• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

beauganas

Hey guys,

I'm a newbie here needing some help.

John Deere 444D
Serial DW444DB509098

Loader will not go into gear.
Transmission pressure gauge won't register, doesn't budge on startup.
I can shift loader into R-N-L, I feel the detents on the shifter, yet no engagement/drive.

Trans Oil is full, measured when running.
New oil filter.
No fuse issues I can see, all look good.
No leaks I have seen (trans oil level holding steady)

What diagnostics should I be thinking about? Any other information needed?

Long back story:

Main hydraulic pump went bad. I finally found a new, custom replacement (no thanks to Deere). New pump much larger and required some "modifications" to fit.

Pump in, fits, boom goes up and down, bucket tilts, loader turns. Success there.

Shifter cable was attached to frame with u-bolt, which needed to get relocated in new pump install. Shifter cable reattached, detents noted, reading correct on shifter(lines up with R-N-L-H).

Loader previously ran without issues prior to hydraulic pump install.

My hopeful sense is that there is something obvious in just missing. Let me know.

Appreciate the help,
BSG

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF beauganas;)!

Check your clutch cutout circuit. There is a switch on the brake pedal. Is it stuck on? Brake pedal stuck partially down? Turn the clutch cutout switch off on the dash. Does the machine move?

Did the pressure gauge show pressure before the repair?

beauganas

Thanks mg2361.

The clutch disconnect solenoid valve is non-operable.

We disconnected a line and plugged it per the maintenance manual and it effectively bypassed the solenoid valve and gave us pressure to the transmission. Machine now shifts into gear and works.

Plan to go to the Parker store and get a retrofit cartridge valve/solenoid combo. I'm sure they'll be scratching their heads when they see this old part.

Btw...I think I discussed this same part with JD and Parker previously... Don't you love it when someone asks, what kind of part is it? That can't be a Parker valve.

IT'S YOURS! IT'S GOT YOUR NAME ON IT!

Another question:

JD parts become obsolete, fine. But then the specs are "proprietary" so you can't get parts without reinventing the wheel.

Is CAT the same or better? I've heard better, but don't know myself.

Thanks again, great resource here!

Diesel Dave

Thanks mg2361.

The clutch disconnect solenoid valve is non-operable.

We disconnected a line and plugged it per the maintenance manual and it effectively bypassed the solenoid valve and gave us pressure to the transmission. Machine now shifts into gear and works.

Plan to go to the Parker store and get a retrofit cartridge valve/solenoid combo. I'm sure they'll be scratching their heads when they see this old part.
The clutch cut off solenoid is also powered by the park brake circuit when the park brake is applied .With the solenoid bypassed make sure that the park brake is released other wise you will be trying to drive over the brake .

beauganas

Indeed Diesel Dave.

Parking Brake is disengaged; this auto-clutch disconnect solenoid sure does help the machine stop. I basically am without stopping power with this solenoid down.

I'm going on the hunt for the solenoid starting tomorrow. I appreciate the help.

beauganas

Hey Guys,

Closing this out...went and purchased a new Parker valve body, valve, and solenoid.

Rewired the solenoid and presto!

Needed to make a new mounting bracket, reroute lines according to new flow path...but she's moving.

Thanks for the help!