• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Menzi Walking Excavator - Best Video Ever!

dayexco

Yup you could do it but the job would cost way more then if a I did it because it would take you way longer to do. While your busy trying to get set up and figure out how your going to sit on those slopes...or even get to them I'm well into the job already. I'm half the size of a 200 track machine but have the same power, digging depth and reach. I'm as mobile as a rubber tire back hoe and have 7 more auxiliary hydraulic lines (5 on the stick plus 2 more for the winch). Those lines power a list off attachments a mile long. A few of the more useful ones are (excluding the obvious like hammers and packers)

Mower
Feller Buncher
Mulcher
Drill
Processor Head
Crane Gear
Grapple Bucket
Demolition shears
Swivel and continuous 360 degree rotation of any attachment

I can do anything a conventional machine can and a whole more.
You seem to think it would be a hard machine to find work for, what am I missing here?

please give me a link that i can look up the specs of the kaiser....any google i've tried, gives me a dead link. thanks

mike69440

Occupation
Engineer
A track machine should not go there.

Does anyone appreciate what a 30 Degree, not a 30% slope really looks like? It’s darn tough to walk. Heck, I consider myself an ok skier, but 35 degrees scares the bravery right out of me. I'm a novice at excavation, but I'd be real scared to run a track excavator on a 25 degree slope. My machine drags it’s butt climbing up one that steep and yes, it’s drive motors will usually spin the tracks pushing with the dozer blade before stalling the motors.

The very experienced dozer operator I hire slid his machine on a 25 degree slope of only 35 ft elevation. As it was dry hard ground, I was able to rubber tire up it with my TLB to get the stuff he gave up on. I thought I was going to fall over backward and when the Tractor slid a bit sideways, I really puckered before I recovered.
Those photos of the Scandinavian Mountain slopes are incredible. A track machine is not going to work there. An honest 30 3egree slope most operators stay away from.

BrianHay

Hi ron what part of B.c are you in. I'm in Nanaimo right now. Mine only has one travel gear, 6mph. The new ones have 2 and will do about 12mph.

There is a few websites down on the net, I wonder what's up with that. Kaiser's address is www.kaiser.li it's down now but I'm sure they will get it up again. If you go to the downloads page there is pdf files with specs there. The new 07 specs they got there aren't as detailed as last years. If you want those you can
email me and I will send them to you. They are to big to post. The biggest change this year is they bumped it up from 132hp to 157hp :eek: not bad for a little ten ton machine eh.

Here is the basics
weight: 20,723 lbs
dig depth: 236.6 inches
max reach: 319.7 inches
lift capacity: 12,125 lbs @ 10 feet, 6173 lbs @ 16 ft, and 3527 lbs @ 23 ft

BrianHay

100% is a 1:1 and 60 degrees is almost .5:1 REALLY steep. I'm not used to thinking in degrees ether. I would probably tie of at 60 degrees. I'm safe at 100% though.

Foster

All those attachments are nice but they are real proud of them. For example over 18,000 usd for a grapple bucket. Seems a little steep but that said I am in the process of selling my Harley so I can buy one.

BrianHay

Hey another Spyder Hoe guy!! Right On! Welcome to HEF Foster! :D Have you got some pictures of your machine for us?

Selling your Harley for a grapple :eek: Now there is a man who loves his machine lol I agree the prices are steep but from what I here you should never have to buy another, they are extremely tough and well built. How is the wear on your cleanup bucket? The first thing I noticed is that they don't have changeable cutting edges on them. But apparently they don't need them? I have seen a couple old buckets that still look really good.

BrianHay

I was going to edit my last post to add this but it wouldn't go just kept loading forever, but anyways.

Did you have your avatar when I answered your first post Foster? I didn't notice it but then again I often post from my cell phone and turn the pictures off so they don't show unless I click on them. Makes a big difference on my phone bill. And even on my laptop avatars are really small and I can barley make out whats on the back of the truck. Looks to be a Menzi Muck?

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Foster! :drinkup

Foster

Thank you for the welcome. Yes had avatar and yes I have more pics of Menzi, Too soon to be able to post. Its a 2001 A71 with about 2000 hours on it. Was last owned by the city of Sarrasota Florida, Just picked it up about 3 weeks ago. Been trucking since 1976 and its' getting real old. Hopping I can make a living with the shovel instead. Its a blast to operate and set up with a lot of common sence.
ps, bring extra shorts with you to work.
Bret.

Foster

Just looked again and found out I can post pics :D

Attachments

• (4).JPG
    (4).JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 928
  • (8).JPG
    (8).JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 938
  • (6).JPG
    (6).JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 930

tw_692000

Occupation
heavy equipment opperator /assistant foreman
I just finished uploading 98 pics from my laptop for you guys :eek: I think you will enjoy them. :D

But first the disclaimer:
These are NOT my own pictures. It's a collection of pictures I got off the net while researching buying my own. If any of the pictures in this collection are yours please let me know and I will remove and/or credit you for them :)

Here is the link

If you look right bellow the Gallery logo you will see some little icons. Click the one on the left and a menu will slide out with a full screen slide show option.

nice pics Brian !! that looks like a hand machine i think that would be nice on some of our bridge jobs where a smaller machine don't sink in mud as bad when we get down in the creek full of water ......wonder if you can put a cal 2500 breaker on one?

BrianHay

That's a nice looking machine Bret :notworthy I'm sure you will do well with it. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your projects.

BrianHay

Hi tw,
I'm actually anticipating a lot of bridge work this spring. It can work in six feet of water, is almost unstoppable in the mud and runs biodegradable oil. I know there is breakers available for them but I don't know much about which ones are compatible. Maybe this will help

Max oil flow is 50gal/minute-system preasure 300 bar

dayexco

yes, appears to be a very versatile machine, but doesn't "quite" spec out to a 200 sized hoe. i'm sure you'll find plenty of work for it, as i hope you do.....i stiill maintain in my market area, there wouldn't be enough work for a unit as that and be able to make payments. you'd have to travel 400-500 mile radius. our digging conditions here on the prairie wouldn't warrant it. we need something on the flat ground that's more mobile than that, we're into primarily sanitary sewer, storm sewer, water main work....that machine wouldn't apply at all, we track too much, move too much.
good luck

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
A machine like that doesn't NEED to spec out like a 200 size hoe. Most jobs with a machine like that you're getting paid just because you can get a machine to a difficult site, not because it can move a hell of alot of dirt, quickly. My friend that had one years ago actually had two of them and he kept them both busy all the time. He did have to travel to keep them busy, but he was getting paid fairly handsomely to do that as well.

dayexco

A machine like that doesn't NEED to spec out like a 200 size hoe. Most jobs with a machine like that you're getting paid just because you can get a machine to a difficult site, not because it can move a hell of alot of dirt, quickly. My friend that had one years ago actually had two of them and he kept them both busy all the time. He did have to travel to keep them busy, but he was getting paid fairly handsomely to do that as well.

i didn't say it had to either...brian said it spec'd out the same as a 200 class excavator...hp yes, reach and dig depth, no....i think you're reading my posts all wrong. apparently brian has done a lot of market research for his area and has come to the conclusion he can keep that machine very busy, and very profitable...more power to him!!! all i've been saying, that here on the prairies of south dakota, i'm of the opinion that you would be hard pressed to keep that machine busy for the intended purpose for which it's designed.

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
I've only seen one of these excavators in my area, back when Fisheries did a reapir job on a fish rich creek, the walking excavator was the only machine able to cling to that hill side, quite impressive.
Owner of the excavator I believe is Strohmier Excavating, based out of Chilliwack.