• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu D155-1 Undercarriage Cost Ballpark

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Looking for a ball park cost at todays parts costs to change rails and pads along with sprocket segments. Any body have an idea how much part of the job would cost or entire job with front Idlers and all rollers would cost .
Trying to evaluate a machine for purchase and undercarriage is done.
Any ones experience is appreciated. US. Dollars or Canadian Dollars
Simon C

Shimmy1

I'm going to throw out a WAG here based on what I spent on parts that are half the size of yours, I'm thinking you might be looking at $20k for padded rails and segments. Hope I'm close.......

Shimmy1

Parts and labor? OEM or aftermarket?
I would not imagine Komatsu would even know what a machine that old would use. I would think we could guesstimate pretty close what labor cost would/could be. Swapping segments and wrapping new rails shouldn't even take 2 days, but if it did would be around $3000. If you were looking to completely rebuild (rollers, idlers, tensioners), I'd say you had better figure on a couple weeks, or $15k. Now we just need to know what a set of ITR rails with pads, bottom rollers, idlers, and (if you can get them) seal kits for the tensioners might cost.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
I would not imagine Komatsu would even know what a machine that old would use. I would think we could guesstimate pretty close what labor cost would/could be. Swapping segments and wrapping new rails shouldn't even take 2 days, but if it did would be around $3000. If you were looking to completely rebuild (rollers, idlers, tensioners), I'd say you had better figure on a couple weeks, or $15k. Now we just need to know what a set of ITR rails with pads, bottom rollers, idlers, and (if you can get them) seal kits for the tensioners might cost.

To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right, is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.

So you figure at least $15000 Labour for all rollers and rails and idlers. Parts must be $20000 or more.
Hope someone else has bought such a package in the not so distant past. Will wait for more reply's..The machine I am looking at has Zero undercarriage. Another one has no transmission but new undercarriage. Maybe make one out of two. That's what I am trying to find cost for.
Simon C

Vetech63

At today's prices I'd figure $25k plus on parts alone on aftermarket. A dozer that size.....if I were doing this as a quote job.....$8k minimum labor.

Shimmy1

Well, yes. Labor is at roughly $150/hour currently. Completely rebuilding an undercarriage that size is not a small job. Everything is big, heavy, and probably rusted solid. Obviously this is probably worst case scenario, but best case might still be 60 hours. Day to break down, couple days for bottom rollers, couple days for idlers and tensioners, and a day to put rails back on.

Ve, looks like I'm pretty frickin close on my guesstimate lol.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
The cheapest aftermarket SALT track chains are US$5000 each. New pads would run to at least US$80 each = US$6500 in round figures. Track shoe bolts and nuts around US$5 each - another US$1500. That all adds up, big time.

Cheapest aftermarket SF track rollers are US$600 each, DF are US$700 each, carrier rollers around US$500 each.
So, with 7 roller track frame, US$4200 + US$4900 + US$1000 = US$9200 just for a full set of rollers.

At this point, you're up to around US$27K - and you still haven't fitted them. Add in the labour, the extras such as replacing a pile of rusty fasteners, extracting broken bolts, straightening and repairing guards, finding cracks you never knew were there, and gouging and welding them up - and the $$$$'s are mounting!!

Then you find a broken track recoil spring! - or even both! More $$$'s!! Best to do the track adjuster seals while you're at it!
You're starting to refuse to even look at the invoices about now, it's too depressing!

Doing a full undercarriage rebuild properly is one of the most expensive things you can ever get into. That's the simple reason why so many old tractors go to the scrappers, once the undercarriage repairs start to look astronomical.

I used to do a full undercarriage rebuild on my Cat D7F's about every 3 years. With 3 tractors, I did plenty of them.
It paid me to do them, as the tractors worked all day, every day, and they were my primary income.
But it still took a year to 18 mths of full time work, to pay off those major undercarriage overhauls.

If you haven't got a lot of work lined up for your D155, you're going to be poor for a few years to come , if you go deep into a full undercarriage rebuild, on a tractor that size.

Last edited:

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
The cheapest aftermarket SALT track chains are US$5000 each. New pads would run to at least US$80 each = US$6500 in round figures. Track shoe bolts and nuts around US$5 each - another US$1500. That all adds up, big time.

Cheapest aftermarket SF track rollers are US$600 each, DF are US$700 each, carrier rollers around US$500 each.
So, with 7 roller track frame, US$4200 + US$4900 + US$1000 = US$9200 just for a full set of rollers.

At this point, you're up to around US$27K - and you still haven't fitted them. Add in the labour, the extras such as replacing a pile of rusty fasteners, extracting broken bolts, straightening and repairing guards, finding cracks you never knew were there, and gouging and welding them up - and the $$$$'s are mounting!!

Then you find a broken track recoil spring! - or even both! More $$$'s!! Best to do the track adjuster seals while you're at it!
You're starting to refuse to even look at the invoices about now, it's too depressing!

Doing a full undercarriage rebuild properly is one of the most expensive things you can ever get into. That's the simple reason why so many old tractors go to the scrappers, once the undercarriage repairs start to look astronomical.

I used to do a full undercarriage rebuild on my Cat D7F's about every 3 years. With 3 tractors, I did plenty of them.
It paid me to do them, as the tractors worked all day, every day, and they were my primary income.
But it still took a year to 18 mths of full time work, to pay off those major undercarriage overhauls.

If you haven't got a lot of work lined up for your D155, you're going to be poor for a few years to come , if you go deep into a full undercarriage rebuild, on a tractor that size.

yeah , not long bought a Dash 2 , I was told its newish tracks were worth about $NZ 50,000 all up . An early D155 would have to be very cheap if the tracks were worn out to purchase .

Shimmy1

I don't have any experience with dozers bigger than a 7H, but I do think I have a pretty good perspective. If you're not doing production work like Nicky does, a dozer is a necessary piece of iron that gets paid for by the actual moneymakers, be it a scraper or excavator or crusher. They rarely pay their own way, they are a small piece in a big puzzle. My $.02.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I just realised I made a typo with the carrier roller cost - 4 carrier rollers x US$500 is US$2000, not US$1000 - plus I clean forgot to add on sprocket segments - probably at least another US$2,000.

And if someone has let the sprocket segment bolts get loose at some stage - that's more work, building up and re-drilling the bolt holes.
Plus you need new sprocket segment bolts, it doesn't pay to use the old ones, they get stretched, and can break in use, or break even when you're tightening them up.

chidog

No matter what anyone says the only correct way to do the rollers and rock guards is to remove the track frames, in the end it is way less work than trying to do the job with them on. Especially if you run into difficult bolts. The complete under carriage overhaul will cost more than the dozer is worth, unless it is very low time. Used D8 tracks will work too, if I remember we used some used 155 tracks on a D8H.
In the day the outfit I worked for never bought new tracks for nothin, aways used.
I got some good deals back then on used tracks, I remember one decent set for $500. yeah those were the days.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Chidog is right on the mark, taking the track frames off and inverting them, is the only way to go.

And yes, 9.00" pitch D8 tracks will work - as long as you can acquire them cheap, too! LOL

Here's the conversion summary for converting the D155-1 to 9.00" D8 undercarriage.
The downside is, you have to use Cat track pads, Komatsu use a different bolt pattern.

Attachments

• D155-1.jpg
    D155-1.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 15

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic

nyheavytractor.com

175-32-00119 Track 41 Link As SALT Chain KOMATSU D155A-1 UNDERCARRIAGE

NewThis Listing is for ** ONE ** Track Link As Chain 41 LINK SEALED & LUBRICATED for KOMATSU D155A-1 . Fits multiple machines. Please verify part # prior to placing order. Take a look at our other items for sale. If you are looking for something we dont have listed please message us. Good luck...
nyheavytractor.com
nyheavytractor.com

Thanks so much for all the info OzDozer and the rest of you fine folks. $40000.00 US. would be around $58000 Canadian with the extra shipping we pay for everything and exchange.
That being said as I previously posted I am looking at 1 Dozer that starts and hydraulics go up and down but machine will not move. I have already figured out what is wrong with transmission not engaging and plan to fix it. The second machine everything works but nothing at all left of undercarriage. Can get this one for $10000 or less Canadian and the one which don't move for $10000 or less Canadian.
The one that doesnt move is work ready other than dont move.
The owner is very old and not interested to even figure out why it won't go into gear.
Hoping to be able to put an offer on it soon.
A full machine of spare parts is worth something for the one with no more tracks as just the winch which is not needed will fetch a few dollars.
Thanks for all your replys.
Simon C

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Make one machine good. Hope to get work ploughing electric cable from windmills into the ground. Machine will probably be pulling the plough . Usually around 1000Hp. of power pulling the plow to put cables into the ground.
Otherwise north of here in Yukon there is a lot of demand for old cats for 3.5 months of year removing overburden for Placer Dirt Gold mining.
Go on You-Tube and look up Dulac Mining in Yukon and when you see the video's you will understand better what kind of work is done.
That is my plan. Just need to acquire 1 Machine for parts and one for use.
simon C