• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Menzi Walking Excavator - Best Video Ever!

AllMtnConst.

Occupation
Self Employed
Flipped spyder

http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90038&page=5
Hi Brian,
Check out this forum it has a picture (mid-way down on the forum page) of a flipped kaiser at Crystal Mountain in Washington. Have you heard anything about this? Worked with Andy from AIS and his kaiser knickfuss this past summer in Colorado. Trying to find out who owned the spyder that flipped- maybe Roger @ kaiser has heard something? These machines are absolutely fascinating!

BrianHay

Hi AllMtnConst. Welcome to HEF. Roger showed me a bunch of pictures of that machine. He went over there to assess the damage for them. I don't know the story behind how it happened but I do know it's fixable and they are going to repair it. I feel bad for the operator, thats a nice machine. It's an S2 only a few years old.

Hey Ron I kinda thought I would hear from you to meet up and check out our machine. It's still in Mission but I'm out on the Island right now lining things up to bring it here. I'm not sure yet exactly when I will be going to pick it up but if you want I will PM you when I do and if things work out we can meet up.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Eqipment Forums AllMtnConst.! :drinkup

BrianHay

Check these guys out. They advertise doing conventional work with their machines as well as the extreme stuff

http://www.allterrainexc.com/

Now that I have some seat time in mine it's not hard to see why. I will of course go for the extreme stuff first. But if there is a slow time in that area I would not hesitate to put my machine up against any other machine of comparable size/specs on flat land work as well. It is FAST and efficient in all situations.

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
Anything you do with a walking excavator is considered extreme, just loading/unloading it onto/off a truck with out ramps would be extreme in my books.

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Just finally looked at this vid, wow, that is awesome. great vid
Trbo

BrianHay

I'm just tossing this out there, something I'm pondering. I had considered our machine booked on a hand shake. Another contractor on the island had said he was swammped in work and wanted to sub our machine as soon as it got here. He had a truck to transport it and would pick it up as soon as it was ready. I kept in touch and kept him updated but it turned out to be all talk when it came time to actually go to work. So now the machine is in Mission ready to go to....? It's not a big deal, I have a few good leads I'm working on that I'm sure will work out. But in the mean time I would like to get it to the island and ready to go here when the time comes. I was thinking if there is some one out there with a truck I would consider swapping a day or two work for a ride to the Island. That would get our machine out there and seen and a cheap demo for some one who has a truck to move it. It will climb right into the box of a tandem axle dump truck so it's cheap and easy to transport.

Here is a link to my contact info

Last edited:

BrianHay

Here is a couple of cab shots. I will get some better ones later.

Attachments

• IMAGE_00017.jpg
    IMAGE_00017.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,556
  • IMAGE_00016.jpg
    IMAGE_00016.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,585

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Here is a couple of cab shots. I will get some better ones later.

Wow, it's more...um...purple than I imagined. :D

Yeah, seems the days of the good ol' handshake are over, doesn't it.

BrianHay

haha I gotta get a real digital camera the cell pics arn't to great.

Ya sucks that had to be my first lesson in business. I knew it would happen one day but on the first hand shake... I guess a guy has to get a signed contract or a deposit to book in advance.

AllMtnConst.

Occupation
Self Employed
Thanks for the welcome. Once I am able to post some pictures, I'll send some of what I am doing.
Brian, Kaiser did a heck of a job refurbishing your machine. It looks great. Best of luck to you.

LT-x7

Occupation
Earth Moving Contractor
So now that you've got some time in the seat how do you like running it? Is it a lot different than a regular tracked machine? Seems like it would take some time to get use to with all the different ways it can articulate.

BrianHay

I love operating it. It has Cat controls on the joysticks and then as you can see lots of additional buttons, levers and pedals (six more that you can't see in the pics). But the layout of the controls makes sense, it didn't take long to catch onto them. The 4 buttons on each joystick that you can see control the legs up and down. When your sitting with the big wheels behind you the two inside buttons on each side control the front legs and the 2 outside the back. There are two buttons you can't see on the front of each joystick for auxiliary hydraulics. The buttons bellow the joysticks are for the legs in and out. The pedals from left to right are. Auxiliary for grapples and and other attachments, Drive wheels and extend a hoe. Then for steering when you are driving there is a lever to the right that moves the legs with the small wheels both at the same time. It has a really roomy cab and the seat is excellent. It has two swing speeds one if your sitting level that is really fast and the other for if you need more swing power. In slow mode it is still just as fast as any other hoe I have been on.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
hey

That little thing looks like fun, how do you backfill with it!

BrianHay

Hi Tonka it's a blast to operate. I'm not sure what you meen? I guess I would backfill the same as any other excavator does...or in some situations maybe I would be able to position myself better then most.

BrianHay

Haha right on, well here is a couple of shots for you...I need a camera man. When I was in the best positions for pics I couldn't get out. Ether the mud was to deep/soft for me to walk on or I was hanging by my seat belt. Even though I got into the mud deep enough to get the back of her engine compartment dirty I was not even close to stuck. Just had to be careful swinging. Their ability in soft ground is amazing.

edit: doesn't look like it's working posting the pics from my cell phone. Will add them when I get home

Last edited: