• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

crane operator

This was today's (saturday- again) problem. Was a "wall" of telephone poles with netting and cables strung between them, protecting a resort pool from the tee box of the adjacent golf course. Wind daisy chained them all down, with poles and netting laying on the trees, and the resort building, and almost in the pool.

1691278465530.jpeg1691278484140.jpeg1691278502689.jpeg1691278526715.jpeg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Been some of that wild up here too CO. Trees across highways, down power poles, downed telephone company equipment. Trees stressed, weak from heat and dry to be drowned and wind stormed to death. Two larger Hickory and Solid rolled root balls out. Utility company here chasing outages seemingly every few days.

crane operator

My son was without power at his apartment for 3-4 days. Lots of lines down from trees falling on them. It was a big straight line windstorm. I was up when it hit, I haven't seen it blow that hard on my hill since we had a tornado roll through 6 years or so ago.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
We had porch furnishings off in the yard, some off the rear deck OVER the handrail. Bunch of screens on sliding doors torn up.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I think this was some kind of hackberry, and it was solid all the way through.

View attachment 291523View attachment 291524

Some out of towners bare rented a 70ton RT, and it broke down setting walls on a new chick fil a . We bailed them out with the 40 ton.

View attachment 291525View attachment 291526

Pre-fab is the future in the commercial world and CFA has taken the bull by the horns from what I've read - pun intended. :D

Did you finish the build and if so how long did it take to complete?

Prefab is great for your business as more crane work involved and doesn't affect us as they will always need sitework.;)

crane operator

Did you finish the build and if so how long did it take to complete?
We set all the wall panels, I'm not sure if the wall guys were installing the trusses or not. I think all these guys do is CFA buildings all over the country. They just bare rent and have their own crew lead be the operator.

The kicker is in our area, the "bare rent" is from 4-5 hours away. I bet the move in/ move out transport fee was probably close to what I would have charged to do the lifting, to say nothing of the bare rental fee. And then he was shocked that when the crane went down, there's no one close by to fix the crane. Mechanic has to come from Kansas City also.

They wanted me to come fix the crane when they called, I explained that I'm not touching someone else's crane- just because it would be convenient for the renter. Their company probably paid more in back charges for the trucks not getting unloaded, than I want to think about.

I think they will be less than a week for walls and maybe trusses?

Natman

We just had a big 3 story "old folks home" (active senior living center I think they are calling it) go up here, and it all showed up prefabbed. No crane work on the whole project, just a lot of cheap labor and a 55' reach forklift with a cherry picker on it. Which accounts for the blank stare I got when I gave a biz card to the jobsite foreman, who seemed to be the only guy there who spoke some English. They kicked butt on the project, in and out in a couple weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Welder Dave

There's a building going up here that has huge prefabricated walls. They look to be about 20ft. tall and about the same width or more and there wasn't a crane on-site. Maybe they got put up by a truck crane when delivered and then the truck crane left?? They sure looked like huge panels to me.

crane operator

Had to set this up late yesterday. Roofers got a little carried away. And then unloaded the pallet they had on the forks. The only thing that saved it from catapulting back down and over, was the mast was imbedded in the roof.

Also had to resist buying two new trucks at the ford man. Shelby pickups at 775 factory HP. Stickers were just over $135,000. Each.

1692149734012.jpeg1692149753512.jpeg1692149863992.jpeg1692149885243.jpeg

Last edited: