• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
Hi guys, I recently picked up a John Deere 30g mini ex. I’ve been doing some jobs that require some grading and I find it difficult to get the grade perfect without small subtle bumps. I do own a Kubota BX24. It was my first piece. I don’t currently have the funds to go buy a skid steer for the grading and Harley rake or rockhound set up. My BX has just a back hoe no attachments. I’ve been thinking about getting a box blade. Would this pair well with my mini? I’m currently using a 3’ smooth edge/ditching bucket on the mini ex and the blade obviously. I can get the grades close just not perfect. Would the box blade clean this up or should I just keep saving and get an older wheeled skid? Let me know your thoughts. Thank you!

Delmer

In this case, yes, I agree a box blade would be a good choice. Another possibility might be multi bladed plane type attachment, either three point, loader mounted, or pull type depending on how much work and the size of jobs you expect to do with it. If we're talking very small jobs, then back dragging with the bucket at different angles, even pulling a spike tooth with the bucket at the same time would get an even surface. Alternate passes at different angles.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
The nice thing about the box blade is they are inexpensive and do a nice job of grading given time.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums DH! Glad to have you.

Like my sig line says - "Run what ya brung". What type of work do you do?

Welcome to the Forums DH! Glad to have you.

Like my sig line says - "Run what ya brung". What type of work do you do?
I do a bunch, I stared with a push mower and a weed wacker 3 years ago. I then bought the bx and now the mini. I’ve installed lawns, built walls, small paver patios, concrete, lawn repair, currently I bought some land and I’m installing a driveway. It just seems tricky to get the sub grade perfect with the mini. I can get it close but one little hump and it will continue to grow on me with the small size of the 30g. I understand the blades are more for backfilling not grading. The bx loader bucket is good for spreading but sub grade it’s pretty weak.

In this case, yes, I agree a box blade would be a good choice. Another possibility might be multi bladed plane type attachment, either three point, loader mounted, or pull type depending on how much work and the size of jobs you expect to do with it. If we're talking very small jobs, then back dragging with the bucket at different angles, even pulling a spike tooth with the bucket at the same time would get an even surface. Alternate passes at different angles.
I’d say I’m more into medium jobs now. I can get it pretty damn close with my mini it’s just those little 1-3 inch dips or bumps over a 6-10’ span in the sub grade that have me frustrated. I figured I have the bx, it does what I need to. I’m never in much of a hurry just want nice results. I’ve never had an implement other than the backhoe on it and now I have the mini I haven’t touched the backhoe. I figured it’d be smart to get some sort of implement on the back that actually gets used.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I do a bunch, I stared with a push mower and a weed wacker 3 years ago. I then bought the bx and now the mini. I’ve installed lawns, built walls, small paver patios, concrete, lawn repair, currently I bought some land and I’m installing a driveway. It just seems tricky to get the sub grade perfect with the mini. I can get it close but one little hump and it will continue to grow on me with the small size of the 30g. I understand the blades are more for backfilling not grading. The bx loader bucket is good for spreading but sub grade it’s pretty weak.

Might want to try a 30-36" grading bucket. Or depending on the style of teeth on your bucket you can weld a piece of cutting edge on the two outside teeth to use for fine grading.

We have a 36" digging bucket for our 305E that we welded a piece of CTL cutting edge the length of the bucket to the two outside teeth and it works great for backfilling curbs and final grading. This is a Cat bucket with side pin teeth so all we have to do is knock the 2 pins out and we have a digging bucket.

In reality the edge stays on the majority of the time. When I priced the buckets a Cat 36" cleanout bucket was more expensive than a regular digging bucket so might as well have the versatility.

You can cover a lot subgrade on a small job with a mini and 30-36" edge.

Might want to try a 30-36" grading bucket. Or depending on the style of teeth on your bucket you can weld a piece of cutting edge on the two outside teeth to use for fine grading.

We have a 36" digging bucket for our 305E that we welded a piece of CTL cutting edge the length of the bucket to the two outside teeth and it works great for backfilling curbs and final grading. This is a Cat bucket with side pin teeth so all we have to do is knock the 2 pins out and we have a digging bucket.

In reality the edge stays on the majority of the time. When I priced the buckets a Cat 36" cleanout bucket was more expensive than a regular digging bucket so might as well have the versatility.

You can cover a lot subgrade on a small job with a mini and 30-36" edge.
I do have one. It’s 34’’. I believe on the 30g the 36 will hit the cab with the boom pivoted all the way to the left with the arm all the way in and boom all the way left. Maybe I’m just not experienced enough. I’ll get it close then blade then grade some more then blade and I feel I just can’t get it perfect. The only time I use the digging bucket is when I’m digging. All grading is done with the 34 smooth.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
I bought a crappy old 6’ grading blade for my Kubota.
Never used it for 10 years, then last year I tried it on my driveway with 50 tons of 3/4 mini pack . It was awesome. Better than the box blade because you can angle it like a grader. It won’t move much material but it’s awesome for finishing. Just run up and down driveway up and back. You can move material to center or to edge and my 3 point hitch pivots a little so I can set a cut.
Very fast for finishing but my neck doesn’t like it.
If yo have wet material, it makes it even easier.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I do have one. It’s 34’’. I believe on the 30g the 36 will hit the cab with the boom pivoted all the way to the left with the arm all the way in and boom all the way left. Maybe I’m just not experienced enough. I’ll get it close then blade then grade some more then blade and I feel I just can’t get it perfect. The only time I use the digging bucket is when I’m digging. All grading is done with the 34 smooth.

Give it more time and practice. You can do a lot with that bucket.

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
Questions:

1. Are you just grading out dirt? If so, the equipment you have is likely fine.
2. Are you going to add gravel or topsoil over the grade you just set. If so, don't worry about being and inch or so off as you can correct it with the fill.
3. Are you Re-grading a compacted gravel area or road? That's a bit different and could require different equipment.

Welder Dave

Box blades take some practice. They are pretty versatile though and can carry material. If you're mostly just smoothing looser or medium compacted material a landplane with 2 angled blades works really well and is easier to get the hang of. Better ones have scarifier shanks and the blades can be tilted.