• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Multimeter recommendation

Delmer

How long did your last one last and what killed it? if you run them over every few weeks, a $5 meter from harbor freight will tell you most of what a $500 fluke etc. will tell you. I don't have a fluke, but the 'nicer than HF' brand I have has gotten wet and dried out more times than I can remember, so a way better investment than any HF. But HF are more fun to run over.

How long did your last one last and what killed it? if you run them over every few weeks, a $5 meter from harbor freight will tell you most of what a $500 fluke etc. will tell you. I don't have a fluke, but the 'nicer than HF' brand I have has gotten wet and dried out more times than I can remember, so a way better investment than any HF. But HF are more fun to run over.
I had a 50-60 Klein that worked well for me for a few years. I was testing resistance on a solenoid and the reading just seemed off. I used my buddies Bluepoint and it confirmed the solenoid was bad. That's why I'm considering an upgrade now.

BillG

If it is within your budget and needs, a 233 Fluke is a very versatile meter. The nice part is the remote display, just hook up the leads to whatever you are testing unclip the display and take it in the cab or whatever. You can monitor the test point from as far away as 33 Ft.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Quality test leads make a world of difference and less frustration along the way. I've ordered mine from Zoro.com. Pasternack.com has been used for many patch, and RF energy usage type cables also.

Kind of $$$, but if you make a living with test equipment.....

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
If you are only using a meter for equipment (24 v dc) or around the house, pick on that has a cat III rating or higher from a reputable certification organization. The rating is for the energy that the meter is supposed to be able to handle while not exploding in your hands. I have used Fluke (87, 189, process meter) for the past 25 yrs as in the old days, they were the leader in the standards though they may be manufactured off shore now. Klein, Exteck, Greenlee are all good names as well.
the features you need will determine which meter you should get.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I have used Klein and Greenlee and not impressed They are cheap. They are not meter brands, they are hand tool brands (pliers, hole saws, etc) and they do not make meters, they put their name on Chinese junk. Extech is a meter brand but strike me as cheaper in quality than Fluke by a long shot.

I'm not one for buying big brands but nothing I have used compares to my simple and good Fluke gear.

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
Exteck is/was part of the same group as the Flir infrared cameras. Of the 35 electricians I worked with, most had Fluke meters though the old guys had/ used Simson analog meters. There were a few Greenlee meters, mainly used along with a Fluke when trying to read multiple points. Cam

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
I use a Fluke 115 most of the time. Much less expensive than the 87's or 88's. If I need to perform duty cycle or frequency readings, then I have an old Craftsman Professional that has been real good to me. Plus the Craftman one is water resistant. So it is the one I use outside if it is raining.

Screenshot 2023-04-07 at 5.15.28 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-04-07 at 5.15.08 AM.png

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
The Fluke 115 does frequency extremely well. That is why I have it in the generator business. The others mentioned will all give very bogus and/or low resolution readings when trying to read generator frequency but the Fluke is always spot on. I haven't found much use for duty cycle but I suppose it comes from not having that function, if I had it I would probably use it.