• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu D155-1 Undercarriage Cost Ballpark

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
That kind of Auction is always a possibility. Don't know what kind of prices they are paying. All I know is that a new D8 size machine is more than a million Canadian, and big dollars to rent.
Lots of prospectors will chance 40-80 thousand and not have to make payments for the 9 months of no work. I sold 1 machine to a guy in Montana last year and who knows if I will sell or rent this year.
Simon C

joe--h

You might try here. If it's aftermarket it's probably from China, so eliminate the middleman

Joe H

Last edited:

joe--h

Not so in my experience, many of the sellers are wholesalers, not manufacturers and do sell to individuals. Trading company is a seller of goods, if you run the finances through Alibaba you're covered supposedly although I never have had to make a claim.

I've imported a lot of stuff from China and have had good luck. Other than the wait for sea freight and customs and all the little fees they add on at the dock to get it more of your money it's better than buying China goods from an importer here.

It's a little nervously wiring thousands of $ to someone in China, the first time I really was sweating but surprise surprise it all worked out as promised. Biggest problems I've found are once it's on the dock here and you're dealing with brokers and shippers here, the China end gets it on the boat and on the way chop chop. Takes about 10 days to cross usually, Customs delays are unpredictable and can be costly as the extra charges are divided up between whoever has goods in the individual container if they decide to inspect it. And the warehouse fees are legal extortion that you pay and pay.

Joe H

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Not so in my experience, many of the sellers are wholesalers, not manufacturers and do sell to individuals. Trading company is a seller of goods, if you run the finances through Alibaba you're covered supposedly although I never have had to make a claim.

I've imported a lot of stuff from China and have had good luck. Other than the wait for sea freight and customs and all the little fees they add on at the dock to get it more of your money it's better than buying China goods from an importer here.

Thanks for the information joe--h.
Was wondering if you ever used that company that you posted up above for undercarriage ' OEM Competitive Price Undercarriage Parts.......'' out of China. Would give me some very usefull information for calculating cost to repair.
Simon C

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
joe--h; Another question?
Did you have trouble to get shipped to North American west coast. I would probably get shipped to Port of Vancouver Canada or Port of Prince Rupert Canada.
Any pointers to watch out for would be appreciated.
Simon C

Welder Dave

If D8 tracks can be adapted it seems there would be a better chance of finding decent used rails at least.

joe--h

Not one I have used , just something that turned up in a search. West coast is direct, my nearest port is Long Beach/Los Angeles/San Pedro. They are in the same spot and the shippers call it one of the three depending on IDK what.

You'll have no problem getting it up there. Small stuff can go air freight, DHL, FedEx or UPS. Freight costs are absolutely predictable UNTIL it hits the dock, they you're dealing with LTL trucking and no one will give you a price until the stuff is actually on the dock. Last few years it's just insane trying to get an answer about when & how much. Sea freight has gone way down from what it was a year ago. Truck freight seems to go only up.

All I can see is anyone here selling that stuff from China is marking it up, some of them way up so you might as well buy it direct if you can. They all have English (sort of) speaking sales people, fill in the query form on their site and you'll have an answer in a day usually.

Joe H

Welder Dave

Trek would probably be cheaper than Union Tractor. They are in Edmonton.

Last edited:

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Yes waiting for a reply from them. May get it today. Waiting for a reply from China also.
Thanks
Simon C
If you are not in a rush you may be able to get another D155 in good order with the tracks in the condition you want for the value of the track components . dash 1's and 2's are getting old , having a donor machine is a useful thing .

Welder Dave

It depends who you talk to. It's probably comparable to the Union Tractor select branded undercarriage.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
So I went and checked out this Non Starting D155-1 , Ser#15951. It is I believe about 1978, 1979.
Has a S6D155-4 Engine that has not started from anywhere from 4.5 Years to 9 Years. The owner has no written record. The machine has Berco Salt tracks that are sitting and haven't moved for long enough that moss is growing on the top sides of the pads. How likely are the rollers to be seized after for sure 9 Years sitting. The undercarriage would be worth a good deal as not worn out if the links are not seized after all these years. Any thoughts from some of the senior gurus of that era.
The machine was parked because it would not go into gear. So expect to have to clean transmission pump suction screen, make sure hoses on suction side are all okay and probably need new charge pump as he said a guy tried to get it going for a day so pump probably scored badly not including regular wear.
The engine has not started so wonder if a guy could prelube 15 Litres of oil through oil gallery under 45 PSI to feed all bearings and turbo before bunting it over to see if hydro locked in a cylinder or not, without having to pull injectors to verify if any leaks. The engine is very dry and looks good but no guarantees that top of cylinders are not corroded somewhat. Has good exhaust flap on it but condensation is a whole other issue.
Would need to suck out bottom of fuel tank and bottom of bevel gear case to get Condensation out.
Would be dropping oil pan oil about 15 liters to see how much if any antifreeze in bottom.
Seen a runner on Machinery Trader for about $40000.00 of the same era.
Other than buying really cheap for parts only, like $5000.00 or less, cause there is no guarantees, Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Simon C

Welder Dave

I think if the SALT rails didn't leak they might still be OK. Have seen other machines that have been sitting for years get pulled out of the bush and the rails weren't seized up.

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
So I went and checked out this Non Starting D155-1 , Ser#15951. It is I believe about 1978, 1979.
Has a S6D155-4 Engine that has not started from anywhere from 4.5 Years to 9 Years. The owner has no written record. The machine has Berco Salt tracks that are sitting and haven't moved for long enough that moss is growing on the top sides of the pads. How likely are the rollers to be seized after for sure 9 Years sitting. The undercarriage would be worth a good deal as not worn out if the links are not seized after all these years. Any thoughts from some of the senior gurus of that era.
The machine was parked because it would not go into gear. So expect to have to clean transmission pump suction screen, make sure hoses on suction side are all okay and probably need new charge pump as he said a guy tried to get it going for a day so pump probably scored badly not including regular wear.
The engine has not started so wonder if a guy could prelube 15 Litres of oil through oil gallery under 45 PSI to feed all bearings and turbo before bunting it over to see if hydro locked in a cylinder or not, without having to pull injectors to verify if any leaks. The engine is very dry and looks good but no guarantees that top of cylinders are not corroded somewhat. Has good exhaust flap on it but condensation is a whole other issue.
Would need to suck out bottom of fuel tank and bottom of bevel gear case to get Condensation out.
Would be dropping oil pan oil about 15 liters to see how much if any antifreeze in bottom.
Seen a runner on Machinery Trader for about $40000.00 of the same era.
Other than buying really cheap for parts only, like $5000.00 or less, cause there is no guarantees, Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Simon C
Fix the price before you fix the tractor . That motor should have valve lifting gear fitted , you may be able to activate that and turn it over not needing to pump oil through it as well as show up any pots full of water . So long as the dozer has not sunk into the ground the rollers should be alright , pretty well protected by the track frame from the weather . There should be a small water drain at the bottom of the exhaust enough to let out the rain that got past the cap .

Welder Dave

Cat also has drain holes in the mufflers. I put a rain cap on the pipe but didn't need to. It's a bigger diameter and just goes around the muffler exit. It's just mounted on the hood.