• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just another day in paradise

petepilot

I don’t get too worked up about these guys but one thing I’ve noticed down here in Texas is that everyone complains about a lack of mechanics but nobody has any patience. Heat index is well over 100 every day and I’ve still got some thick yankee blood in me. I’m not killing myself for anyone. Another thing I’ve noticed is that people aren’t shy about asking for free info. Had a guy call me last week on a cat 32 with some weird hydraulic issue. Someone else couldn’t diagnose it and he wanted to know how I was going to fix it. I told him the truth. I’d start from square one. I have no idea what the other guy had or hadn’t done. He didn’t like that answer And said he’d keep looking. works for me. I don’t need customers like that. Too many good ones to bother with the bad ones.

:):)

Truck Shop

Years ago a guy that ran the local radiator shop said to me--{You know that guy so-&-so?
Mike he was in here last week just giving you hell, said you called him a son of a bitch.
I told him if Mike said your a son of a bitch then I guess your a son of a bitch. He got real
pi$$ed and drove off, Thanks Mike for opening the door so I could get rid of that------
son of a bitch.

Like I've said before--40% of the public are dishonest-that's why there's a law firm on
every other corner downtown. Wouldn't need so many if people were honest, when
starting a business the first thing to acquire is a lawyer.

When some newbie customer asks how your going to fix it, what's the price and how long/
fast can you get it done. Just say give me a second--{I'll look that repair, price and time
up on Youtube and get back to you in a hour}. If they want free info tell them to come
to HEF and we'll run them up the flag pole, this place gives it away at absolutely no cost.

Irony.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Those types have been around forever, buy used tires and complain when fail, buy used cars or trucks expecting new responses and have fits when fail as do no maintenance. Try to squeeze mechanics to help them with information, loaned tooling, ideas how to patch junk to make it around the block one more time. Have come to see them within minutes of a conversation start.

Are a number of those here trying to press me for information I will not give up. They also offer to pay me for help or to hire me to fix their junk where locals have shut them off for no pay slow pay problems. Pretty sad state for them but not my problem. Two have been after me to rebuild their old engines, throw a price and they balk only to return over and over asking if could cut some slack. Answer is and been NO.

Old Doug

If i have some one ask how much am i giving for scrap iron i tell them i am not interested . They could be hard to get along with but if someone ask about me hauling some then i am more interested. Scrap iron and junk is a byproduct of some other thing that was done to make money it should almost never be counted in when the profit is figured out.

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
I have the free information people everyday, the company I work for has invested an inordinate amount of money into diagnostic/parts/maintenance equipment for both the engineers and parts sales sides of the business.
People have the brass tacks to call us, that have never used our company before and ask you to read off what a fault code is... what it does.....where it's situated... and what the part number is.... oh wait would you like me to get my tools out and fit it as well! Part numbers are now only supplied as reference numbers for our own use later if they do actually buy the part.
We even have people call wanting advice on how to fit something they have bought, when you ask where they bought said part from because you can't see a sale of that part to them..... you really want to say why don't you call the people you bought it from and ask them how to fit it? We are seriously considering a tech help charge so if you want help/ diagnostic /fitting/ torque specs etc there is a basic fee of £X, which if you have or do buy the part associated is either waved or credited

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Stopped into the tigercat dealer today. Saw some 3/4” drive 5/8” hex impact sockets on the wall. They fit the Allen head bolts that hold on Feller buncher saw disks. I said I’d take one. He rang me up and looked a little puzzled. “Hang on let me check that again. Huh, you sure you want it?” $129.99. Made by grey pneumatic. Umm, I think I’ll pass. “Don’t blame you”. I left and looked it up on Amazon. $43.69. Now I don’t mind someone making a dollar off me. That’s how the world goes around. But wow! They are mighty proud of it. Probably buy a snap-on socket cheaper.

Mike L

Occupation
Honestly the grey pneumatic socket I bought looks way more stout than the snap on. I’ve got grey pneumatic up to 4.5” and I’ve been very happy with them. Snap-on doesn’t make the best of everything but in some areas they can’t be beat.

Mike L

Occupation
Pulled a 6068 out of a 648L2 this morning. It was seized up. I figured it dropped a valve and smacked a piston. Nope. #1 and #5 had spun bearings that ate the crank. #2 and #4 had spun bearings that cooked themselves to the crankshaft. I’ve never seen that many in one engine. Mains looked good not that it matters. Machine has 9000 hrs on it. Nothing looks oil deprived. Thoughts from the brain trust? I drove it last week after putting a new brake accumulator on it. It sounded fine with no knocking.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Gonna throw one speculation, clearance on at least one if not both spun rod bearings, allowed to overwhelm the locater tabs, adhered from contact friction, failed, next up drop in oil Volume & pressure there while not enough to give up mains starved the remaining rods. Will most likely see starvation damage beginning on 3&6. Pump feeds main gallery to main bearings and in some instances a direct feed to cam, from mains feed thru drillings to rods.