• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Logging Accidents: And They Walked Away.........

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
I guess the logs chained to the 2 bunks would hold it together til it turned sharp?
In this picture you can see two "cables" around the load they are about 25 to 30 feet long and made from approximately 1/2 inch flexible cable , on the each end there are about 4 feet of chain ( to adjust for the difference size of the load) I also use to carry several lengths of chain with hooks on one end to add to the wrappers if a loading operator built a "picture load" . The wrappers go over the top of the reach and are not attached to the trailer in any form . scan043.jpg

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I spent a stint in a cable shop years ago. All the on highway wrappers were 3/8" cable with a pressed duplex eye on each end to capture the grade 70 chain. From what I can remember the cable used for the wrappers had more strands than regular 3/8" cable so it was much more flexible.

Used to make chokers, skidder mainlines, bunk cables and lift straps for the trailers too. It was a definitely a good experience.

mitch504

It's always been an argument amongst log haulers here, chain wrapped around the logs and bound to itself, or chain hooked to the trailer. Now the newer trailers are coming with strap winches welded to the frame rails, and 4" straps. Most of the drivers around here have been replacing the 4" straps with 2" ones, which in my mind is only good to keep one log from walking out, no use at all if you wreck it.

camptramp

Occupation
Toby Hird Photo's Malloch & Moseley #142 P16 Pacific I see a Malloch and Moseley on the door , this must have happened before M & M became Forestland Industries . ( The 848 Kenworth in the last three frames belonged to Mt. Sicker Lumber , it was a little treasure that was traded in on a Highway truck a couple of years later . Rumer has it , it went to Alaska .scan302.jpg scan303.jpg scan304.jpg scan305.jpg

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Boy that's a heck of a downfall with a grapple yarder is always standing on that haulback brake.....

camptramp

Occupation
BCFP Renfrew Div. #27-25 Madill Grapple Yarder . The operator was breaking in on a machine he hadn't run before , and was holding the Haulback BrakeView attachment 276307 View attachment 276308 View attachment 276309 View attachment 276310 a little tight when the Guyline broke . Unfortunately he didn't get off the Haulback quick enough .
I should have said he didn't get off the mainline friction and haulback brake in time . I made a similar mistake on a 7220 American rigged up as a grapple yarder . I was recruited to run the American when the regular operator got called to town and the spare operator was on time off in a "6 day camp" . Pulling a big log up hill and I was on the haulback brake to hard to gain a little lift . The machine had one 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 inch guyline which broke . When I felt it break , I let go of the Mainline lever . The most damage was a broken guyline and loss of pride . EJ was back the next day and got hold of the same log and just let it find its own way across and up the hill .