• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help! Can anyone identify this forklift??

Occupation
Mobile diesel mechanic
It’s a Komatsu as you can see but it has no model number or ID plates , can anyone identify if for me or the engine? IMG_0218.jpegIMG_0219.jpegIMG_0220.jpeg

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Hi Tom - Your forklift is a mid-to-late 1980's Komatsu FD40-4. The engine is a model 6D95L-1.

There should be (or have been) an ID plate on the lower part of the front of the "firewall" (the angled upright plate behind the mast), with the Komatsu name and symbol and model number on it.

If that plate is gone, the model and serial number are stamped with a letter/number stamp on the flat part of the chassis, just near to the hydraulic tank breather and your socket set.

These stamped letters/numbers will read something like, "FD-40-4 XXXXXX, with "F" standing for "Forklift", "D" for diesel engine, "40" being the load capacity in "short tons" (i.e. - 4 short tons or 8000lbs or 3630kgs), and "XXXXXX" being the forklift serial number.

The engine should have an aluminium tag riveted to the side of the block (can't recall which side now), as shown in the photo below.

Attachments

• 1687483799152.png
    1687483799152.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Occupation
Mobile diesel mechanic
Hi Tom - Your forklift is a mid-to-late 1980's Komatsu FD40-4. The engine is a model 6D95L-1.

There should be (or have been) an ID plate on the lower part of the front of the "firewall" (the angled upright plate behind the mast), with the Komatsu name and symbol and model number on it.

If that plate is gone, the model and serial number are stamped with a letter/number stamp on the flat part of the chassis, just near to the hydraulic tank breather and your socket set.

These stamped letters/numbers will read something like, "FD-40-4 XXXXXX, with "F" standing for "Forklift", "D" for diesel engine, "40" being the load capacity in "short tons" (i.e. - 4 short tons or 8000lbs or 3630kgs), and "XXXXXX" being the forklift serial number.

The engine should have an aluminium tag riveted to the side of the block (can't recall which side now), as shown in the photo below.

Occupation
Mobile diesel mechanic
Hi Ozdozer

Cheers for all that information. I found an engine number stamped into the block and you were spot on about the engine number as you can see in the pic. Unfortunately I can’t find the chassis number anywhere. I’m going to have to get some injectors for it as well at a head gasket as one of the injectors is Siezed in and I can’t get the nozzle out. There is a fair bit of dust in the intake so a hone and some rings are in order also. I hope I can’t get parts ok

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Tom, you shouldn't have any trouble getting parts for that old girl, but aftermarket suppliers will possibly be the best source.

1. Komatsu Australia could be worth a try, but they will be the most expensive, and you'll possibly have to wait for parts, "ex-Japan".

2. The Chinese can provide plenty of 6D95L-1 parts off eBay.

3. TVH is a fairly good source of forklift parts, but I'm unsure of their Komatsu parts supply.

You'll need to scrape the paint on the flat surface of the chassis to find the serial number.