• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

EV

Oxbow

The new one that they put on the bottom of that hill is a cable restraint system on the right side. It might save your (and others) life, but there wont be much left of the truck.
I knew I had a picture of the cable restraint escape ramp.
Teton Pass.jpg
You can't see it very well, but you get the idea. This was in 2018 shortly after they got it open.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I want to see all battery usage stopped , that includes 20V power tools, get a life do it the old way,
everyone keeps bringing up {old school}, great plug it in. No picking and choosing.
I think what is angering everyone is not the fact we are going EV, the fact any personal choice in the matter is taken away and forced upon us. They are sticking to their ways saying 2030 is the deadline in most states and we don't have viable way to replace what you do with current vehicle nor do we care how you will have to pay for that EV shoved down your throat.
Another thing is angering folks is part of them is paid with tax payer dollars, never got that with a horse drawn cart or ICE vehicle which thus is driving prices up on them. Sure $40k for a EV, wait the gov is giving $7500 tax credits, lets call it even and say $50k for the EV then, I'm there is some state incentive too.
Guess what also no one is saying, all those people who are getting electricity subsidies cause they only make so much and can't afford their electric bill, well I get they now will get free fuel to drive wherever while everyone pays full price and if they really thought it through sell off their power to make extra buck like folks sell food stamps.

Truck Shop

Oh I'm talking magneto's and pony motors.
OIP.ef8MbqN8-v23XxD3C5masQHaKD

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Here's an interesting thought I had the other day:

They use salt and in some areas that liquid de-icer on the roads here. Now vehicles are expensive and I like to keep mine for at least a couple hundred thousand kilometers so I give them a very thorough wash regularly in winter. I'm talking up on ramps/stands, laying under it with the steam wand and garden hose thorough. Literally flush out the insides of the frame rails, every accessible square inch that I can get water to. How well will EV's tolerate a proper wash job like that even just once a year? Are they weatherproofed enough that it won't short out a module or battery and burn the whole neighbourhood down?

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Lucas, the Prince of Darkness! Anytime you have Lucas Electrical systems you need to carry a jar of smoke with you - because when a Lucas wiring harness releases all of its smoke, it ceases all electrical transmission, and you need to replace all the lost smoke to get it to produce electrical current again!

Lucas is the only company that produces replacement wiring harness smoke.

Lucas_Smoke_YouTube.jpg

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Here's an interesting thought I had the other day:

They use salt and in some areas that liquid de-icer on the roads here. Now vehicles are expensive and I like to keep mine for at least a couple hundred thousand kilometers so I give them a very thorough wash regularly in winter. I'm talking up on ramps/stands, laying under it with the steam wand and garden hose thorough. Literally flush out the insides of the frame rails, every accessible square inch that I can get water to. How well will EV's tolerate a proper wash job like that even just once a year? Are they weatherproofed enough that it won't short out a module or battery and burn the whole neighbourhood down?
Here is an interesting answer....If you got a flow rate 11.4 litres/minute is 189.25cm³/second with orifice size of .132cm (the red tip at 0°) and divide the flow rate by the orifice size squared to gets of cm/sec and convert to kilometres per a hour answer would be 391 km/h of how fast that water is coming out, so since a vehicle doesn't travel that fast, then why should the water be sprayed on such high pressure near sensitive components.
You wouldn't spray the engine bay of your car with same sensitive components, yet you can clean it without such pressure, same care should be spraying the belly of these vehicles.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Here is an interesting answer....If you got a flow rate 11.4 litres/minute is 189.25cm³/second with orifice size of .132cm (the red tip at 0°) and divide the flow rate by the orifice size squared to gets of cm/sec and convert to kilometres per a hour answer would be 391 km/h of how fast that water is coming out, so since a vehicle doesn't travel that fast, then why should the water be sprayed on such high pressure near sensitive components.
You wouldn't spray the engine bay of your car with same sensitive components, yet you can clean it without such pressure, same care should be spraying the belly of these vehicles.
I hate that red tip. Yellow all the way. I use a short wand, the extension pipe off the wand is like 6-8" long so I don't get to close. I must be doing something right because I've never had an issue washing anything like that.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
So when all these ev’s are 8 years old and up for sale are they going to allow for battery depreciation on the sale? I see the 4 year old ones don’t allow any price break for the fact that the battery is at half life so if you buy it and keep it 4 years you may get stuck with a $20,000 battery replacement bill.