• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

EV

Truck Shop

Braking---I personally would like everyone who has a drivers license/CDL to experience
the asshole quivering bladder emptying fun of having the low air buzzer/light or wig-wag
fall in front of your eyes with 4 miles left of 7% grade that is 7 miles long. Don't even need
a super he-man load, just 80,000 lbs. That's where a Lytx dash cam comes in to photo the
horror and panic setting in that will happen with anyone who has a CDL that could would
experience that wonderful feeling of being out of control. I know on this forum/HEF it cause
allot of rethinking about previous posts by members.
Late 70's Bendix came out with ABS for air brakes-the lawsuits that ensued. That system
would automatically keep backing the brakes off exhausting then reapplying all while driver
was holding a steady 10 psi, depleting the air tanks and causing brakes to heat because
of rapid on/off application. End result is a truck out of control with hot brakes.
Had that happen with a 79 352 Pete on highway 58 Chemalt Flats to Springfield, called
Oakridge Pass. When I got home the side cutters came out and all ABS was clipped short
and round filed.
Now as far as dynamic braking-I've seen that in action with the Milwaukee Road. As far as
it coming into play on highway rigs never. Would not be useable in icy conditions.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Had my days of hard sweats running Cabbage and the Three Sisters dragging a 45’ flatbed of steel products or cable reels with Wedge Brakes. 8V92 with jakes was absolutely NO aid. Eagle Division had a dozen of those PITA set ups but at least kept them maintained.

Did not ever care of the early ABS garbage either.

Pony

Why would on/off cycles of brake applications produce more heat to the system than constant on pressure?
If the load is being kept retarded at the same speed surely the total heat inputs would be the same?

cfherrman

I just ran into a 4 way stop today driving a new to me rig. Only had one dual doing the braking and when you got slowed down it would fade or something.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Friction going to develop heat, Slower Speed as start off a grade with a known heavy load, use brakes to slow well proportionately below the desired max speed come off brakes to allow air to cool. Reapply braking effort to keep speed down.
Know a good many drivers got in trouble as passed that max speed point and became nearly impossible to get slowed back down. Jakes help, hyd retarders help, all get hot, electric retarders can only charge a battery so far. Rail Dynamics feed a resistive load to dissipate heat off the machines.

Well maintained brakes and well adjusted all that is left for safety is using common sense.

Truck Shop

Why would on/off cycles of brake applications produce more heat to the system than constant on pressure?
If the load is being kept retarded at the same speed surely the total heat inputs would be the same?
Oxygen entering, and this is one of those I'm not going to have a discussion over with people
who don't/didn't spend years behind the wheel. Too many of those in past.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have been thinking the same Over Engineering marvel Engineer or possibly a Child prodigy of that person that designed the immensely OVER Complicated and failure prone Wedge system designed the current Air Disc setups.

Truck Shop

Wedge system designed the current Air Disc setups.
Air disc is another example of industry/corporations unnecessary involvement in reinventing
the wheel. The whole idea wasn't about safety it was about making tons of cash, knowing
once the public bit, it was only a matter of setting the hook. It costs three times as much to
replace air disc components as it does drum.
The good side I see to it is watching people in business waste their money because they
let someone talk them into bad decisions-didn't know when to stop thinking with their ego.

cfherrman

I got a work truck again and you can tell the guy who modified it never drove on a county road before. Aftermarket intake, lift kit, 35's that stick out past the fender. I asked him if we could take off the lift kit and put factory tires on. 20 years of driving in the bush I've never needed that crap on a super duty

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Rivians are already on the road.
Yep have seen one or tow around this area, guessing they are owned by a couple of the rich people down in the village who thin nothing of paying a couple million for a house. Kind of common to see Teslas, actually saw two in my five mile drive home from dentist.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Braking---I personally would like everyone who has a drivers license/CDL to experience
the asshole quivering bladder emptying fun of having the low air buzzer/light or wig-wag
fall in front of your eyes with 4 miles left of 7% grade that is 7 miles long. Don't even need
a super he-man load, just 80,000 lbs.
Two way firing range is adequate for that feeling as I think I would yawn and look for a place to put the rig in the ditch, runaway ramp or take it through the woods.

cfherrman

I went down a short steep hill last winter with snow on the ground. Locked up the tires and there was a turn at the bottom so I steered into the ditch which was full of huge rocks.

It was so rough I broke the tilt steering on the truck but nothing else.

Was even better there was a easier shallower way to go I got informed right after that