• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just another day in paradise

Monkeywithawrench

Thursday before labor day. I was up in Maine getting groceries so I could labor on my camp. The basement had been flooded out in June or July monsoons. Hot water heater, water pump, and furnace destroyed by the 4ft of water that flooded the basement. I got a call from one of the companies I work for.......an E250 rock truck had been running loads when suddenly it started BANGING. They wanted to know how soon I could get there........I told them Tuesday morning. I was 5 hours away.
View attachment 294597

I got there Tuesday morning around 6am.........this is what I found.
View attachment 294598
#1 cylinder intake valve push rod bent, valve wouldn't move......the rest of them moved w/ a bit of leverage with pry bar. Engine was/ is a certified CAT REMAN long block. Had 196H running time on it. Was bought 1 year 4 months ago. CAT only gives a 1 year warranty on their engines.......this is a 3306 engine. A 3406 engine on road engine gets a 100k mile warranty and a 3 years time frame. WTF!!! No warranty provided.
Now the good stuff!!!
Pulled the head Friday..........
View attachment 294599
View attachment 294600
Every single valve had been hitting the pistons. THE PISTONS HAD BEEN PUT IN 180 OUT.
Meeting with CAT this week.
IMG_1728.jpg

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
That is a straight-out full warranty replacement, right there, with no quibbles!! Plus, I'd be asking for compensation for an unnecessary engine R&R!!

What a bunch of morons, who can't even get piston orientation correct!! Where do they get these people??

40-50 years ago, when you got a Cat serviceman, you got a guy you could worship for his level of skills and training and knowledge!

Shimmy1

That is a straight-out full warranty replacement, right there, with no quibbles!! Plus, I'd be asking for compensation for an unnecessary engine R&R!!

What a bunch of morons, who can't even get piston orientation correct!! Where do they get these people??

40-50 years ago, when you got a Cat serviceman, you got a guy you could worship for his level of skills and training and knowledge!
My dad bought a Case 1080B excavator in the spring of 1997....... supposedly had a rebuilt engine.

Put approximately 100 hours on it and spun a rod bearing. Upon disassembly, discovered 4 of the 6 pistons were 180 out, and the rod bearing that spun along with one other had loose bolts......

The dealer that sold it to my dad said get it fixed, and send us the bill. We found a running engine in a dismantled machine, and built that sucker like brand new, everything but the crank and fuel pump was replaced. $14k back in 1997, that engine ran like a Swiss watch for 8000 hours.

Old Doug

When i was in votec we had to do On the job training for 2 weeks . The teacher liked me i went to a engine machine shop i liked that alot but 3 friends got sent to a rebuild place. They told me never buy anything from a rebuilder.

Truck Shop

When i was in votec we had to do On the job training for 2 weeks . The teacher liked me i went to a engine machine shop i liked that alot but 3 friends got sent to a rebuild place. They told me never buy anything from a rebuilder.
Cherokee-was one. Small block and big block chevy engines-when oil pressure gets low the front
rod journal is the last to get oil so it's normally the crankpin with spun rod bearings. It was standard
practice for them to weld cranks. If it failed the reply was {engine oil system was not properly primed
causing bearing failure}. Zero warranty.

Monkeywithawrench

Cherokee-was one. Small block and big block chevy engines-when oil pressure gets low the front
rod journal is the last to get oil so it's normally the crankpin with spun rod bearings. It was standard
practice for them to weld cranks. If it failed the reply was {engine oil system was not properly primed
causing bearing failure}. Zero warranty.
Buddy of mine has a boat with a 351 in it. This started last year. Was getting water in the engine oil. He took it to a boat/ snowmobile place (found this out much later...........boat/snowmobile....LOL). They automatically did head gaskets. I asked him if they pressure tested it first.............he called them and asked.........they said pressure testing is just for cooling systems (Uh ohhh). He takes it out this spring......VOILA!! Water in the oil again. Takes it back to the same shop. They tell him he needs a new engine. He tells me they ordered a Jasper engine. My comment to him was...........WHY AM I FINDING OUT ABOUT THIS AFTER ALL THIS GOES DOWN??!! ARE YOU A GLUTTON FOR PUNISHMENT AND JUST LOVE THE ABUSE AND TORMENT?? I then filled him in on Jasper...........sure enough, engine shows up (end of June??)..........the boat/ snowmobile shop puts the old oil pan on the core going back, wrong oil pan on the ...ehhhh-hmmm.......rebuilt engine. Oh, wrong dipstick tube.....or something. Dipstick showed way over full on the oil. Takes boat out.............VOILA!!.........water in the oil again. Family has vaca plans for 4th of july with a boat. He finds a half decent used boat for $10k, buys it and has been using it since. He is still going back and forth with Jasper and the Boat/Snowmobile shop.

So in all honesty............who puts together or does a half decent job rebuilding engines?? I've heard that NAPA has a decent rebuild engine source............is this true?? Just trying to get some info in case I need to steer someone for a rebuilt engine.

Truck Shop

So in all honesty............who puts together or does a half decent job rebuilding engines?? I've heard that NAPA has a decent rebuild engine source............is this true?? Just trying to get some info in case I need to steer someone for a rebuilt engine.
Jasper owns Weller reman since 2016. Napa for years in the PNW was using Cherokee/Tam, and Tam
was a national rebuilder for Ford. There are I suppose some decent rebuilders out there, best bet is
to find a local custom rebuilder, and those are hard to find.
I wouldn't touch a Tam engine.

Monkeywithawrench

Thanks for that.
Do you think Tam has different standards they held to by Ford compared to putting an engine together for some other company?? Or is it one size fits all??

Hard to keep track of who's buying who. Cummins bought Jake brake last year or the year before as one example.

Truck Shop

Cummins bought Jake brake last year or the year before as one example.
Cummins has always had their thumb on the pulse of Jacobs and Holset.
I worked a very short time for a ford dealer in the late 89 repairing 6.9-7.3's. A 66 notch back mustang
came in that had just had a 170/200 six replaced it took a dump it was a TAM. So under warranty
another was ordered-I noticed something odd about the area where water pump is bolted to block.
I took a can of carb clean washed that area, the block was a junk core they rebuilt. It had been
cracked/broken in that spot-Tam brazed it back then hand filed it, slapped paint on it put on pallet
out the door it went. junk. It didn't run all that great either and this was the second engine.

Monkeywithawrench

I'd like to get paid as a CEO turning wrenches for myself...............Mike will back me up on that.........Right Mike??!!!

I've got an 08 F350 Lariat dually out back w/ 6.4L. I managed to get 280k out of her before bad things happened...........head gasket. It was either 2016 or 2018.........I asked the Ford dealer where I have my account how much for a running complete engine...........$13k at the time. Hind sight............wonderful hind sight. I deleted the engine around 100k. I had sent an oil sample in one time........never seen so many warnings on an oil sample before. Fuel dilution, low viscosity, high chrome, high iron, etc, etc.

Looking at new Rams w/ the cummins...........always been a ford guy. Looking under the hood of 6.7 Ford compared to the Cummins..............yeah, I'll go Dodge thank you very much!! Makes me want to puke looking under the hood of a Ford now. However............$75 to $100k for a truck??

My mother...........who is now 80...........bought a new Subaru a few years ago. She called me up and told me she just paid for a new car what my parents had paid for the house back in '67. That will always stick with me.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.

I agree. Presented with the evidence of all 6 pistons installed the wrong way round there is no way they can refuse warranty. Thing is that it’s no skin off the local dealer’s nose because Cat Reman will be ultimately carrying that warranty, not them. Completely agree that R&I labour should be included in the claim and be prepared to negotiate on that. They might offer 50%. Again remember that the dealer is just the “agent” who has no skin in the game for the final bill.

@OzDozer - the problem is that engine was not assembled by a mechanic, serviceman, fitter, or whatever you want to call them. It was put together by someone who probably has little or no mechanical knowledge blindly following a set of instructions on a computer screen.

oarwhat

Buddy of mine has a boat with a 351 in it. This started last year. Was getting water in the engine oil. He took it to a boat/ snowmobile place (found this out much later...........boat/snowmobile....LOL). They automatically did head gaskets. I asked him if they pressure tested it first.............he called them and asked.........they said pressure testing is just for cooling systems (Uh ohhh). He takes it out this spring......VOILA!! Water in the oil again. Takes it back to the same shop. They tell him he needs a new engine. He tells me they ordered a Jasper engine. My comment to him was...........WHY AM I FINDING OUT ABOUT THIS AFTER ALL THIS GOES DOWN??!! ARE YOU A GLUTTON FOR PUNISHMENT AND JUST LOVE THE ABUSE AND TORMENT?? I then filled him in on Jasper...........sure enough, engine shows up (end of June??)..........the boat/ snowmobile shop puts the old oil pan on the core going back, wrong oil pan on the ...ehhhh-hmmm.......rebuilt engine. Oh, wrong dipstick tube.....or something. Dipstick showed way over full on the oil. Takes boat out.............VOILA!!.........water in the oil again. Family has vaca plans for 4th of july with a boat. He finds a half decent used boat for $10k, buys it and has been using it since. He is still going back and forth with Jasper and the Boat/Snowmobile shop.

You buddy need to have the exhaust risers checked out. They leak and put water in the oil.

Old Doug

A buddy told me they installed a rebuilt gas engine in a ford truck coolant ran out the exhaust. They got another something was wrong with it . The next engine a guy delivered it and they tore it apart and reassembled before installing it they didnt have any problems with it.