• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

Truck Shop

I received a call from my friend Steve this morning {You got time to go look at some Cummins}?
So we went for a drive, old guy he knows has a business cleaning up warehouses, farms what
ever comes along. So I looked at three one semi complete 444, one short blocked big cam and
another big cam block that had been machined, decked and counter bores cut with new cam
bearings. Plus three recon cylinder heads. Then a BCII complete. Plus a couple of bell housings.

$1,500 for all. The Machined block is $1,500 to $2,000 just in machine work alone.

Pops52

Occupation
Worn out lowbed driver "retired"
I received a call from my friend Steve this morning {You got time to go look at some Cummins}?
So we went for a drive, old guy he knows has a business cleaning up warehouses, farms what
ever comes along. So I looked at three one semi complete 444, one short blocked big cam and
another big cam block that had been machined, decked and counter bores cut with new cam
bearings. Plus three recon cylinder heads. Then a BCII complete. Plus a couple of bell housings.

$1,500 for all. The Machined block is $1,500 to $2,000 just in machine work alone.
Did you buy them?

Truck Shop

Did you buy them?
Not yet, I already have a BCI 400 complete setting that's a good core, I could easily build three.
Plus that 444 can be turned into a full mechanical, the 444 is a lower press fit liner block.
Big Cams are still a wanted item, average price for machine work and parts to do a full rebuild
is 9 to 10 K. depending. Plus I have a line on a 98 N14 500 hp so before long I would have a
pile of engines. I forgot he had a 250 there too with a drop back manifold, was a stationary.

He had a couple of 8V71's and a 92 also, I had to hold my nose as I walked by those.

Truck Shop

I'm surprised you don't have Fruehauf on there.
I have one it's too big for space on box, looking for a small one.
$1,500 for all
That was incorrect-it was $1,300 there were three big cams and one 444. The 444 is really just
a mechanical N14 {STC} with low flow cooling instead of the high flow of the N14. The thing
about the N14 is it's basically the same block as a BC with lower press fit liners. It can be built
into a long lasting BCIII using BCIII heads injectors and pump.

Truck Shop

Only photo I've seen of a 351 with quad headlights. Starting 1957 Pete offered fiberglass fenders
as far as the headlights that is unknown, there are no build sheets showing those plus the glass
fenders were limited in sales.

345842583_260023169813041_2028614708067799765_n.jpg

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Been looking for a old Great Dane badge. A few of these are worth some dough.
The REO is 1911.

View attachment 285698
Looks very similar to my box, but I don't have that much good vintage stuff. Actually have an 80's FLR air horn mounted to the top lid (not hooked up for obvious reasons) and a brand new old stock bulldog mounted to bottom box. Have gotten comments for years about donating box to the Smithsonian when no longer wrenching. Like that's gonna happen anytime soon.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

Looks very similar to my box, but I don't have that much good vintage stuff. Actually have an 80's FLR air horn mounted to the top lid (not hooked up for obvious reasons) and a brand new old stock bulldog mounted to bottom box. Have gotten comments for years about donating box to the Smithsonian when no longer wrenching. Like that's gonna happen anytime soon.
I have a horn too but not mounted to anything, a yarder tooter. Loud as can be, came from a Madill
071 green yarder.

Last edited: