• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dw-21

Roadswitcher

Trivia question

The early DW 21/20's had a D337 engine. What was the unusual design feature of this model. (I think it was unique within the Caterpillar range)

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
The early DW 21/20's had a D337 engine. What was the unusual design feature of this model. (I think it was unique within the Caterpillar range)

The early DW21's (and DW20's) had a Rootes blower, similar to a Detroit Diesel,
As far as I'm aware, the only Caterpillar engines to use this comfiguration.

DPete

Enjoyed the pics, very few of todays operators have run cable, I'm glad I had the chance and more glad they are a thing of the past :D

Roadswitcher

The early DW21's (and DW20's) had a Rootes blower, similar to a Detroit Diesel,
As far as I'm aware, the only Caterpillar engines to use this comfiguration.

Yes - Infact, I'm not aware any other common four stroke diesel with a roots blower.

Now this leads me into the next question for which I'm not sure about. The specs attached (from the 'Caterpillar World Wide Model Indentification Guide') are a little confusing. :confused: The D337T on the earlier models is specked with the Roots Blower and the D377 on the later ones, a Super-Turbo (as per the guide). Was I wrong in assuming all the DW 20/21 models were supercharged and turbocharged? I worked along side one in the early 70's in Canberra and remember the distinctive turbo wine - more so than anything you hear now days.

Re Stevensons, Auckland NZ
Also recall as a young tacker in the 50's reading the old man's contractor magazines that would often feature impressive line ups of Stevensons scrapers. I think there was some claim back then that they had one of the biggest family owned Caterpillar fleets going around. Ah, memories.

Attachments

• DW21bb.jpg
    DW21bb.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 2,163
  • DW21aa.jpg
    DW21aa.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 2,223

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
There is a book out which I have a copy of on the history of Stevensons operation at Kopuku in conjunction with Goughs the NZ Cat dealer. Lotsa good pics and history in it. Cheers RDG.

Roadswitcher

Yes mag6000 I agree with Buckethead, it isn't every day you get to see one of these old darlings in such good nick. Wish it was parked in my back yard.
Cheers
Gordon

Hi Gordon - just noticed you are from the ACT. That DW 21 that I refereed to in my last post (24) may still be around. It was owned by the Collis family. They ran a very modern fleet of 621's and D8H's in Canberra at the time but had held onto a DW 21 for sentimental reasons and would take it out onto a job to give it a run every now and then. Any thoughts?

Cheers
Rossco

Roadswitcher

There is a book out which I have a copy of on the history of Stevensons operation at Kopuku in conjunction with Goughs the NZ Cat dealer. Lotsa good pics and history in it. Cheers RDG.

Thanks RDG - I have a couple of contacts at Goughs to chase up. I bet there are some good 'DW' shots included. Might see if Dad has any old snaps too.

Cheers
Rossco

Gord229

Occupation
Operator
Hi Gordon - just noticed you are from the ACT. That DW 21 that I refereed to in my last post (24) may still be around. It was owned by the Collis family. They ran a very modern fleet of 621's and D8H's in Canberra at the time but had held onto a DW 21 for sentimental reasons and would take it out onto a job to give it a run every now and then. Any thoughts?

Cheers
Rossco

Hi Rossco
Yes I remember the Colless Bros spread very well, I worked on them during my fitter apprenticeship with Waugh & Josephson back in the early 70's.

The last I saw of that DW21 (which was a G model) was in 1975 when Mitchell was being developed. As far as I know, it was ultimately auctioned off when the company folded late 70's early 80's. I don't know where it went.

My first experience with DW21's was at the age of 5 when Phillips Constructions had 2 of them working at Russell Hill (around 1960-1). My father was the Clerk of Works on the job and my brother and I used to ride around all day on them sitting on the engine hood, leg either side of the dash, hanging onto the windscreen. We had the chance to drive the beasts on a couple of occassions which scared the life out of the old man. Alf Phillips was from out Griffith way somewhere and I don't know what happened to those machines after they left the job.

Wish I could find any of them now because they would fit in really well with the tenets of the Snowy Mountains Historic Equipment Association, of which I am a member.

Where is home for you?
Cheers
Gordon

Roadswitcher

Reply to Gord229 Post 28

Hi Gordon

Thanks for Canberra update. Pity about Collis Bros folding and the DW - You mentioned Waugh and Josephson too. What an iconic AKA, 'Wacks 'n' Jacks' - sadly consigned to memories now too. :(

Anyhow returning to the DW 21 theme, I hope to get down to Sydney soon and catch up with a mate who works in sales at WesTrac - they generally have an idea where the old CAT machines are. I really would like to see one in the flesh again.

I'm up in the North Coast, NSW area - not much old gear up this way, just millions of old people............

Anyhow, keep up the good work with the Snowy Mountain Historic Equipment Association - I have family history there too.

Cheers
Rossco

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
kopuku

That kopuku book is very good reading with alot of exellent photos.
They still were using those DW20s in the mid 80s. most of them had been repowered with 1693 truck engines, and did go like a cut cat. :eek:
Is even a pic in there of a DW20 being pushloaded by a D9L.
Bit like the spaceshuttle pushing the ark :drinkup
Merv

Tvan

Occupation
Supervision now Days
Better have strong Right Arm and a Big Callous on right Hand for shifting gears

malcolm

dw21 pics

another one in retirement
note all mod cons
cheers malcolm

Attachments

• Image0000.jpg
    Image0000.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 1,918
  • Image0002.jpg
    Image0002.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 1,784
  • Image0004.jpg
    Image0004.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,873

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Looks like it was, or is an 86E model, with direct electric start. It has the extra dash gauge and the easy to change hydraulic filter assembly. Phil:)

gerald

Occupation
Owner and CEO of Gerald Chambers & Sons Inc.
I had three of those old 21s back in the 60s. they were 69C models, the best money makers I have ever owned. Two of them are still being used by a small contracto in Paducah Ky. I see the every time I go there, sure bring back good memories.

lpnt65

Occupation
Retired
are You sure that was GReen & Mc Cahills Dw21 at Matahina Dam Taylor and Culley Built Matahina Dam, in Reply to Gerald The DW 21 one that i worked wit has unreliable you started in am and weren't always sure you would get full days work out of it. On the other hand i worked with a DW20 and that was supposed to be a dog ( early Model) But that old girl never stopped provided you put one operater on and he operated it properly. A lot of these Machines we see on this forum Bring back pleasant memories, Beggar when you gat over 70 you look at these new machines and drool think how lucky these young fella's are today air con lots less noise Oh well the mind is wandering again

Last edited:

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
Never saw a Taylor & Culley DW21 at Matahina - we did have S-18's & TS24's there though.
Green & McCahill had DW21's but the other contractors were all Euclid equipped (Drydens, NZ Roadmakers, Setons).

lpnt65

Occupation
Retired
Judging from the b&w photos I would say a dam site - possibly mangatangi.
Cartoon charachters on NZ earthmoving gear was comm in the 1960s - both Green & McCahill and Earthmovers Waikato used to mark their machines this way.
The G&McCahill DW10 is a fairly rare (for NZ) twin stack 21C series - only three of this particular series were imported.
The color shots are interesting - whose line-up of DW21's Macolm ?
Roadways ?
That photo is of a DW 20 working on Hamilton Motorway it was original No 17 Fleet Stevensons number

X Quad Operator

Good morning guys, Looking at these photos of the old and great DW21's, brings back lots of good old memories I did get a chance to run a DW21 with the, I think Electric power shift back then 1962? the operator would only let me make a couple rounds on the not very old DW21 back then. Shifting these old girls was not a problem, I had trouble with the cable units all the time, the DW21's I ran the so called (cable savers) never worked, and the units were always so touchy, especially when you had a big load of gumbo on the old girl. If I had a glass of wine in my hand then I would make a toast to the good old days of the DW21's and the DW20. Mike Nebergall

crayton

Occupation
Don't want one now, retired.
Let's see if I can remember the procedure for a DW 21. Load in 1st gear and get her in 2nd before pulling away from the pushcat, wind her up in second push in clutch, shift to neutral, let clutch out and yank on the hoist lever to slow things down, push clutch in and shift into 3rd, let clutch out and away you go. Don't two block her and for god sake don't turn with the tailgate forward. If she get's to leaping just touch the trailer brakes and strech her out a little, that is if you have brakes. Been a long time ago but I seem to remember it like it was yesterday. Some of you oldtimers check me out on this and tell me if I got it wrong. Oh, I forgot, make 10 rounds and pee, 10 and pee, etc. If it got down to 5 try to get a pushcat job. Those were the glory days, bought a new 58 Crown Victoria, paid cash for it and never missed the money, never did it since.