• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just another day in paradise

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The difference between "Real Feel" and "Heat Index" is that the first one is a commercialized measure used by weather channels & TV stations that may incorporate other factors in addition to temp/humidity (such as wind speed and the effects of solar radiation) to produce a temperature reading that the human body might feel as a result of all those factors combined. The second is a calculation based solely on actual air temperature and relative humidity (dew point).

I would imagine that in summer the RF temperature would always be higher than the calculated HI temperature.

This was a public service announcement.........

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
All of the sudden, the NWS is taking ground temps instead of air temps, two meters above the earth like they always have. Something is,.....

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Walked out barefoot on concrete walk and drive this morning, really warm to the touch kinda felt good, step off in yard nice and cool, evidence of Urban Heat Sink.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Dad's sis, my Aunt and her Hubby lived in Phoenix, summers terribly hot but dry so their asthma (And My Own) was not so severe, the Santa Anna Winds and dust storms were also horrible along with memories of 115-120 degree temps in the 1960s, absolutely nothing new there just sensationalizing for the "Cause".

Monkeywithawrench

What’s urban heat sink?
Worked on an ocean going tug back in my 20's. Was down in the Gulf of Mexico. T storms, lightning bolts bigger than buildings hitting around us (they seemed wider than buildings anyway). I'm up in the pilot house watching this going on (I was Chef Engineer at the time). My comment was "I realize we're on an infinite ground (since we were the tallest piece of steal sticking into the sky) and the current should pass down the mast, into the hull, and then out into the water..............but yah know what?? I'm going to go hide in the basement on my wooden chair. GOOD LUCK and let me know when it's over....."

Monkeywithawrench

Thursday before labor day. I was up in Maine getting groceries so I could labor on my camp. The basement had been flooded out in June or July monsoons. Hot water heater, water pump, and furnace destroyed by the 4ft of water that flooded the basement. I got a call from one of the companies I work for.......an E250 rock truck had been running loads when suddenly it started BANGING. They wanted to know how soon I could get there........I told them Tuesday morning. I was 5 hours away.
20230905_100456.jpg

I got there Tuesday morning around 6am.........this is what I found.
20230905_100527.jpg
#1 cylinder intake valve push rod bent, valve wouldn't move......the rest of them moved w/ a bit of leverage with pry bar. Engine was/ is a certified CAT REMAN long block. Had 196H running time on it. Was bought 1 year 4 months ago. CAT only gives a 1 year warranty on their engines.......this is a 3306 engine. A 3406 engine on road engine gets a 100k mile warranty and a 3 years time frame. WTF!!! No warranty provided.
Now the good stuff!!!
Pulled the head Friday..........
IMG_3978.jpg
IMG_3991.jpg
Every single valve had been hitting the pistons. THE PISTONS HAD BEEN PUT IN 180 OUT.
Meeting with CAT this week.