• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Finally found the one!! Newest Toy!!!

Occupation
pipeliner
Alright guys, i'm new to the site but been around heavy equipment my entire life. and been slowly building my very own empire of dirt movers for some time. I've been looking at getting into a D4 or D5 size machine with a winch and an angle blade. i love Caterpillar but can never seem to find one set up the way i want for anywhere near the price i like. Any way i stumbled across a Komatsu D41a-3 with a hyster winch that was in great shape had new undercarriage and recent overhaul and ended up getting it for what i believe was a pretty decent deal. I realize this is a gray market machine and there doesnt seem to be an abundance of them in the US but i was wondering peoples thoughts and or experiences on them. if anyone had any links to a service manual or parts manual that would be FANTASTIC. and any leads to some good aftermarket parts places would be GREAT. i need to repack all the angle and lift cylinders currently...... Also id love to see some other peoples D41a's or similar size machines!

Appreciate any feedback!!
27867517_10156339711053109_2510605307546220690_n.jpg

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Nice looking machine. That may not be a gray market machine. They came into this country through a dealer network in the late seventies and early eighties. People I talked back then liked running them real well. Most did not like working on them but didn't have to do that very much. Which engine does that one have?

Occupation
pipeliner
Nice looking machine. That may not be a gray market machine. They came into this country through a dealer network in the late seventies and early eighties. People I talked back then liked running them real well. Most did not like working on them but didn't have to do that very much. Which engine does that one have?
it looks to me like it would be a breeze to work on compared to all these new cats with the emissions BS on them. everything looks easy to access. As for the motor it its an in line 6 ....sounds like a cummins to me but the spec sheet i found online mentions nothing of the sort, so im assuming Komatsu
001.jpg

Occupation
pipeliner
im working out of town, bought it here and just had it shipped home a few days ago, havent really had time to have a peak at her private parts ;)

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
im working out of town, bought it here and just had it shipped home a few days ago, havent really had time to have a peak at her private parts ;)
I have two on my boundary and another operated by a contractor . One "P" model has not been so good , others have done good service . D4 Caterpillar of the age of your one just does not match them .