• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

skyking1

@Birken Vogt I was in your neighborhood in March of 2018 when the roads washed out from the fire scars and heavy rain. We were in Mariposa with the hopes of visiting Yosemite, and woke up to epic rains. I looked at the weather and we ran NW up 49.
I think the road washed out bad north of Bear Valley in that steep canyon. The DOT trucks were up and down that canyon pushing off rocks and we just got through. We had the Ram and 5th wheel. We kept on 49 all the way to Auburn.
It is beautiful for sure.

skyking1

IIRC a 710 weighs 26,000, it wouldn't matter if it was a new truck, drum or disk not buying that
one.
it's the air brakes. Nobody wants to deal with that, but that is how it works.
That 5500 or whatever weighs as much or more than a day cab single axle tractor, but the tractor and a two axle lowboy can drive 15 ton dozers and excavators all over, and safely.
Something like this Freightliner day cab.
https://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2016-FREIGHTLINER-BUSINESS+CLASS+M2+112-5027260407
64bac8548085677bc9343c3e.jpg

Truck Shop

Lets call it a end run-dodging laws, rules, paperwork. When I worked Ag I converted the company from
super duty ford 350's to FL70's for service trucks/towing huge cultivators & sprayers. The 350's were
constantly needing brakes and clutches, most were on the second 7.3 and 5 speed. That company is
still running those FL70's with 8.3's 9spds and air brakes, most all made 10 years before needing a
clutch or brakes. It was cost effective and safer.

Tyler d4c

That 5500 or whatever weighs as much or more than a day cab single axle tractor, but the tractor and a two axle lowboy can drive 15 ton dozers and excavators all over, and safely.
Something like this Freightliner day cab.
https://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2016-FREIGHTLINER-BUSINESS+CLASS+M2+112-5027260407
64bac8548085677bc9343c3e.jpg
Whats more to deal with with air brakes besides they work better are cheaper to replace and actually do a good job or stopping things

skyking1

Guy down the road here has a SA Freightliner DD11 and a OLD Tandem ramp load drop deck equipment trailer for sale, $20K, far better choice than any of the above up to a 550.
except you probably can't run it in California. That is what prompted me to use that 2016 DD13 for an example. That is the problem that @Birken Vogt was pointing out, keeping a rig and all the emissions running in their location.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
True in several states, not here. Truck is still very serviceable trailer needs suspension work and lighting but solid(I looked), a Landscaper would have little issue with that machine for YEARS. Has all new brakes, does have the old 6 lug 3spoke dayton 16" rears, single spring rolling arch suspension. Bushings could be rough to locate. FL120 Day Cab, IIRC 1999 so is 25 soon but on 22.5 PH Wheels and single bag air ride.

MG84

Unfortunately I think the only way we are going to see regulation of the tow ratings on these new pickups is a horrific high profile accident. Think Jayne Mansfield and the ICC bar...

cfherrman

That little 3208 was probably supposed to rev to 2800 but that tach said 3200, probably was wrong, but did take getting used to seeing that. Good thing it was like 10 miles on back roads for a couple days. When we did a longer haul we didn't load it that much, kept it legal......ish.

The newer isx and others I drove have vgt braking as well, they do very well when programmed to act like a Jake and not with a delay.

skyking1

Wrong way Jones
This one did not get down to you Mike. RSH too big too full too fast. Speed on the ice, not good!
6563aa8d7c8a6.image.png

"
KENNEWICK, Wash. - A driver and three passengers suffered minor injuries in a single-vehicle rollover crash on Saturday, Nov. 25.

According to a post on Facebook, Benton County Fire District 1, along with the Benton County Sheriff's Office and Washington State Patrol, responded to the crash at around 3:30 pm Saturday afternoon on I-82 near exit 117, just south of Bateman Rd. The occupants of the vehicle were checked out by medics, while crews helped to remove several cats and dogs from the vehicle. Hydraulic cutting equipment was also utilized to separate the vehicle from a trailer it was towing.
Speed was reported as a contributing factor in the crash.
Drivers are reminded that if they are towing trailers, they should always follow the posted truck speed limit, and to stay in the right lane unless passing another vehicle. ""

https://www.nbcrightnow.com/news/mi...cle_a0bc39b8-8c98-11ee-9b49-9bb7a6c1fcde.html

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I was just through there a couple months ago on vacation, the sustained wind through there was incredible on the way back. Thought it might blow me right off the bridge south of there. Also constantly fighting it all the way down the gorge toward Mt. Hood.