• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

looking at cranes for some cabin and shop projects

crane operator

That terex won't be a joystick machine, it will be levers on the dash- and a foot pedal for boom.

Just remember, load king only took over the terex boom truck and truck crane lines- not the RT's. Terex told all the dealers they were out of luck when they shut down us production, they gave no warning, and some dealers were stuck with new cranes that were instantly worth a lot less $$$$.

Terex is now trying to reintroduce in the U. S. rt's that they have built overseas (it used to be italy- but I'm not sure now). But enough people got burned last time around, that I don't think they have had many takers.

So if you have a winch issue, or trans, or computer- there isn't anyone to call with terex. Not that they were great service, before they shut down us production, but there was a little help. You're on your own for figuring it out now. Better hope it comes with books.

IF its the same $$$, I don't know why you wouldn't just get a grove or a linkbelt or tadano, there's no real reason to buy the terex unless its all you can afford.

When I bought my 70 ton- which is a P &H from the year before terex bought P&H out, I gave $50,000 less for it than I could buy a comparable link belt or grove. At that time, terex was still in the crane business, and I do most of my own work anyways, so I bought what I could afford. There's no way I would have bought my P&H, if the link belt or a grove was the same $$$.

NwbHoss

Occupation
retired crane operator
Thanks for the info Crane Operator!!! This is why I am here! I have no historical knowledge on any of these cranes and I saw that Terex which looks almost brand new and in perfect condition and the first thing that came to mind was "If it looks too good to be true it probably is" I need to make sure I am getting something that I will be able to maintain and service myself, I am too remote to depend on a shop for repairs and if I can't even get good service info I will be going at it blind.
I just keep going back to that 1993 Link-belt RTC 8030 thinking that it would be the best fit for me.

NwbHoss

Occupation
retired crane operator
I am waiting to hear back from the sales guy I spoke with about the Link Belt. He is checking on shipping it this way. They may have an empty lowboy headed this way in mid march that it might be able to hop a ride on. That timeframe would work out perfect for me.

skyking1

I would not offer full price on that crane, with no jib. I don't see it selling like hotcakes out there in the middle of america.

crane operator

If all you need is a 30 ton RT, you won't have any trouble finding what you need at a good price. There's no need to be in a big hurry, because as I said earlier, all the bare rental outfits can send to jobs anymore is 60-70 ton and up, there's just not much demand anymore for 30 ton RT's.

There's so many 10-12k telelhandlers that have lots of other uses, that with the insurance and operator certifications, no one is interested in that small of a crane, its not worth the trouble.

Honestly, I thought the newer one of the two link belts they have for sale, looked like a nicer machine, but its 10k more $$$. But sometimes that's money well spent if its got like new tires, and the other one is on junk rubber with a bad LMI. The only way you know is by going and looking.

I really think if you have a little patience, you can probably come up with something that's a little newer with full power main for the same $$.

NwbHoss

Occupation
retired crane operator
Thank you for all the good info! I appreciate it! I definitely don't need anything over a 30 ton, Boom length is more my concern it seems a lot of the smaller cranes have 60-80ft booms and I think 80ft is the minimum I want to go. I am on a serious budget and I do realize the newer Link Belt you showed me is a lot more crane for the money but I know me and if I don't draw a line somewhere I will end up spending way more than I can afford. The crane will see very little travel time. The 2 shops and 2 log homes I am building are only about 5 miles apart and that trip will only be made a couple times. The first shop gets underway about middle to the end of April depending on weather so I do need to have it on site by then for the trusses. We will be digging the post holes with an excavator so it can be used to stand up the posts. After these are done anything else it does is just side work. I do not plan on using it full time at all maybe just a small job here and there. Swinging a jib or extending dead stick is not something I am worried about doing I will have plenty of room to do so but with both places on relatively steep hillside (both are daylight basement houses) getting the crane to the site, setup and being able to keep it in one spot for the duration of the build is most important. this is why I am going for a R/T crane with preferably a 90 or better boom.
Please keep posting up any knowledge you choose to pass on! I am listening!!!!

NwbHoss

Occupation
retired crane operator
If all you need is a 30 ton RT, you won't have any trouble finding what you need at a good price. There's no need to be in a big hurry, because as I said earlier, all the bare rental outfits can send to jobs anymore is 60-70 ton and up, there's just not much demand anymore for 30 ton RT's.

There's so many 10-12k telelhandlers that have lots of other uses, that with the insurance and operator certifications, no one is interested in that small of a crane, its not worth the trouble.

Honestly, I thought the newer one of the two link belts they have for sale, looked like a nicer machine, but its 10k more $$$. But sometimes that's money well spent if its got like new tires, and the other one is on junk rubber with a bad LMI. The only way you know is by going and looking.

I really think if you have a little patience, you can probably come up with something that's a little newer with full power main for the same $$.

Tires are a concern for sure. Of the 2 Link Belts you gave me links to (which are my 2 front runners right now) the older one looks to have at least one bad tire and at a couple grand each that adds up fast. Add to that dealing with downtime because of a tire and how remote I am it makes for a real problem. I think I am going to have both those cranes inspected since they are in the same yard and see what the inspection says.

crane operator

1997 8030- with a full power boom. It had been given a quickie ritchie paint job, and you can see rust in the black part of the boom extensions, so it may have been pretty rusty before they shot the paint on the lower.

Sold for 27,500, but in florida at ritchie's, so that a pretty bottom price. Tires looked good though, but I'd prefer to see anything in person I was buying from them at auction. I've done sight unseen on some other things, but I'd prefer to see it.

So the guy with the other two isn't really out of line with what he's asking, he just doesn't have full power boom, which isn't a big deal if you aren't setting up and tearing down all the time.

https://www.rbauction.com/1997-link...vId=13034162&id=ci&auction=orlando-fl-2022101

Last edited:

skyking1

35 ton but not much of a chart difference really.
What amazes me is how poorly that 28 ton National 1195 charted. It was what I had and I made it work, but it was sad even looking at the little 18 ton P&H chart.
The 28 ton boom truck was good for 3200 @60'
These 30 ton RT's are good for 6200 @60', it picks the same 3200 @80'

Last edited:

John Griffin

35 ton but not much of a chart difference really.
What amazes me is how poorly that 28 ton National 1195 charted. It was what I had and I made it work, but it was sad even looking at the little 18 ton P&H chart.
The 28 ton boom truck was good for 3200 @60'
These 30 ton RT's are good for 6200 @60', it picks the same 3200 @80'
Got to remember the tonnage is not apples to apples when comparing boom trucks and cranes. Most of the boom truck charts are rated at 5 or 6 ft radius. Most cranes are 9 or 10 ft for their tonnage rating. Also most boom truck dont really have a counterweight hanging way out the back like a real crane does.

skyking1

^that's a nice one too. Freight will be more but that is it.
Pretty much the exact same crane as the one in Las Vegas, same vintage, same controls. That one had the oilcanning on the boom bottom that was noticeable.

NwbHoss

Occupation
retired crane operator
I heard back from the guy with the 1993 Link Belt in Nebraska and they want 10-13K to ship it on top of the 30k price. I would be a serious player for 30k with shipping
1993 LINK-BELT RTC-8030 For Sale in South Sioux City, Nebraska | CraneTrader.com
The 1995 at 40k is a nicer crane but with shipping on it we are way out of my budget.
1995 LINK-BELT RTC-8030 For Sale in South Sioux City, Nebraska | CraneTrader.com
I am sure I could find cheaper shipping elsewhere but its a long haul no matter how I look at it its going to cost.

crane operator

I heard back from the guy with the 1993 Link Belt in Nebraska and they want 10-13K to ship it on top of the 30k price. I would be a serious player for 30k with shipping
1993 LINK-BELT RTC-8030 For Sale in South Sioux City, Nebraska | CraneTrader.com
The 1995 at 40k is a nicer crane but with shipping on it we are way out of my budget.
1995 LINK-BELT RTC-8030 For Sale in South Sioux City, Nebraska | CraneTrader.com
I am sure I could find cheaper shipping elsewhere but its a long haul no matter how I look at it its going to cost.

I'm going to throw out something, and really want you to think about it- I don't really think you need a crane. I mentioned this to skyking when he told me about your project. If I was doing what you are talking about building, I wouldn't use a crane, except for what I "had" to have a crane for. I sure wouldn't buy a crane. I might use a crane to set the trusses, but that's because I own the cranes. The biggest trusses are 40' for the shop and you don't have to have a crane for those.

If I was building a new house for myself the first thing I would do is rent or buy a telehandler with a work basket and a jib, and put it on the house site. And I own enough cranes that it wouldn't cost me anything to put a crane on the site.

Hire a crane if you need to for setting the timbers or the trusses. Last log cabin I did was 2 days, and we could have set them in 1 if they would have been on the ball. Same thing with the shop- most shop buildings the size you are talking, is a one day project to set the trusses. So the only thing the crane would "be nice to have" for is really at max 6 days of work for the project. Even at $1,500 per day, that's 9k which is less than the freight to get you a crane. I think you would be so much better off spending your "crane money" in a different way.

What you really need is a 8k or 10 k telehandler with a work basket and a jib. You can use it to unload trucks and carry materials around the site. You can work out of the basket for siding and roofing. Put a bundle of sheeting up on the roof or steel up for the shop buildings. There's a reason you see a telehandler on every jobsite you drive around. They are much more multiuse, in a way that a crane is pretty specialized. .

I can rent a telehandler by the month for less than $3,000. You don't have to have two guys to do everything, like you do with the crane. With the crane, if a truck shows up that you need to unload, you really need one guy to rig and place what you're unloading, and one guy to run the crane. A forklift is a one man game.

In doing your projects, I could see using a telehandler about every day for the whole project, it would make a lot of things a lot easier. Carrying around concrete forms. Unload your floor trusses. Unload and set the logs. Set the roof. Put the sheeting on the roof. Stand in the basket with the windows to install them. Stand in the basket putting soffit on. Gutters. Every day you will find something to use a telehandler for, and the crane "it would be nice to have" for about a week.

And if at the end of your project, you don't want the telehandler any more, it will sell in a quarter of the time, for the same or more $$ than you will get out of the crane. But I think you will want to keep the forklift for maintence around the property and they are so handy for so many things. And at the end of the project with a crane like you are looking at, I think its going to be a lot harder to sell, and its going to sit in the weeds and go to crap because you have absolutely no need for it.

I don't mean to rain all over your parade of buying a crane, but I wouldn't feel right about not saying what I really think, about what you need to do.

crane operator

I would be looking at this kind of stuff, in what you need to do.

In your budget range, I would be looking for a skytrack 10054, a lull 1044-54, or maybe a cat - but the cat only because of the cat support system if that's important to you. The cat's aren't as simple or as easy/ cheap to fix. The skytrak's and lulls are dirt simple robust machines. There's not a lot on them that can't be fixed by a trip to NAPA.

I don't know your site, but you may be able to get by with a smaller 8-9k machine- they have a small advantage in not being as long of wheelbase in a tight spot.

I just went to machinery trader and put in 20,000- 30,000 for a price range, and these are a few that caught my eye. Rental houses are always rolling over old ones, and you can probably source something much closer than a lot of these are.

https://www.machinerytrader.com/listing/for-sale/211845047/1995-sky-trak-10054-telehandlers-lifts

https://www.machinerytrader.com/listing/for-sale/209231375/1999-lull-644b-42-telehandlers-lifts

https://www.machinerytrader.com/listing/for-sale/207021607/lull-844c-telehandlers-lifts

https://www.machinerytrader.com/listing/for-sale/114864015/2009-jlg-g9-43a-telehandlers-lifts

https://www.machinerytrader.com/listing/for-sale/29255777/2006-caterpillar-th460b-telehandlers-lifts

https://www.machinerytrader.com/lis...3-lull-1044c-54-highlander-telehandlers-lifts