• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu D57S-1 Head gasket seep

Truck Shop

Well in that engine--anything with a shaft-or gear train.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
That washer is most likely coming from gear train as a thrust washer as was previously said. or could be from an accessory drive off the gear train. I have done too many D155 Engines and they have several in the gear train. Only logical place to find in my opinion.
Simon C

Cliffy

When you first posted about the head gasket and was selling it, i was going to suggest chemiweld or liquid head gasket sealer, pull the head bolts down half a turn and send it to the auction. Bit late now

Shimmy1

I have what you might call " a fire in my belly to do it.

Whatever you do, please don't let this project turn onto 60 pages of belligerence. I'm as stubborn as anyone you'll ever find, but when TC gives warning, I do tend to listen with intent. Good luck in this endeavor.

Shimmy1

Don't waste any coins on this engine until you have properly assessed all the parts, I have already brought to the front that the Fan Club for these motors in the U.K. has no members, you are being a brave boy tackling the nasty things.
For posterity. :cool:

James Sorochan

Occupation
x-water & sewer construction Now farmer.
The end play and back lash fall into spec on the gear train. I'm going to drop off the head tomorrow to make it new again and injection pump and nozzles to injection shop to do the same. I'm also going to check out a 2000 lb engine stand while I'm in town to see if will work for me. Wish I has Truck Shop's stand right about now.

chidog

Hmm cracked pistons? I have reused them many times in D342 engines, never had a problem years down the road so to say. But then I don't remember them looking that bad.

James Sorochan

Occupation
I put the motor on a stand but the flywheel which includes the damper is to heavy making it impossible to flip over. I can’t seem to get it off. I undid the bolts on the spacer ( part 18 ) which includes the damper and tapped it with a hammer but it won’t break loose. Is it possible it’s just rusted itself onto the flywheel? Am I missing something here? Maybe it needs to be heated up with a rose bud a bit? Thanks all.

Attachments

• IMG_7022.jpeg
    IMG_7022.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7034.jpeg
    IMG_7034.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 15

Truck Shop

Interesting--I wouldn't heat it, not familiar with that piece, although the exploded view
looks simple. Might have to remove outer bolts with lock tabs, it looks as though there
are fasteners from the other direction on the back side. If my eyes are not deceiving me.

James Sorochan

Occupation
Got it off. Once the bolts from the damper were off was able to pry it off then exposed the 6 bolts holding the flywheel on. My $200.00 engine stand has a lot to be desired. Have to use the lift in conjunction to be safe.