• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I dare say those are likely Air Disc CO, not a good thought on a dump truck. My last day with current employer is Friday, Knife action getting started sooner than expected, they are dealing with a Bad set up as that on a New Star 24yd Dump Truck. Cannot keep debris out of rotors on rear and eats the brakes up.

crane operator

I dare say those are likely Air Disc CO, not a good thought on a dump truck
Oh- you're probably right, I never thought of air disc. It was a newer looking KW dump (mid/ late 2000's ish), so I was kind of surprised to see the cans pointed that way. I was wondering how late you could get a set of wedge brakes if you bought heavy axles.

But air disc sounds much more likely...

Old Doug

Some pictures of the winch on my press.

Attachments

• IMG_20230711_060101.jpg
    IMG_20230711_060101.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20230711_060021.jpg
    IMG_20230711_060021.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 27

Old Doug

The winch split drum . I cut a circle in 1/4 bored a hole in it cut it in half and rewelded it on the drum.

Attachments

• IMG_20230711_055946.jpg
    IMG_20230711_055946.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 28

crane operator

Been hot here, and the hyd. transmission cooler that we changed to electric fan isn't keeping up.

Went to the plywood ram air induction version, its holding up well so far.

Factory placement is kind of stupid, its out of the windflow area, and so its totally reliant on the fan. That 50 mph breeze coming through makes a big difference.
IMG_4218.JPGIMG_4224.JPG

crane operator

Went and rescued a tank this week. They were somehow trying to tandem pick with two telehandlers, and lay over this tank at a fab shop. It tried to get away from them. When I got there they had parked the little warehouse forklift counterweight on top of the outrigger of the 12k trying to keep it from going over.

They got super lucky the whole works didn't end up in a pile, telehandlers, tank and all. I think the one telehandler was fighting against the other one and trying to pull it over.

We got hooked up with the crane and got it all laid down safely.

1690679025764.jpeg1690679044739.jpeg1690679064759.jpeg

Last edited:

crane operator

This old mercedes was sending out some pretty serious smoke signals.

And I've got a vague idea of what nuclear physics is, but why there's a empty box of it, from china, behind the local gas station dumpster, well I'm just not sure about that. We might have a 'see something- say something" event going on....

1690679194254.jpeg1690679227420.jpeg1690679243287.jpeg1690679255820.jpeg

Welder Dave

Is th
Went and rescued a tank this week. They were somehow trying to tandem pick with two telehandlers, and lay over this tank at a fab shop. It tried to get away from them. When I got there they had parked the little warehouse forklift counterweight on top of the outrigger of the 12k trying to keep it from going over.

They got super lucky the whole works didn't end up in a pile, telehandlers, tank and all. I think the one telehandler was fighting against the other one and trying to pull it over.

We got hooked up with the crane and got it all laid down safely.

View attachment 291070View attachment 291071View attachment 291072
Is the tank wrapped with panels for insulation? Seems rather dumb to be trying to lift it with telehandlers.

Manistar

I see you got to put your new 40 ton link belt to work. Have you put it in full service or an emergency call gave it an early trial run?

crane operator

I see you got to put your new 40 ton link belt to work. Have you put it in full service or an emergency call gave it an early trial run?

Its been to 2-3 jobs. Its running a little warm in the cooling system. On a big long hill, you have to back out or it runs hot. I don't think the engine fan is working at full speed, and we may have a thermostat/water pump/ plugged radiator issue. Its usable, you just need to watch the temp gauge driving.

Is th
Is the tank wrapped with panels for insulation? Seems rather dumb to be trying to lift it with telehandlers.
No its just a bare stainless tank.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Watched that type tank work with telehandlers or heavy loaders end up just as you described. Quarries used to be the worst at use of incorrect equipment to do a job as did not want to take time to service a crane that set too long or to hire one that could get it done easier or safer. Augusta MO quarry destroyed three product or water storage tanks in a year being ‘cheap’, cost them bundles and is why Mississippi lime went broke.

Welder Dave

I was curious why the seams weren't welded on the outside. I saw the tank with the tape so I thought the tank you lifted was thin sheets for insulating and taped after it was upright like the other tank.