• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DOT INSPECTIONS - insane

Extendahoe

I was inspected at the Echo, UT POE on the 19th of November...got a sticker for the truck but not for the trailer (the ABS light was inop) on the 30th of November in Gillette, WY at the POE, a WDOT insp inspected me AGAIN, despite my arguments against it..and I got a sticker for the trailer..BUT...she pulled the sticker OFF the truck....turns out a TAILLIGHTwas burned out...mind you, the light is not required if you are hooked to a trailer..but..if it's there, it has to work,,,I offered to go to the gas station next door, to purchase a new bulb an replace it, to keep the sticker on the windshield..she told me I had to get the insp signed off, and resubmit the vehicle for insp.....
and they try to say it's about safety...the FDHSMV pays each state for the number and type of inspections they do..ludicrious...

I've never heard of removing a sticker from a windshield.... that sticker once issued is yours and assigned to that truck and that company... it should never be removed.

Extendahoe

I was inspected at the Echo, UT POE on the 19th of November...got a sticker for the truck but not for the trailer (the ABS light was inop) on the 30th of November in Gillette, WY at the POE, a WDOT insp inspected me AGAIN, despite my arguments against it..and I got a sticker for the trailer..BUT...she pulled the sticker OFF the truck....turns out a TAILLIGHTwas burned out...mind you, the light is not required if you are hooked to a trailer..but..if it's there, it has to work,,,I offered to go to the gas station next door, to purchase a new bulb an replace it, to keep the sticker on the windshield..she told me I had to get the insp signed off, and resubmit the vehicle for insp.....
and they try to say it's about safety...the FDHSMV pays each state for the number and type of inspections they do..ludicrious...
We axle out our natural resources haulers at roadside from time to time, it that cross a scale complex then they get axled out aswell.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
What constitutes natural resources? Gravel, washed sand, hot mix asphalt couldbe classified as manufactured products.

This sounds like a strange way to pick out whom to axle out.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
I have also argued with local cops who think my CDL is a State License! I have corrected my local yokel at to my CDL is a FEDERAL license issued by the State of Ohio!

rino, I'm trying to find where the CDL is a federal license. Do you have any place that references that?

I did find the following at:
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/cdl/cdl.htm

"It is important to note that the Act does not require drivers to obtain a separate Federal license; it merely requires States to upgrade their existing testing and licensing programs, if necessary, to conform with the Federal minimum standards. "

Everything I read says it's a State license. :confused:

CinOK

It is a federal license in the fact that if it is suspended in one state it is suspended in all. Not so for a passenger car license. The laws are federal laws not state laws he test and requirements are the same for all. The only time the cdl is used for intrastate is if the diver is under 21 You must be 21 to cross state lines with a commercial vech.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
It is a federal license in the fact that if it is suspended in one state it is suspended in all. Not so for a passenger car license. The laws are federal laws not state laws he test and requirements are the same for all. The only time the cdl is used for intrastate is if the diver is under 21 You must be 21 to cross state lines with a commercial vech.

I'm pretty sure that if your car license is suspended at home it's suspended in another state too. If you read the info in the link you'll see that the laws aren't federal, but the state laws must meet federal minimum requirements. That doesn't make it a federally issued license.

rino

Occupation
Drive steel bed Dump Truck for a paving company
Orchard Ex: As I remember when I went to TDS (I could have grandfathered, but NO I'll NEVER need a CDL) We were discussing the CDL, and the instructor for the class came in with the article that the CDL was a Federally mandated and controlled license Issued by the State. With Issue the State has again tried to control the CDL, but it IS a Federal License, Rules and regs are up to US DOT. The last time I looked, this was a branch of the Federal Government not the state DOT!

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
rino:Read the info on the US DOT web site. It clearly says that it is not a federal license. It is a State license. The state must set the minimum requirements to qualify for the license at or above the federal minimum standards. That's all. Don't confuse setting minimums as the same as setting the regulations. Complying with the minimum standards doesn't make it a federal license.
Kind of like when we had the federally mandated 55 mph speed limit. You weren't breaking a federal law when you were speeding, just a state law. But if the state didn't set the standards to the federal mandate, then federal funding to the state for transportation projects would be taken away. I'm sorry if someone told you the wrong information. Don't believe me though, look it up for yourself in the link I posted above.
If the regulations governing CDL's were federal then they would be the same in each state and we wouldn't have the confusion of things like some states letting you get an unrestricted CDL in a truck with an automatic transmission, or the "Limited Class A" that some states have and others don't.
And by the way, I actually do have a federally issued license (not for trucking though). It says US Dept. of Transportation at the top, It doesn't mention my state except for my address. My state issued CDL doesn't mention the USDOT anywhere on it.
If you still aren't convinced then we can just "agree to disagree" on this one.

CinOK

Somehow the feds are wrapped up in it the test is the same state to state. Also if you have a Hazmat endorsement you have been aproved by Dept of Homeland Security.

CinOK

COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY ACT OF 1986

The Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 was signed into law on October 27, 1986. The goal of the Act is to improve highway safety by ensuring that drivers of large trucks and buses are qualified to operate those vehicles and to remove unsafe and unqualified drivers from the highways. The Act retained the State's right to issue a driver's license, but established minimum national standards which States must meet when licensing CMV drivers.

The Act corrects the situation that existed prior to 1986 by making it illegal to hold more than one license and by requiring States to adopt testing and licensing standards for truck and bus drivers to check a person's ability to operate the type of vehicle he/she plans to operate.

It is important to note that the Act does not require drivers to obtain a separate Federal license; it merely requires States to upgrade their existing testing and licensing programs, if necessary, to conform with the Federal minimum standards.

The CDL program places requirements on the CMV driver, the employing motor carrier and the States

Extendahoe

You are correct CinOK... its a state license be it a CDL or a non-cdl if your suspended or revoked in your issuing state then your suspended or revoked across the U.S. Our fed. gov. mandates indivisual states to do or comply to or upgrade to certain things its then up to your state to comply...

Extendahoe

What we all need to remember and most folk forget is a "license to drive" is a privilege and not a "right".... if your license is suspended or revoked your license is no-longer valid for driving... your right to drive has been taken away. We may not like this idea... but its just fact. We are a nation of laws and bylaws rules and regualtions.. too many of all this of course, its ashame we couldnt have a happy medium.

Extendahoe

COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY ACT OF 1986

It is important to note that the Act does not require drivers to obtain a separate Federal license; it merely requires States to upgrade their existing testing and licensing programs, if necessary, to conform with the Federal minimum standards.

And this is what states did in 1986... thats when they done away with the old Chauffeurs license.. you could be grandfathered that year and excempt from the driving test for the new CDL... Thats what i did in 1986, you just took the written part.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
And this is what states did in 1986... thats when they done away with the old Chauffeurs license.. you could be grandfathered that year and excempt from the driving test for the new CDL... Thats what i did in 1986, you just took the written part.

That's what I did too. IIRC I only had to take the air brake written to swap over to the CDL.

Mack185

It always sucked being a dumptruck driver. When I lived in Georgia, DOT lived for pulling over dumps, readymix and any kind of trash trucks. If you passed a Dept. of Public safety car you mine as well pull it over because he was coming after you. If they couldn't get you for being overall overweight they would probably make sure to get you on being overweight on 1 of your axles. Here in Missouri, its even worse. Our DOT drive around in unmarked pickups with toolboxes, always fun to try to spot them HA.

PROCUT1

The whole thing just sucks.

If it were about safety....Id be all for it.

We already have a yearly required safety inspection. Why do we need constant random inspections?

If its about safety......Why not make safety inspections quarterly?

This way I can schedule my truck to be off the road. I can get notified of problems and I can get them fixed.

But NOOOOO.

Because then the state would lose fine revenue...

Which is all this thing is about.

Extendahoe

The whole thing just sucks.

If it were about safety....Id be all for it.

We already have a yearly required safety inspection. Why do we need constant random inspections?

If its about safety......Why not make safety inspections quarterly?

This way I can schedule my truck to be off the road. I can get notified of problems and I can get them fixed.

But NOOOOO.

Because then the state would lose fine revenue...

Which is all this thing is about.

What your saying is indeed sad but true in many areas. I hate the system it need a huge overhall. Inspections should be about safety "only" the old ticket ticket ticket is a bunch of CRAP. I did all my FMCSA inspection required of me this past year and didnt issue not ONE ticket to a trucker. Thats fact. Found lots of violations mostly minor stuff which was simply pointed out and listed on the inspection so the carrier would be encouraged to repair it. It varies greatly from state to state how things are enforced and it shouldnt be. I guess its kinda like the CDL law its a nationally reconized procedure or requirement as to how or who needs a CDL and which class but it varies alot from state to state..... how I dont know. Its simple and its the same law and guide line for every state.... how can you screw that up?

rino

Occupation
Drive steel bed Dump Truck for a paving company
PROCUT:
There was a company driver who told the company his brakes weren't working well. He was told to either drive the truck or find another job. He took the truck with the brakes out of adjustment, and couldn't stop going down hill loaded. He ran into a car and killed a grandmother and her 2 grandchildren.

The company said the driver never reported the brakes were not working, yet he had a copy of the Daily Drivers Report, that showed he reported the brakes were not working. The driver didn't know that he could refuse the truck, and keep his job under DOT rules. Needless to say that driver is spending 5 to 15 for accidental vehicular homicide. The company walks Scott free.

With scheduled safety checks, these fly by night dump trucking companies around here would never get caught. There are about 4 companies that the local MCE go after with a vengeance because they have junk on the road. One truck was night paving with us, and didn't have any tail lights, brake light or turn signals for over a month. Another driver stopped at a bar between loads. He did get a DUI in a commercial vehicle, and I think he is still under the jail, because they didn't lock him up and throw the key away, the just threw him under the jail. These companies use any thing they have that can still be used so they don't have to spend money. One company I worked for serviced their trucks once a year weather they needed it or not. The king pins in the truck I was driving were so warn that I'd run new steers for about 7 weeks, and they take the tires off and flip them on the rim to get the other side of wear out of them rather that replace the king pins!

the last company I worked for had a Mack CL700 6 axle. The rear brake were NOT working. Mack has a problem the their foot valve. I told the boss that the rear brakes were NOT working on that truck so I refuse to drive it. He told me that my brain was not working and to go home, so I did.

With these companies its all profit margin. They don't want to pay to repair their equipment, let alone pay a driver a living wage. Why do you think dump driver look so sick? Because the company frowns no Dr. appointments in season, and the company cancels your insurance during off season. I'm in a wheel chair right now from this very situation. And the company just don't care.

Last edited: