• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Dodge Cab, appears a Diamond style Radiator Cornice. Fella here restored a 1959 Dodge Pickup, had to replace clouded shield, $860 JUST for the Glass, seal had to be custom made.

skyking1

Break the windshield and your wallet will be in the eye of the beholder. Those old wrap around
shields are expensive.
That is some of the beauty. The way the windshield curves are matched with the nose, that attention to styling details. I like it a lot! The 4wd and giant tires, the little chrome caps, the headlight array on the bumper. That is Oshkosh type goodness.

Truck Shop

Have to wonder if the skinny little kids at school got picked on too much and decided to go into truck designing to get even with the kids who were into trucks?
Remember-In those days the average height was 5'11 not 6'1" plus average weight hovered
at 190 lbs. Cabs were smaller because they didn't need to be big was the thought at the time.
I'm reading a book right now by Sam Quinones { The Least of Us}. It's a fact based documentary
on addiction in the U.S. and elsewhere. Mainly about opioids, fentanyl and the effects of just plain
Sugar. With the poor diets of Americans no wonder truck cabs seem small. Sugar is the main
ingredient in most food-especially the garbage offered at a truck stop. In the early days of trucking
drivers often lumped their loads plus they weren't driving along with a bag of corn chips and
Little Debbie snacks available at every turn of the wheel. Most trucks didn't have power steering,
manual everything. As a kid I don't remember that many over weight people including truck drivers.
So yeah--truck cabs were small, plus they weren't living in them.

Below is some photo's from wheat farm harvest, can anyone find a over weight person in these
photos. Farmers today are over weight. I see them all over town.

Stanley Bishop, J H Rea & John Hunt Rea, 1950.JPGCase tractor, Sam Grant standing front of wheel, 1915.JPGCook wagon and crew, unknown location.jpgGrant's Case tractor & water wagon at harvest, 1915.JPG