• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hack job - or semi-valid fix?

MurrayB

I have a Case 580c 1979 backhoe, that I'm doing a complete brake system rebuild - all new parts & its going ok. But I ran into an old fix that I wouldn't mind some comments on.

The R.H. Side gear bearing carrier plate (probably left as well -will see tomorrow when I pull it) had a bead of gasket material (feels like silicone) just below the o-ring on the carrier plate. As well, each carrier shim had a thin layer between each of the five shims, all around the center hole - effectively sticking them all together. I'm guessing the intent was to inhibit oil leakage from around the o-ring on the carrier plate and the transaxle housing. The normal carrier plate "oil seal" is on the outside of this.

Now that I have the shims all cleaned up, I'm curious if anyone has seen this before? Or is it a hack fix?

I can see how oil could make its way past the Carrier "O-ring", the fit is loose (on the old part at least). Neither the carrier plate nor the housing move or turn, so why not seal the heck out of it? Sealing between the shims - seems crazy to me.

Thanks very much in advance for any comments.

Murray Bady

edgephoto

^^^ pictures would be helpful to show us where you are talking about.

If they are shims used to set backlash or play and then you add something between them you can burn up the bearings or cause other issues.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Was the inside of the r/s housing wet even with all that zookie applied? If so they may have been chasing a mystery leak caused by the tiny lip seal that lives inside the rt. side gear that seals the cross shaft that sticks out for the diff lock.

MurrayB

Yes it was soaked in oil. I'm pulling both side carrier plates, replacing the oil seals, and the little differential shaft oil seal. What I'm worried about is preload and backlash on the gears. I'm hoping keeping the shims exactly the same as they originally were, things will be fine. A rough check for play on the side gears is about all I can do.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
If you pull the l/s brake housing and it's not wet and the side carrier face isn't too bad, perhaps that side doesn't need attention. Do you have access to a magnetic dial indicator or know someone that does to check the backlash/end play on the rt. side after you eliminated all the zookie?