• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
The loader operator at this pit is very generous. I bet he called that 2 yards

View attachment 298825
Back in about 1970, my dad had an old F-150 (with the gas tank behind the seat)
and we went to the local gravel pit for some driveway gravel.....same kind of place, toss some cash,
no scale, and take the longer winding road back out of the pit.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
The brother and I moved a complete ripper assembly for our Allis-Chalmers HD11 tractor in the back of an EH Holden utility (pickup).

The EH Holden utility was rated to carry 1120lbs (half a U.K. ton or 508kgs), and we estimated the ripper assembly weighed around 3,500lbs (1588kgs) at least.

We pumped the back tyres (6.40x13's) up to 75psi and never went over 30mph (50kmh), because the steering was so light, you started to lose control over 30mph, due to a "tail-wag" starting.

We only had to move the ripper a few miles, on a low-traffic rural road, and that was probably a good thing!

Here's a fully restored EH Holden utility that is identical to the one we owned. But our EH had the "big" 179 (cu in) motor, so we had the 115HP powerhouse! :)

Old Doug

I hauled this yesterday . I was right at 14 tall that bothered me but i made it ok. If i keep using this truck i need to rig up some D rings or something on the bed or inside the side boards.

Attachments

• IMG_20231121_063450.jpg
    IMG_20231121_063450.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 47

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Nige - Ha ha! My brother loaded a full set of D6C track rollers into the boot of his HG Holden sedan - whereby the rear subframes promptly sat on the rubber bump stops on the rear axle.

Then he drove 600+ kms to the city, to get the track rollers reconditioned - at highway speeds, over some pretty ordinary roads - and the constant bouncing of the rear subframes on the Holden axle bump stops, was enough to make the subframes sag pretty badly!

He was totally unaware of what was happening, until the outer body panel arches over the rear wheels, developed mysterious "crinkles" in them!

What had happened was, the subframes sagged so much, the wheel arch panels had no choice but to buckle!!

He got a body repair shop to straighten out the "crinkles", and then traded the car in!! He never even tried to straighten the subframes!

This is an exact example of the HG Holden he wrecked!

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
It really is quite amazing what you can fit into a little Japanese-origin hatchback. I've got a 1.5L 1981 Ford Laser (Mazda 323) 5 dr hatchback that I used for years as a runabout.
When the back seats are folded down, it has nearly as much cargo room as a small van. And it just sips the fuel.

Unfortunately, it stopped when an alloy manufacturing plug in the head rotted out and it dumped all the coolant in the oil.
I fixed the plug, then the fuel system started to play up, so I parked it up, and it hasn't run for quite a while. I really need to get it running again in this era of dreadful fuel prices, it would go for a fortnight on $20 worth of fuel.