• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

No one wants to work also They don’t want to pay

Zewnten

Operator was complaining that no one wants to work anymore and that’s why they can’t get anybody to run machines. Followed up by telling me he’s been at a multi million maybe billion dollar company for 15 years and makes $25/hr as a supervisor. Next experienced operator made $23.

Scrap place I worked at paid $24?/hr for a very high COL area and had the same issue. Wonder why.

AzIron

Operator was complaining that no one wants to work anymore and that’s why they can’t get anybody to run machines. Followed up by telling me he’s been at a multi million maybe billion dollar company for 15 years and makes $25/hr as a supervisor. Next experienced operator made $23.

Scrap place I worked at paid $24?/hr for a very high COL area and had the same issue. Wonder why.
I got shovel grunts that make almost 25 these days my top tier guys are in the mid thirties

Shimmy1

Followed up by telling me he’s been at a multi million maybe billion dollar company for 15 years and makes $25/hr as a supervisor.

Mebbee he's only worth $25 per hour, and management knows it? Some guys just can't put 2 and 2 together and realize that a little effort and less b!tching sometimes gets rewarded?

Just because it seems like everybody, everywhere is making $30+, doesn't automatically make YOU worth $30+.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Well people here complain about all the people from other countries taking all the jobs. Problem is that they will work. Peat moss companies, fish plants, a couple of the boat builders, all the minimum wage coffee shops, and places like McDonalds pay to bring them in and house them because no one wants to work. They don't miss their shifts, they are always on time, and they put their head down and work. One of the places I plow, a smaller contractor does the sidewalks, and they clean off and move the company cars. He was on his own Friday morning because his employees wouldn't answer their phones to come in. Most of our truck drivers are 60 plus, because they can't get younger people. They all want to get famous on youtube and make money with videos. My favorite one was a 20 year old leaving early because the job was too boring. Oh and the ever popular Friday afternoon, do you need me to stay.

Entropy1

For 150 years an ounce of gold was worth 20 Dollars. Then in WWII it suddenly jumped to 30 dollars per ounce. How did that happen? We were funding a World War with deficit spending. We printed enough money to cause 50% inflation (as measured against an ounce of gold).

Today an ounce of gold is worth 2000 dollars. This means that in just over 80 years we've printed so much money that the US dollar has lost 100 times its value. For every one tax dollar that was spent in 2023, an additional 38 cents were created & spent out of thin air.

Another interesting tid bit - gold mines remain in operation world-wide. The global supply of gold is always increasing, which means the value of gold should be always decreasing - but it's not.

There's a reason the rich are buying up all the land.

Zewnten

Mebbee he's only worth $25 per hour, and management knows it? Some guys just can't put 2 and 2 together and realize that a little effort and less b!tching sometimes gets rewarded?

Just because it seems like everybody, everywhere is making $30+, doesn't automatically make YOU worth $30+.
When McDonald’s starting wages are only a couple bucks less, your wages are low. Doesn’t matter what the company “thinks the guy is worth” if he can get a job paying 50% more by changing jobs why would he stick around?

And you missed my point. I wasn’t talking about his value, I was referencing his own contradiction of: “no one wants to work here” and “I’m not paid enough”

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

Since you list Earth as your location, where are you located? Cost of living varies tremendously across the country, continent and planet.

Everything is relative.

Zewnten

Since you list Earth as your location, where are you located? Cost of living varies tremendously across the country, continent and planet.

Everything is relative.
Eastern Kansas now but before was front range in Colorado.Kansas is lower cost of living than Colorado but I’m just comparing jobs in the same market. Union operator is listed as starting at $30/hr, a guy starts with a low paying position with high turn over. Easy to get in with minimal experience and then he jumps to something better but the original company can’t figure out why no one sticks around. (If you already knew what I meant I apologize for the redundancy.)

Shimmy1

When McDonald’s starting wages are only a couple bucks less, your wages are low.

I'm not sure why I'm debating this subject, but comparing McDonald's wages to legitimate, skilled trade wages is an unfair comparison due to the current situation in the national workforce.

These fast food service jobs always were, and should still be considered entry-level, unskilled, low wage jobs. Due to good times and sh!tty parenting for way too long, the pool of potential workers for these places has been reduced to adults who should be working jobs that traditionally paid higher, living wages. But, with the younger generation refusing to, or not being required to work at all, in order to have employees, these places have been forced to pay double what they should be paying to keep the doors open.

And now, because of this, I as an employer should be forced to base my wages against McDonald's?

Zewnten

This was a machine that I came to 10 minutes after the lube man (That gets compensated very well) just serviced!View attachment 303291View attachment 303292View attachment 303293
Compensated very well how? By whose standards? Legitimately want to know, I’ve seen some places that pay very well but can’t find good help, usually they’ve got a bad habit of hanging onto poor employees for too long. Sometimes it’s a place that realizes they’re way behind and jumps up the pay scale but they’re still behind or have a bad culture from the people that were willing to work for the low pay.

Shimmy1

Compensated very well how? By whose standards? Legitimately want to know, I’ve seen some places that pay very well but can’t find good help, usually they’ve got a bad habit of hanging onto poor employees for too long. Sometimes it’s a place that realizes they’re way behind and jumps up the pay scale but they’re still behind or have a bad culture from the people that were willing to work for the low pay.

What do you do, or what role do you play in a business to make you the authority on what constitutes a proper wage?

Zewnten

I'm not sure why I'm debating this subject, but comparing McDonald's wages to legitimate, skilled trade wages is an unfair comparison due to the current situation in the national workforce.

These fast food service jobs always were, and should still be considered entry-level, unskilled, low wage jobs. Due to good times and sh!tty parenting for way too long, the pool of potential workers for these places has been reduced to adults who should be working jobs that traditionally paid higher, living wages. But, with the younger generation refusing to, or not being required to work at all, in order to have employees, these places have been forced to pay double what they should be paying to keep the doors open.

And now, because of this, I as an employer should be forced to base my wages against McDonald's?
The world is what is yelling at people to get off your lawn because you don’t like it won’t change the economy. People are the way they’ve always been. The generations before you said the same things about your generation.

So yea if you want good help you have to pay for it. Always has been always will be. If the only way for a business to be profitable is by paying people as little as possible because they’re other choice is starving, how does that make sense for anyone but the business owner?

My work jumped their pay probably 25%? higher than everyone around and now they have the cream of the crop to choose from. Now they’re more profitable than ever because good happy employees make more money.

Zewnten

What do you do, or what role do you play in a business to make you the authority on what constitutes a proper wage?
Well let’s look at your posts here looking for employees? As someone who has been an employee what were you offering that made you a better choice than any other job in the area? Based off your own response to your post, nothing.

As a person who’s hired and fired employees I know I want people that value themselves and I get their input on what they want for a wage, compare it to similar positions including benefits and such. Then I let them prove if they can back up their determined self-worth.

Everyone has the God given ability to decide what they’re worth in this country. Someone else deciding that or complaining about it gets too close to ending statements in “comrade” for me.

Zewnten

Making Union master agreement HDR scale
Not sure what HDR is? Is this one of those infamous guy can never be reprimanded or reassigned union positions? I can see a bad apple getting in there and making a mess out of it. Does that mean he is worth the wage based on his skill sets? Probably not but what is the position worth for someone that can actually do it?

Shimmy1

Everyone has the God given ability to decide what they’re worth in this country. Someone else deciding that or complaining about it gets too close to ending statements in “comrade” for me.

Well, you are the one that started this thread stating your opinion that too cheap of wages are the reason employers can't keep or find help, so.....

Well let’s look at your posts here looking for employees? As someone who has been an employee what were you offering that made you a better choice than any other job in the area? Based off your own response to your post, nothing.

What response are you referring to?

Zewnten

Well, you are the one that started this thread stating your opinion that too cheap of wages are the reason employers can't keep or find help, so.....

What response are you referring to?
My first post was about a manager complaining no wants to work and without even taking a breath complaining they don’t make enough. I thought the irony of it was hilarious, perfect example of typical management. If they felt that way about their position I’d bet all the people that moved on from the company did too. But in their head their situation was different rather than empathizing with others it’s easier to label and dismiss them.

AzIron

To the point that if entry level jobs are paying 5 to 8 bucks an hour less than a high skilled job the skill is not valued well now if we are comparing entry level construction labor to McDonalds and there is at least a 5 buck gap then the outfit is putting a reasonable value on developing a skill.

If you have been at it 20 years and only make 10 bucks more than McDonald's you either need a new company to work for or you suck a lot

Maybe it's true people don't want to work but I think it's only to a point there is such opportunity in any industry right now that rivals construction with equal pay and less physical demand or in the tech world pays 40 to 50 percent more than construction does with less physical demand

This means the youg guys we get to chose from are the ones that feel through the cracks or refused to go into the military or can't pass a drug test because the good ones that the industry relied on the way it was 30 years ago those type have better options right now

And the older guys that need a job are not high performance any one with experience is employed for good money and if there not they quietly find a job and jump for a better outfit or more money

And if a lube guy worked for me and was payed scale and left that he would either fix it on his own time or need a new job either way he is not worth his scale