• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

crane operator

The 3" rain in a hour thursday- got the better of a roof. They built a new building up against the slope of a existing factory, and just installed some drain/gutters. I got the call thursday night and went and looked at it.

Well the big rain shoved a bunch of debris in the drains (plugging them up), and made a pond on the roof. Roofs won't usually hold ponds for long, so down came the roof. There was one guy in the room that collapsed, but he made it out the door before he got smooshed. Workers said the water slid a bridgeport 8' across the floor when the wave hit it. 3' of water in the room below.

Was supposed to go get the hvac unit off the roof friday, but the lawyers and insurance guys got in a tiff about it, and so it got put on hold. More phone calls friday and "safety issue" got things rolling, and we went saturday morning and pulled the unit. 120' away and a 35' sidewall so 90 ton with all the jib on. We had to dodge thunderstorms to get it pulled.

Lawyers and engineers are having a big wheel meeting on tuesday and we'll see what shakes out after that. I think there's going to be a lot of fingerpointing about the design of the new building, attached to the old, and with no where for the water to go if the drains plug. It just makes a lake.

Rained friday, saturday, and sunday in the hole. They've just been pumping the water out.
1686489824615.jpeg
1686489850321.jpeg1686489867619.jpeg
1686489887385.jpeg

skyking1

I have not wrapped my head around why they make these parapeted curbed roofs without a ginourmous overflow slot in them, with the roof sloped that way.
And some kind of self cleaning drain system.
A couple of strategic pieces of, what exactly? and it is game over, man.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Same thing happened on this building a couple of months ago. Got the call from one our GC's to come take a look and give advice on how to build it back.

1/3 of the roof sloped to the front with 2 downspouts and no overflow. The other 2/3 sloped to the rear with no parapet wall just a long gutter.

From downspouts plugged filling that portion of the roof.

IMG_4489.jpeg

Just like that building above there was 12" and higher water marks on the walls in the front.

Best we can figure is when the front roof collapsed it created a gust and a ripple in the roof system itself that blew the back wall out.

IMG_4635.jpeg

savman

I priced a demo two weeks ago that had a partial roof collapse due to clogged gutters....18k square feet of office....toast b/c of a few clogged gutters. ouch

skyking1

yup I drill holes till almost through and then start greasing the bit too. The other dodge is to pressurize the tank and hopefully blow more debris out than in.
Drilling and tapping for EGT probes on cummins engines.

Natman

Did a job just yesterday on a shop I did last year. Set the trusses AGAIN...., after our heavy snow year collapsed the roof! The home owners were in Europe, so no one hurt, 75 pound snow load rating originals, new are 150 lb. Bad location, no winter sun, no where for the snow to go on the back side, cut into the hill like it is, plus the winds drift that side, I just hope I don't have to go back next year. ICF walls, is why they didn't get pushed out, that was interesting.IMG_20230614_082105817.jpg

crane operator

Hot tub with a telehandler, generator, and a old emergency box truck that I think they are going to make into a food stand.

The box truck I was totally wrong on the weight, it was over 7,000lbs, and everything I saw was aluminum construction on top of the steel frame, so it must have had a blast proof double wall on the outer skin.

1687484837236.jpeg1687484869582.jpeg1687484886631.jpeg

crane operator

My new to us 8640 has a steering column issue. Link belt uses what looks like for all intents and purposes, like a GM steering column from a '89 suburban. Keys look like gm keys too.

My other link belts are tilting but not telescopic, this new one is tilt, but also telescopes, and doesn't lock the telescope. So the whole steering wheel floats in and out about 4" or so.

I remember the old GM columns for being bad about the tilt bushings going bad, but I don't remember them being telescopic columns. Nor do I know what locks the column.

This isn't my actual column, but this is what mine looks like from a same year crane off the web.

It pulls up just behind the spokes, and before the turn signal stalk. The back small lever, behind the turn stalk, is what does the tilt.

link belt steering.jpg

Oxbow

My new to us 8640 has a steering column issue. Link belt uses what looks like for all intents and purposes, like a GM steering column from a '89 suburban. Keys look like gm keys too.

My other link belts are tilting but not telescopic, this new one is tilt, but also telescopes, and doesn't lock the telescope. So the whole steering wheel floats in and out about 4" or so.

I remember the old GM columns for being bad about the tilt bushings going bad, but I don't remember them being telescopic columns. Nor do I know what locks the column.

This isn't my actual column, but this is what mine looks like from a same year crane off the web.

It pulls up just behind the spokes, and before the turn signal stalk. The back small lever, behind the turn stalk, is what does the tilt.

View attachment 289338
Similar on some trucks. Twisting the entire ring around the city horn doesn't work? Might be worth a try. Should be able to tighten like a nut. One of our trucks has that anyway.

Last edited: