• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

EV

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Surprisingly are six here in Hermann. All belong to Two wealthier families where had a Tesla Club decide to make a weekend here, was hysterically funny as every evening they would end up lined up on Gutenberg street to recharge at a Diesel Electric Genny set the City has for a backup to special events as the city power system is NOT set up to install charging stations. The two families have their own stations just for their cars. Witnessed both being constructed as hauled the base rock to them. Each has their own metering and dedicated line/transformer can only handle Two Cars. Terry Hammer was complaining costs more to recharge than his Corvette to fill up. Vette was referenced at $45/mo, the Tesla his wife drives a few days a week at $105/mo. He is smart enough to do the math as owns seven b&bs a Inn and Spa and a Wedding Reception major attendance party Venues.

Oxbow

Friction going to develop heat, Slower Speed as start off a grade with a known heavy load, use brakes to slow well proportionately below the desired max speed come off brakes to allow air to cool. Reapply braking effort to keep speed down.
Know a good many drivers got in trouble as passed that max speed point and became nearly impossible to get slowed back down. Jakes help, hyd retarders help, all get hot, electric retarders can only charge a battery so far. Rail Dynamics feed a resistive load to dissipate heat off the machines.

Well maintained brakes and well adjusted all that is left for safety is using common sense.
The fella that taught me to drive, in a 1970 Pete with a 318 that had Jake's, told me that while descending a grade stay at a speed that the engine can maintain without the use of brakes, because if the Jakes quit you have exactly one chance to get that truck slowed down using the brakes. This pertained to long grades, and we were hauling heavy equipment, but on highways this advice has never failed me.

Oxygen entering, and this is one of those I'm not going to have a discussion over with people
who don't/didn't spend years behind the wheel. Too many of those in past.
What astounds me is that trainers were teaching new drivers to use the "stab" method as the proper way to descend a long grade, when it seems to me that they should have been teaching to use as little brake as necessary to get your speed down to a point where you don't need the brakes to hold your speed. That may require downshifting on a grade, and I'm sure they don't teach to use the left foot on the brake to maintain speed and mitigate the need to rush a shift and risk failing to complete the shift.

Of course the only time this is necessary is when one starts off the top in too high of gear to begin with. And I am referring to long grades.

I'm old and equipment is much better now, but watching guys roll past you off the top of Cabbage with their brake lights on has always been unsettling. I have to keep in mind though that some newer trucks have the brake lights come on with the Jakes, so they may not be using the brakes.

To your point, I have never seen it work out well to get on the brakes and slow the truck down 5 miles per hour and then release the brakes and gain back that speed only to have to use more brake to slow back down. As with most things it's a matter of degree. If it takes a mile before one has to use the brakes a bit to check speed that's one thing. If it takes a thousand feet that's another.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
All I know is as trainer that taught me just as noted I have not ever smoked a brake or had a runaway, even on 15” trailer wedge brakes.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
A little off-topic but not that far.

Years back at one of the companies quarries not far from here where the 65 ton Mack haul trucks were loaded on one side of a narrow valley then made a hard left turn to cross town road then back up the other side. Those Macks had Allison DP8000 transmissions with hydraulic retarders. Even fully loaded the transmission would have no problem keeping the trucks to a slow crawl down the hill. Well this day there were several guys working on the new ditch at the bottom of the ramp next to the left turn on the haul road. They were used to the haul trucks coming down that grade and never thought much about it. This day was different as apparently they heard the next truck sounded different and they scattered just in time for that big Mack to plow straight into the ditch instead of turning left! Truck flipped end over and load of 65+ tons of shot rock landed were they had been working.

What had happened was one of the hoses (Aeroquip 1503-32 as I recall) that went from the retarder to the oil cooler had failed just as truck left the quarry face. Loader operator saw the oil on the road but could not catch the truck to stop him. Not sure if they had two-way radios in machines at that time. So loader operator had a front row seat view for what happened next.

Long story a little shorter, seat belt use was enforced and other than some minor bruising and such driver was not badly hurt. Recall hearing after being checked out he and loader operator hit a local watering hole for some "medicine".

Truck was brought to the shop where I worked and after some major repairs mainly to axles and motor mounts and such was put back in service. Worse thing is while we were working on fixing the truck every so often one of the other truck would have a breakdown so they would come steal parts from us so some things had to be rebuilt more than once!

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I was always taught when driving a loaded truck to use the same gear going down a hill as you used coming up - and use the brakes only lightly and intermittently. That system hasn't failed me yet.

Here we have a low range of hills just inland from a coastal plain where much of the development lies.

Anywhere you come down the highway over that range of hills you find the following signage - firstly a warning of a steep grade (it's a maximum of 7%) and to use low gear - then a truck bay at the start of the descent, where it's obligatory to pull up and check out your truck before descending the grade.

Going down the hill, if you're driving a rig with a 22.5 tonne GCM or more (that's practically any heavy single-drive truck), the speed limit for you is 40kmh (25mph). Seen a few drivers doing more than that, though.

We've had a couple of serious runaways, one being a double road train loaded with 65 tonnes of grain (143,260lbs). The truck was reported to have reached around 200kmh before it rolled at an intersection at the bottom of the grade.

A couple of innocent people died, the truck driver survived. It turned out he had little truck driving experience, even less on hills, and the brakes on one trailer were hooked up incorrectly, making them useless.

Since that episode, the authorities built an arrestor bed for runaways, halfway down the hill. It's filled with deep pea gravel, and it stops runaway trucks in about 50-60 metres!

I don't know what this idiot did to have his truck runaway backwards down the hill! - but I reckon he must be one of the luckiest drivers around to have not got run over!

Attachments

• Greenmount-1.JPG
    Greenmount-1.JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Greenmount-2.JPG
    Greenmount-2.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Greenmount-3.JPG
    Greenmount-3.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 17

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Although there is no way to describe doing 62 down the highway with a COE Frtlnr on the hook, and having that ever endearing Wig Wag drop down in front of your face.
56 DiamondT black diamond gas six, belt drive compressor that would take conspicuously odd or seriously evil moments to throw the belt. First clue, the Wig Wag.

Truck Shop

All is needed is the right amount of moisture after wet tank to main at check valve. It will show
100 psi-and wig wag or light will still come on because the primary tank is only 60 and less, at 20* it will
freeze the valve.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Brother in Law retired from Metro here.

All their EV buses are semi permanently parked in Cummins Yard. Cannot keep battery cooling systems functional.

Truck Shop

Gosh--you guys are so negative.:)
In 1966 Hertz made a stupendous move to lure young BOOMERS. They bought 1966 Shelby GT 350
Stangs to rent to the public, that was a PR nightmare. The honest young boomers rented them for
Saturdays at the local drag strips across the nation. Beat the pi$$ out of'em brought them back
all lathered up. Or they took them home and did a little R & R--ripped the 271 horse 289 and bolted
a stock 289 in it's place, just dropped off the keys because no one checked.
People are just so honest! and getting more so each day.:p

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer

In 1966 Hertz made a stupendous move to lure young BOOMERS. They bought 1966 Shelby GT 350
Stangs to rent to the public, that was a PR nightmare. The honest young boomers rented them for
Saturdays at the local drag strips across the nation. Beat the pi$$ out of'em brought them back
all lathered up. Or they took them home and did a little R & R--ripped the 271 horse 289 and bolted
Remembered that and the HO 5 liters Those in the mid to late 80s being abused to insanity

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned

I should of jumped on the bandwagon of renting a EV, yank the battery and put a worn out one in it. Be the same as pulling that 289 out and putting in a stock engine :p

skyking1

I was always taught when driving a loaded truck to use the same gear going down a hill as you used coming up - and use the brakes only lightly and intermittently. That system hasn't failed me yet.

Here we have a low range of hills just inland from a coastal plain where much of the development lies.

Anywhere you come down the highway over that range of hills you find the following signage - firstly a warning of a steep grade (it's a maximum of 7%) and to use low gear - then a truck bay at the start of the descent, where it's obligatory to pull up and check out your truck before descending the grade.

Going down the hill, if you're driving a rig with a 22.5 tonne GCM or more (that's practically any heavy single-drive truck), the speed limit for you is 40kmh (25mph). Seen a few drivers doing more than that, though.

We've had a couple of serious runaways, one being a double road train loaded with 65 tonnes of grain (143,260lbs). The truck was reported to have reached around 200kmh before it rolled at an intersection at the bottom of the grade.

A couple of innocent people died, the truck driver survived. It turned out he had little truck driving experience, even less on hills, and the brakes on one trailer were hooked up incorrectly, making them useless.

Since that episode, the authorities built an arrestor bed for runaways, halfway down the hill. It's filled with deep pea gravel, and it stops runaway trucks in about 50-60 metres!

I don't know what this idiot did to have his truck runaway backwards down the hill! - but I reckon he must be one of the luckiest drivers around to have not got run over!

here is a runaway ramp (arrestor bed) you might appreciate.
Dropping down the Teton Pass into Jackson Wyoming from the west, the ravine is on your right and the high bank is on your left.
You have to go through the oncoming traffic to use the ramp, and the shoulder is not that wide there for you to get over early.
Screenshot 2024-01-11 8.03.19 PM.png

I saw that on the way up the hill, and never forgot that one.

Oxbow

here is a runaway ramp (arrestor bed) you might appreciate.
Dropping down the Teton Pass into Jackson Wyoming from the west, the ravine is on your right and the high bank is on your left.
You have to go through the oncoming traffic to use the ramp, and the shoulder is not that wide there for you to get over early.
View attachment 302872

I saw that on the way up the hill, and never forgot that one.
The new one that they put on the bottom of that hill is a cable restraint system on the right side. It might save your (and others) life, but there wont be much left of the truck.