• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My first track loader!

boone

Thanks, it's super clean for the year and hours, 10,360, besides a few leaks. Plans for the 225 Lc are to clean out a creek on my parents property, use it for my little scrap business on the side "if prices ever come back up" I do have jobs from 3 neighbors lined up one is cleaning out a pond, another is to dig a pond on a farm and the third is a demo/clearing job, knocking down old pig pens and clearing about 5 acres, all these jobs are within 2 miles of each other. I have been searching for a 225 for at least 4 years, I'm picky I guess, it had to have the 3304 4cyl and it had to have the rexroth double pump set up. I'll be sure to post pictures as I know the members love pics.

Danny

Looks like a real straight machine from the other pictures. Sounds like your patience has paid off. I've heard tales of those machines running for 20k plus hours without needing much work. Should give you a lot of dependable service. I don't really know the first thing about excavators, but sure wouldn't mind having one. Especially for building a pond. I'd like to try my hand at clearing with one too, but I would imagine a lot could go wrong in a hurry if you're not careful. Can't wait to see some pictures of your work on it and with it. You're right, we love pics!

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I personally would have the dealer do it as I would be working alone and like you said,I would want it done once and done right.As you accumulate the tools to do the job right things may change but for now have the dealer do it.Ron G

Dapperdan16

Hey Ron, what I meant by, "I don't wanna do this job twice so should I just spend the money and get it from Cat dealer"? I was talking about buying the new seal from the dealer, compared to buying a cheap aftermarket one. Dad was a mechanic for 35 years, I have the books on the machine, and I borrowed the installer tool from a guy I met on youtube a few years ago, he has 3 Cat 225's, so I'm in pretty good shape, I'll start a new thread in the excavators section when I get started.

Dapperdan16

Boone, have you thought about building a pond on the farm with the track loader? your right a lot can go wrong in a hurry, I guess thats with any equipment, my dad has always taught me growing up "you have to respect the machine, it's not a toy" I'll start a new thread in the excavator section when I get started working on it and with it. Danny

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Sounds like you're in good shape then and yes,even at twice the cost or more,I would buy the seal from Cat.Good luck.Ron G

boone

Boone, have you thought about building a pond on the farm with the track loader? your right a lot can go wrong in a hurry, I guess thats with any equipment, my dad has always taught me growing up "you have to respect the machine, it's not a toy" I'll start a new thread in the excavator section when I get started working on it and with it. Danny

Yes, I've considered a pond. The place used to have a decent one, but the spill way washed out and I think the water source for it found a new underground channel. It's dry all year round now. One of our jobs left to do is fill it all in. My brother and I have identified a new spot for one that would be fed from two healthy springs, but I'm not sure how we'd do it without burying the loader. My brother looked at prices for renting an excavator, but we'd need a offroad dump truck and need to do it in a dry time. Neither of us have time to devote to it for now. Oh well, a project for another day.

Be sure to keep us posted on your 225. I still feel like a kid when it comes to this stuff.

Dapperdan16

Be sure to keep us posted on your 225. I still feel like a kid when it comes to this stuff.[/QUOTE]

I definitely will start a new thread with updates and pictures, I feel the same way when I'm talking equipment or around it. :)

boone

Been trying to find some play time...

Have gotten 1/3 of my trails cut. Still have more to do, but I prefer to do it in winter when the vegetation is at a minimum. Makes it easier to plot my roads.

pic1.jpg

My brother and a buddy of ours planned a riding day back in March.

pic2.jpg

We tested the capabilities of our steeds in a branch that is notorious for stealing boots from small children and adults a like. The mud has the consistency of crisco.

My brother plotted his course and slowly made his way through, but got stuck on his way out.

pic3.jpg

Then I foolishly thought, "that wasn't as bad as I expected, if the ranger had some speed it could probably make that".

pic4.jpg

...negative

The 4 wheeler wouldn't budge it. We didn't even bother with the other ranger. Woke ole blue from it's slumber and it pulled it out no problem.

pic5.jpg

boone

This winter my brother and I have completely renovated the inside of my grandparent's old house. It was really showing signs of neglect. This is the house my dad grew up in so it's been pretty special for him. He's been the primary contractor. He's been doing all of the plumbing and electrical - tremendous amount of work. I couldn't begin to document and itemize everything he's done, but we've also had help from the whole family.

Here's a typical shot of dad working on the water line to the kitchen. We're tying in from the existing line we installed back a few pages ago in this thread. Trying to get past this steadfast rock here. Hardest rock we'd ever experienced. Drilling and pick ax - was a slow go.

IMG_20151123_134709549-1080.jpg

The house is complete. My brother and I use it on the weekends as a get-away for our families. Trying to give the kids a place to make some similar memories of life in the country.

boone

New Drive

With all the traffic that's been generated from our activities, the old drive-way has been in need of some help. Got some 3/4" stone at $386 a load. Had 4 big trucks role in on a Friday morning.

pic1-1080.jpg

We decided to start up at the tile just below the barn.

pic2-1080.jpg

All of our kids were there and they were pretty excited. Ole blue was ready to get involved too.

pic3-1080.jpg

boone

The drivers did a fantastic job making the spreading job very easy.

pic4-1080.jpg

pic5-1080.jpg

pic6-1080.jpg

The gravel went further than we thought, so we doubled up the road bed.

pic7-1080.jpg

We took the box off and put the rake on, it seem to do a bit better and I could angle it to keep the gravel in the drive-way.

pic8-1080.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Looks great Boone, the farm is coming along nicely. Good price on #57, $386 for 25 tons is cheap. I am paying around $500 per 25 tons.

Then I foolishly thought, "that wasn't as bad as I expected, if the ranger had some speed it could probably make that".

LOL, that kind of thinking has gotten me in trouble a few times too.:D

boone

Thanks CM. Just got the bill yesterday for the loads. I was honestly expecting around $400 to 450. I've been hemorrhaging funds on the house so it's nice this was cheaper than expected. There is a quarry not far from here so maybe that accounted for something.

LOL, that kind of thinking has gotten me in trouble a few times too.:D

Yup, not the first time for me, probably won't be the last. :tong

boone

Grubbing on the spring

Went over this past weekend with the wife and kids. After playing with the kids for awhile I decided to clear a little around the spring we started on on page 55.

Tools of choice - chainsaw and track loader! I was more or less looking for an excuse to get the loader out. Love this time of year.

pic1-1080.jpg

pic2-1080.jpg

I cut most of the brush out by hand and used the loader to sweep it up the hill.

pic3-1080.jpg

pic4-1080.jpg

boone

Few before shots

pic9-1080.jpg

pic11-1080.jpg

Piled and pushed.

pic5-1080.jpg

It's a mess, but it'll deteriorate quickly.

IMG_20160416_155403456-1080.jpg

pic6-1080.jpg

boone

pic14-1080.jpg

pic13-1080.jpg

Here's how the mouth of the spring looked on page 55 when were cleaning it.

old-1080.jpg

After. Still have some more cleanup to do on the upper sides, but it's getting there.

pic7-1080.jpg

boone

I don't know but the site inspector does not look happy!

LOL, yes he was not ready to sign off on it. Something about missing silt fence and younger brother didn't have permit to operator the tonka wheel loader.