• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new Deere 'G" series

roadrunner

ovrszd;
Nice to have another grader man operator here, especially doing road maintenence!Keep posting and about your machine and experiences!I
I love to learn new tricks and get new ideas!Thanks!
Nice 770D, I demoed a 872D and thought it was pretty nice!

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
pictures

I'll get some pictures of the plow hookup this evening. I think the center mounted scarifier would possibly be easier to use when ripping a roadbed. Might be easier to control depth. The downside to me would be that it's in the way when pushing big loads of dirt or when trying to get the blade into the bank position or maybe when trying to clean ditches?? When I rotate or change out my cutting edges I do it with the blade parallel alongside the machine using the bank position. Not sure I could get it there with a mid-mount scarifier?? Maybe someone that uses that type could chime in. For us though, we can't give up the plow mounting capability of the front mounted unit.

Grader4me

I'll get some pictures of the plow hookup this evening. I think the center mounted scarifier would possibly be easier to use when ripping a roadbed. Might be easier to control depth. The downside to me would be that it's in the way when pushing big loads of dirt or when trying to get the blade into the bank position or maybe when trying to clean ditches?? When I rotate or change out my cutting edges I do it with the blade parallel alongside the machine using the bank position. Not sure I could get it there with a mid-mount scarifier?? Maybe someone that uses that type could chime in. For us though, we can't give up the plow mounting capability of the front mounted unit.

I like the behind the front wheel scarfiers as it is easier to control depth as you can see what they are doing. One thing I used them for was ripping up road bed surfaces consisting of old asphalt etc. The disadvantage of the front mounted ones for this task is that they are hard to see, and as the asphalt chunks roll off the front wheels would ride up on the material. I've used this type before as previously stated. As a matter of fact it was on a John Deere.
I also use the scarfiers when preparing a road for chipseal. This means giving the whole road a light ripping from side to side so that the potholes are cut out and I have lots of material to shape my road.
Big loads of dirt? Guess it would depend on what you mean and how you are leveling/moving it. I've really never had any problem with them being in the way when ditching. Sometimes material if damp would gather up around them, but as soon I lightened up on the cut it would roll off.
I've done plenty of high bank cutting and always swing my moldboard up and around to change blades. No problem:beatsme
Everyone has their preferences and for what you do with a grader the front scarfiers would be perfect, but for what I do or should say used to do, the other type worked better.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
I like the behind the front wheel scarfiers as it is easier to control depth as you can see what they are doing. One thing I used them for was ripping up road bed surfaces consisting of old asphalt etc. The disadvantage of the front mounted ones for this task is that they are hard to see, and as the asphalt chunks roll off the front wheels would ride up on the material. I've used this type before as previously stated. As a matter of fact it was on a John Deere.
I also use the scarfiers when preparing a road for chipseal. This means giving the whole road a light ripping from side to side so that the potholes are cut out and I have lots of material to shape my road.
Big loads of dirt? Guess it would depend on what you mean and how you are leveling/moving it. I've really never had any problem with them being in the way when ditching. Sometimes material if damp would gather up around them, but as soon I lightened up on the cut it would roll off.
I've done plenty of high bank cutting and always swing my moldboard up and around to change blades. No problem:beatsme
Everyone has their preferences and for what you do with a grader the front scarfiers would be perfect, but for what I do or should say used to do, the other type worked better.

Yep, I totally understand. All of the things you like about the mid mounted scarifier is just what I expected. I think it would be easier to cut rip precisely.
As I stated by the question mark, I was unsure about them being in the way.
I'm not the type to say my way is the only way. I'm on here to learn and exchange ideas.
Kinda reminds me of one time years ago a guy asked me how I dig a ditch?? I just stood there stammering, what do you say to a question like that?? Finally I set some standards for what I call a ditch and then started trying to explain my procedures. After a minute I began to see that glazed over look in his eyes. He probably thought I was an idiot. But I'll bet if you look him up now and ask him the same question he would be just as perplexed about an answer..... Heheheheheh.
That's why I like forums. After you sort thru the BS, you get some good pointers. Mostly on things to NOT do. Heheheheh.

Grader4me

Kinda reminds me of one time years ago a guy asked me how I dig a ditch?? I just stood there stammering, what do you say to a question like that?? Finally I set some standards for what I call a ditch and then started trying to explain my procedures. After a minute I began to see that glazed over look in his eyes. He probably thought I was an idiot. But I'll bet if you look him up now and ask him the same question he would be just as perplexed about an answer..... Heheheheheh.
That's why I like forums. After you sort thru the BS, you get some good pointers. Mostly on things to NOT do. Heheheheh.

Yeah, I've seen that glazed over look many times myself. :) The main reason that I like this forum is that there is minimal BS, and you get good pointers from very knowledgeable operators. I learn something new every time that I visit. ;)

euclid

Occupation
Engineering
Had there been this type of forum around 25 years ago when I was operating equipment I could have learned heeps about techiques of different operators.
I operated a 12 series cat with pto actuated controls and I'm sure the newer rigs are so much more use friendly and touchy.

euclid

Occupation
Engineering
thank you, once I get my degree completed I'm going to look at getting a P/T job running equipment. I did operate a Komatsu loader a few years ago and I was blown away at the ergonomics in the cab. Everything was computer operated for max efficiency. Considering I hadn't ran a loader in 10 years I wasn't tired at the end of the day. Yes I know off topic but glad to be here.
:usa

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Had there been this type of forum around 25 years ago when I was operating equipment I could have learned heeps about techiques of different operators.
I operated a 12 series cat with pto actuated controls and I'm sure the newer rigs are so much more use friendly and touchy.

I started in an old 12 series too. The gear drive controls were so worn out the lift levers would ratchet in your hands if you tried to push down on the blade too hard. At the end of the day my palms hurt and my hips were killing me from standing all day. That was back when I was a young man, today I wouldn't last very long at all.

I've been running a grader for twenty years and still learn new techniques. A friend of mine is 80 and he is still learning after 40 years of being an operator. He's not the smoothest on a curve or at a bridge, but he's still a decent operator. I remember 15 years ago we had gotten a new Deere with the short cab. You couldn't stand up and run it. He had a fit!!!! No way in "H" you can run a grader sitting down!!! He was running a Champion then. Now he runs a 670CH Deere with short cab. I asked him after a big snow this winter if he still missed standing up. His face turned red and he said no way!!! Heheheheh. 80 years old and still learning!!!! :)

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Well, I must say that the moment I heard there was a new grader from JD, I had to check it out. I couldn't believe it, and even though i hadn't even seen it yet, I fell in love. I am hooked on the idea of the new control layout, not so much the electronics, but the 'G' series looks a whole lot better and more sophisticated than the 'D' series.

My million dollar question is if JD has released the 'G' series machines yet or not?

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Well, I must say that the moment I heard there was a new grader from JD, I had to check it out. I couldn't believe it, and even though i hadn't even seen it yet, I fell in love. I am hooked on the idea of the new control layout, not so much the electronics, but the 'G' series looks a whole lot better and more sophisticated than the 'D' series.

My million dollar question is if JD has released the 'G' series machines yet or not?

Yeah I'm interested in that as well. I'll bug our salesman again for an update.

As to the changes, I'm anxious about the controls. Gotta see it and run it first.

As for cosmetics. I'm disappointed in the high backbone design. Cat's M has that design and has horrible front visibility. The backbone change caused changes in the cab design that had negative impact for me. There's also no gain in blade movement by it. Not sure what it was about beyond just trying to create a new look.

But then, I thought the same thing about using dark grey paint. After running our D model at night pushing snow I wonder why they didn't do that earlier. Almost no glare off the dark paint versus yellow paint. Not positive that Deere was thinking about that but if they weren't they sure got lucky in their color choice. Leaving the moldboard yellow while under a grey table was another stroke of luck if not deliberately designed. The moldboard is very easy to see without being distracted by a bright colored table or cylinders. :)

J.BobbyM

Occupation
Construction Equipment Distribution

Conventional controls should start shipping late February, GradePro (electric/hyd) 1 mo later. Stay tuned.

G Model

Occupation
salesman
Conventional controls should start shipping late February, GradePro (electric/hyd) 1 mo later. Stay tuned.[/QUOTE

This is true. I have seen them up close and even ran one they are fine.

772G Grade Pro

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student

Well, they can't be too far from our greedy, itching hands if the JD websites is parading them around. I checked it today, and there, in their little clip on the construction home page was a thing on the new g series, and all their options. I can't wait to get them in SA! We have the Royal Agricultural Show coming up in 13 weeks time, and just like Bell used it 2 years ago to launch the j series TLBs, I have a feeling that they will again use it as their launch pad. And I am damn certain that it is going to be very popular. My next question is, when is the 1:50 one coming out?

G Model

Occupation
salesman
new Deere G series

As someone who has seem them up close and had the chance to run some of them I can say I am impressed. Also I have never seen a more excited group of guys as I have at Deere about this grader. I think they finally were able to do some of the things they have wanted to do for a long long time. This new series coupled with reservations some have and have shared about the M series it seems they are very confident they are on the right track.

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
It's like I said on another thread, the other manufacturers, like JD, and possibly Volvo, but not yet, are going to hold back, watching and tearing the M series' problems apart, until they have a machine that is as good as cat's but with fewer errors and probably of better quality. Cat had their grace time to get their kinks out the hoses, but they have let their M series edge slip to John Deere, meaning that they can fight back with a similar machine, probably favoured more because of it's options. I do commend cat for the M series, and the wave of fun we've all had on the forums, but the m series edge is slowly wanning. perhaps I am a bit biased, but hey, the proof is in the pudding.