personally I know where 98% of defects are found so I dont use a guide of al list anymore, the following will give you an idea of the things to be mindful of...

Why do they normally pull you over if you are travelling down the road? What are they looking for, to want to pull you over? Or what gives them a reason to do this?
Tail light out? Headlight out?
1)• Observe the driver’s overall condition for illness, fatigue or other signs of impairment.
2)• Check for illegal presence of alcohol, drugs, weapons or other contraband.

4. Interview Driver
• Ask for the following from the driver: starting location, final destination, load description, time traveled, most
recent stop, fueling location(s).
• Talk to the driver about the trip.
5. Collect the Driver’s Documents
• Medical Examiner’s Certificate (if applicable).
• Skill Performance Evaluation (SPE) Certificate (if applicable).
• Driver’s license, CDL, record of duty status.
• Shipping papers.
• Periodic inspection certificates, CVIP.
• Supporting documents: bills of lading, receipts, other documents used to verify record of duty status.
6. Check for the Presence of Hazardous Materials/Transportation of Dangerous Goods
• Check shipping papers, placards, any leaks or spills, unsecured cargo, markings and labels.
7. Identify the Carrier
• Identify carrier using the following: vehicle identification, vehicle registration, insurance, driver interview.
8. Examine Driver’s License
• Expiration date
• Class
• Endorsements
• Restrictions
• Status

9. Check Medical Examiner’s Certificate and Skill Performance Evaluation (SPE) Certificate
• Check certificate date (valid for 24 months).
• Check corrective lens requirement.
• Check hearing aid requirement.
• Check physical limitations.
10. Check Record of Duty Status
• Hours of Service verification.
• 100 Air-Mile radius or 160 KM radius exemption.
• Accuracy of record.
11. Review Driver’s Daily Vehicle Inspection Report (If Applicable)
• Ensure the inspection report describes the identity of the vehicle and the presence of deficiencies/defects.
• Check for driver signature on previous inspection reports.
12. Review Periodic Inspection Report
• Ensure vehicle has passed the required inspection and has the required documents and decals.
13. Prepare Driver for Vehicle Inspection
• Explain the vehicle inspection procedure.
• Advise the driver in the use of hand signals.
• Check chock blocks.
• Prepared the vehicle, vehicle transmission in neutral. Engine off, key must be in the “on” position and release all
brakes.
• Instruct diver to remain at the controls.
14. Inspect Front of Tractor
• Check headlamps and turn signals (do not use four way flashers to check turn signals) for improper color,
operation, mounting and visibility.
• Check windshield wipers for improper operation (two wipers are required unless one can clean the driver’s field
of vision).
15. Inspect Left Front Side of Tractor
• Check left front wheel, rim, hub and tire.
16. Inspect Left Saddle Tank Area
• Check left fuel tank area.
• Check exhaust system.
17. Inspect Trailer Front
• Check air and electrical lines.
18. Check Left Rear Tractor Area
• Check wheels, rims, hubs and tires.
• Check lower fifth wheel.
• Check upper fifth wheel.
• Check sliding fifth wheel.
• Check lamps.
Caution: Never place yourself in between tires of tandem axles.

19. Inspect Left Side of Trailer
• Check frame and body.
• Check condition of hoses.
• Check van and open-top trailer bodies.
• Check cargo securement.
20. Left Rear Trailer Wheels
• Check wheels, rims, hubs and tires.
• Check sliding tandem.
21. Rear of Trailer
• Check tail, stop, turn signals and lamps on projecting loads.
• Check cargo securement.
22. Inspect Double and Triple Trailers
• Check safety devices: full trailers/converter dollies.
• Check the safety devices (chains/wire rope) for sufficient number, missing components, improper repairs and
devices that are incapable of secure attachments. Inspect pintle hook, eye and drawbar for cracks, excessive
movement and improper repairs.
23. Inspect Right Rear Trailer Wheels
• Check as in step 20.
24. Inspect Right Side of Trailer
• Check as in step 19.
25. Inspect Right Rear Tractor Area
• Check as in step 18.
26. Inspect Right Saddle Tank Area
• Check as in step 16.
27. Inspect Right Front Side of Tractor
• Check as in step 15.
28. Inspect Steering Axle
• Check steering system (both sides).
• Check front suspension (both sides).
• Check front axle.
• Check frame and frame assembly.
• Check front brakes (both sides).
• Check and mark push rods (both sides).
Note: Inform the driver that you are going under the vehicle. Enter the under carriage in view of the driver. (At
front of power unit, rear of power unit and in front of trailer axle(s).
Page 4
37 - Point Level I Truck Safety Inspection Checklist
U.S. Department of Transportation
29. Inspect Axles 2 and/or 3 (Under Carriage of CMV)
• Suspension (both sides).
• Brake components (both sides).
• Mark all pushrods “S” cam brakes (both sides).
• Exit under carriage in view of driver.
30. Inspect Axles 4 and/or 5
• Same as step 29.
31. Check Brake Adjustment
• Ensure air pressure is 90-100 p.s.i.
• Have driver fully apply brakes and hold.
• Measure and record all push rod travel.
• Identify size and type of brake chambers.
• Ensure brake lining to drum contact.
32. Test Air Loss Rate
• Apply brakes while the engine is idling, the governor has cut in and pressure is 80-90 p.s.i.
33. Test Low Air Pressure Warning Device
• Observe dash gauges while ignition is “on” and the driver is pumping the foot valve to approximately 55 p.s.i.
34. Inspect Tractor Protection System (This procedure tests both the tractor protection valve and the emergency
brakes.)
• Have driver release brakes and disconnect both brake lines.
• Full brake application.
35. Check Steering Wheel Lash
• Measure steering wheel lash while wheels are straight and the engine is running.
36. Check Fifth Wheel Movement
• Prepare the driver and vehicle.
• Check for excessive movement.
Caution: If conducted improperly, this method of checking for fifth-wheel movement can result in serious damage to
the vehicle. Use caution and instruct the driver carefully.
37. Complete the Inspection
• Complete documentation.
• Conclude with driver.
• Follow correct and current OOS procedures (if applicable).
• Issue CVSA decal (if applicable).

Last edited:

nedly05

Thats great, thank you! how often do you give out good boy stickers to dump truckers?

Around here they just set up in certain areas, usually pull of areas and set up shop. I have been stopped by a trooper headed in the opposite direction though. The job we finished on Friday, a DOT van went by, both thurs and fri, and never even looked over at us, we had two trucks just sitting there on the side of the road like sitting ducks!

Last edited:

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Just thought of something reading Extendahoe's post---It's extremely important for guys that have electric brake trailers to tell the DOT officer to disconnect FIRST the trailer plug BEFORE he pulls the brake-a-way switch.If something isn't wired right,shorted,etc.,there is the possibility the brake controller will get ruined.They always think I'm a wiseass when I mention this,but they usually don't know.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Here in Wisconsin some of the local municipal and county police and sheriff departments have been sending people to school to become inspectors. Got stopped by one of the locals some time ago with my lowboy hauling a D3 Cat and Cat 939 track loader on a common load. After the"inspector" got past the tire tread depth and lights he was totally lost. Had no wheel chocks, just told me to "keep it in gear" while checking brake adjustment. About all he managed there was to make sure they were moving, didn't measure travel. Seemed completly puzzled by the DOT Spec numbers on my red and blue air hoses between the tractor and trailer. Never looked at or checked how my load was chained down. Hour and a half later I am on my way with no tickets. Village President and I had a discussion about it the next time I saw him.

Extendahoe

Just thought of something reading Extendahoe's post---It's extremely important for guys that have electric brake trailers to tell the DOT officer to disconnect FIRST the trailer plug BEFORE he pulls the brake-a-way switch.If something isn't wired right,shorted,etc.,there is the possibility the brake controller will get ruined.They always think I'm a wiseass when I mention this,but they usually don't know.

Your right tuney.... I have done the brake check both ways, luck has it i haven't broke one by not disconnecting first, I always do that now.
Just reading different post from peeps in different states, its quite different from state to state how things are enforced. Federal Motor Carrier has plenty of funds that encourage departments to start an inspecting team. The more inspections the more money.... more oos trucks and drivers the better you look in the eyes of the feds... plane and simple.

Extendahoe

Thats great, thank you! how often do you give out good boy stickers to dump truckers?

Around here they just set up in certain areas, usually pull of areas and set up shop. I have been stopped by a trooper headed in the opposite direction though. The job we finished on Friday, a DOT van went by, both thurs and fri, and never even looked over at us, we had two trucks just sitting there on the side of the road like sitting ducks!

CVSA stickers are a 'big deal" drivers and their trucks should get their sticker if they pass the inspection, many inspectors don't like keeping up with them "you have to keep those under lock and key. almost" all stickers assigned to you must be accounted for at the end of each quarter of the year. Inspectors must document what company and vehicle ech sticker goes too. Soom lazy inspectors simply find a reason not to give out the sticker even when they should.

Extendahoe

As far as how often I give "good ole boy stickers out" of course to get a cvsa sticker you must pass a Level 1 full inspection... no other level gets a sticker. I dont discriminate so dump buggies get stickers just like the rest. Inspections are just one small portion of my work... I'm required to do 32 inspection per year just to stay certified. Thats standard across the country. So, I get my 32 pretty early in the year, then I can be pickie about what I inspect for the rest of the year. Working crash's and working traffic takes up most of my time... doesnt leave alot for inspections.

nedly05

CVSA stickers are a 'big deal" drivers and their trucks should get their sticker if they pass the inspection, many inspectors don't like keeping up with them "you have to keep those under lock and key. almost" all stickers assigned to you must be accounted for at the end of each quarter of the year. Inspectors must document what company and vehicle ech sticker goes too. Soom lazy inspectors simply find a reason not to give out the sticker even when they should.

That explains why I havent gotten one then! each level 1 I've gotten this year has come up with a chicken !@$& ticket...I've been through 3 this season!