• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

Truck Shop

Again it's simple-26,001 you need the big license. Now if you have equipment to move in a
gross weight range of 40,000 there is not really any benefit to owning a over priced quad
cab 450 and up. You can find a single or tandem axle and a decent short lowboy with 20'
foot well for less than a over the top 450,550, and Goose neck. Or a tandem dump with
a tree axle trailer. Then truthfully all that is needed is a 250 pickup to run around and conduct
business.
Most is grandiose thinking.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Was my thinking as to the KW for a RSH hauler. Look at that wreck, key example, trailer had weight over and took control over that expedition, same with most Pickups, Trailer and Load overload truck base weight, brakes, drive train and tires with manufacturers Okie Dokie to do so on a name/gcwr tag. A RSH behind Big Blue will get roughly same Fuel Economy as a Overpowered under performing F350-F550. Looks Nicer in Smaller Truck, ride is somewhat easier, easier to transition In and Out, and Little Woman can drive it to the store but fine line at the bottom is the Truck is outclassed by one really designed to do what is being requested.

I am aware on Ice a trailer can and will get sideways at the first sneeze, at least with a heavier chassis weight control can be recovered.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
If you don't have a hitch how can you have a gcwr
Here you get class B for truck only. Show up for test with no trailer, you get class B.

My son got just under the wire requiring formal school to test. He arrived with my truck equipped with Allison transmission. He towed a two axle deck over I owned at the time rated 10,000 LBS. He was denied trailer endorsement because he towed a trailer not over 10,000 LBS.

His successful test got him a Class B & an exemption from the new law requiring school.
He made a new appointment & tested three weeks later with the other trailer rated heavier, but exactly the same dimensions.

Some time later he borrowed a tandem dump truck with manual transmission to get the Automatic transmission limitation lifted.

A friend has a class B license, He refuses to upgrade to class A or worse Class A with fifth wheel endorsement. As is he works 14 hour days on a paving crew. If he could also transport equipment he'd be working 7 days.

Last edited:

cfherrman

I'm talking about driving one with a lower tag.

It's very different in every state, very common to have a 550 tagged at 24k in Kansas, also in Kansas you only need to tag for the weight on the truck so if you hook a big trailer on it your tag is still fine.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Was my thinking as to the KW for a RSH hauler. Look at that wreck, key example, trailer had weight over and took control over that expedition, same with most Pickups, Trailer and Load overload truck base weight, brakes, drive train and tires with manufacturers Okie Dokie to do so on a name/gcwr tag. A RSH behind Big Blue will get roughly same Fuel Economy as a Overpowered under performing F350-F550. Looks Nicer in Smaller Truck, ride is somewhat easier, easier to transition In and Out, and Little Woman can drive it to the store but fine line at the bottom is the Truck is outclassed by one really designed to do what is being requested.

I am aware on Ice a trailer can and will get sideways at the first sneeze, at least with a heavier chassis weight control can be recovered.
My first camper was 6000 LB GTW, My tow vehicle was a GMC Savana van 8600 LB GVW. Salesman assured me I had a vehicle PLENTY heavy enough, no specialized trailer equipment was needed.
Made a few local trips, secondary highways, no trouble.
We headed off to Maine, a 1000 mile round trip. How I didn't wreck first 200 miles I don't know! It'd suddenly go into fish tailing I could only stop with trailer brakes.
I stopped at a ranch style house, two car garage with a sign "trailer hitches" I bought a friction sway control, making my trip a pleasure.
Campers move a lot of air. Trailer weight is not your only concern.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
My first camper was 6000 LB GTW, My tow vehicle was a GMC Savana van 8600 LB GVW. Salesman assured me I had a vehicle PLENTY heavy enough, no specialized trailer equipment was needed.
Made a few local trips, secondary highways, no trouble.
We headed off to Maine, a 1000 mile round trip. How I didn't wreck first 200 miles I don't know! It'd suddenly go into fish tailing I could only stop with trailer brakes.
That's funny, that's about the exact combo I was driving in the reference above all day with the rented trailer thru the Washington winds. I did not have any sway or eq on the rig and it felt nothing but steady all the way. Slow up hill and slow to drag the barn door through the wind were about all the problems it had.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
This was just posted in the Seattle Times:

If you’re picking someone up from the airport tonight, good luck.

A semi truck drove onto the arrivals lane at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport Monday evening, causing the drive to shut down.

Turns out, a truck that size can’t fit under the airport’s skybridges.

About 8:30 p.m., traffic was backed up all the way from the arrivals drive, through Highway 518, to Interstate 5, according to Seattle DOT traffic cameras.

The airport was getting the truck backed out to reopen the drive, Sea-Tac posted on the social media platform X.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer

A semi truck drove onto the arrivals lane at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport Monday evening, causing the drive to shut down.

About 8:30 p.m., traffic was backed up all the way from the arrivals drive, through Highway 518, to Interstate 5, according to Seattle DOT traffic cameras.

The airport was getting the truck backed out to reopen the drive, Sea-Tac posted on the social media platform X.
Only takes ONE moron for a entire area to consider ALL truckers morons.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
CFH, does not matter what you license the machine as to weight, EVER. If it has that GCWR Tag and so much as a Bumper with positions for a Hitch Ball it is qualified. As with the KW I have, is only Licensed PRIVATE Vehicle at 48K, it is Still a Semi, could have licensed as a RV had I changed a few items and it is STILL a Air Brake Class 8 except as a RV ANYONE can be behind the wheel. Could have put 24K license on it as only weights 20, HOWEVER it does have a GCWR tag that leaves it as a Class 8 and has a Fifth Wheel with potential to use.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned

Ah that's funny, one little hiccup and it all falls apart with no contingency plan in place. Few road blocks in Seattle and it will start a ripple effect across the country within days along with many other cities near ports and such.

Old Doug

The truck i have now was kind of a want or dream. Before i got it i kept finding trailers that would need a truck to pull and i need a bigger trailer but after i got it the trailers got high and harder to find. I havnt used it alot even though its the only thing i have to pull a gooseneck. I can see why guys try to pull every thing with there pickups but i dont agree with them . No more than i have used my truck the last few years it hasnt been a cheap to use deal. It cost around $2.00 a mile or more. If i ever find a trailer and start using it more that will be great but write now i wonder if i wouldnt be better off with a 1 ton.

Truck Shop

Ah that's funny, one little hiccup and it all falls apart with no contingency plan in place.
Friend that owns machine shop--Years ago when he and his dad had business building pea & bean
harvesters under their name {Pic-Ryte} shipped allot of harvesters to the east coast. Three harvesters
going to Rhode Island/Delaware area--two had to return to Walla Walla for repairs. Two trucks one
following the other believe it or not hit a low bridge taking the top off one after another. Funny thing
is they made the best money off these two harvesters.

cw4Bray

I What could go wrong? Like the Shorts Skyvan that went straight up then straight down at Bethel Alaska when the barrels rolled back and took it way out of C.G.

I saw that happen. I said to myself, it doesn't matter if it burns - he hit the ground so hard, no way could he have survived. Then it did explode 30 seconds later. So sad, he was just married with a young child, if I remember correctly.

skyking1

I What could go wrong? Like the Shorts Skyvan that went straight up then straight down at Bethel Alaska when the barrels rolled back and took it way out of C.G.

I saw that happen. I said to myself, it doesn't matter if it burns - he hit the ground so hard, no way could he have survived. Then it did explode 30 seconds later. So sad, he was just married with a young child, if I remember correctly.
Wow I remember that crash. I was out there right around the same year. I'd have to go check the logbook.

cw4Bray

I looked up when I heard the Garrett/honeywells 331's screaming. I said to myself what's he doing ? at 100' AGL right over the numbers. He's got 5000' in front of him, plenty of room and no need for a go-around. In a level attitude with the yoke all the way forward, it looked an unusual attitude. After impact that Shorts couldn't have been more than three feet tall. He took out the laser-beam ceilometer which created months of work for me in the FSS.

cw4Bray

Ha Ha Ha... Sky you know better than that. Those aren't headlights they're aircraft landing lights.

cw4Bray

A modern steel grain bin would provide way more storage volume compared to that house at far less cost than moving all that rotting wood.