• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

cw4Bray

I feel for the driver who doesn't have a clue how heavy he is, when he leaves the field until he's stopped or goes over the scale. prestige-trailers-Tri-Axle-scenic-1536x1024.jpg

If the person loading you doesn't know what he's doing, you could exceed the scale capacity causing load cell damage by overloading the capacity of the scale.
Scales are rated based on what their load cells can bear and going over that limit can result in severe deformation of the load cell itself. This could result in anything from making it less accurate to making it unusable altogether.
Maybe we need more crazy overweight trucks to damage scales enough to permanently close all scales ?

Truck Shop

Most all the scales at grain terminals around here have a 135,000 limit.
If the person loading you doesn't know what he's doing, you could exceed the scale capacity causing load cell damage by overloading the capacity of the scale.
You be very hard pressed to to get 130K on a 40-20 A train or B train. Most all learn real fast
operating the bank-out wagon fill till just under tarp hoop directly over hoppers will be close
to axle weights. At 105,500 there are some cross at 112,000 but they know their heavy, and
allot of grain wagons around here are equipped with scales. Every refer unit my old employer
had were three axle 53' plus scales, because the trailers are normally pre-loaded.
And that trailer above looks to have a scale box just in-front of left front axle.

Truck Shop

Oh almost forgot, yesterday was a interesting day. The CDL examiner for DOL was there
setting up cones for testing three new ones. I was headed to the office-noticed these two
older guys observing from the sideline. Nosey me I walked over and found out they were
from {FMCSA] Seattle & Denver, rare to see or meet one of these people. Were there
checking CDL testing procedure for the east side of the state. So I took the chance to bend
their ears a little, my main question was about GVW & GCWR on the 450, 550 and trailers
being manufactured, farm license tabs and so on.
I don't remember all that was said--------------but I walked away with a grin, damn I'm glad
I'm old.;):)

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
We don't have to much DOT scale activity up around me, and what there is I carefully avoid, but I have wondered how it would really work out. I usually end up hauling off jobs into pits to dump, or hauling out of small pits with no scales. Today I was hauling out an old foundation on a demo job I am wrapping up. No scales in my excavator, I don't think truck scales existed in '92, and the truck is on Hendricksons, so no air pressure to watch. How is one supposed to reasonably keep track of axle weights?

Truck Shop

How is one supposed to reasonably keep track of axle weights?
Become a bean counter, I have seen where air bags added to steer on truck with Hendrickson
to get steer weight which would give an approximate on drives. I just got pretty good at guessing
on ones I drove. Loading produce in refer, figure how many on pallet/average weight & whether
pallets are hard wood or not or wet or not. On a 48' 22 boards one singled front and rear, depending
on what load is 21 boards. In the old days you got figure the Ice Too-Corn on the cob was iced.
I carried a calculator when I was on the dock. Some docks had scale on a table so grab one and
weigh it. And figure in how much fuel you got on.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I don't think truck scales existed in '92, and the truck is on Hendricksons, so no air pressure to watch
My dad was installing scales on trucks in the late 60s/early 70s. They would have had steel suspension then for sure. He once tried explaining to me what they were but my eyes glazed over. I think they were log trucks and I think they were some sort of fluid filled load cells that went under the bunks. I'll see if he remembers one day.

Truck Shop

My dad was installing scales on trucks in the late 60s/early 70s. They would have had steel suspension then for sure. He once tried explaining to me what they were but my eyes glazed over. I think they were log trucks and I think they were some sort of fluid filled load cells that went under the bunks. I'll see if he remembers one day.
Correct-on loggers-those were fitted to the bunks.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Here is easy enough as Bushel Counters on Combines made close guesswork easy. Dependent of moisture general rule was 60lb/bushel, corn varied more than wheat or beans. Average Tub trailer here can Pack close to 850b beans or corn, wheat gets hard to close the tarps as fluffs so badly. Hopper Bottom have seen 920b as they entered the barge loading areas. but were pretty tight loaded. Dumped wheat where Mids come back out of the mill, hopper bottoms would load until flowed over and MAYBE would hit 81k, I could not get to 78k with that messy crap flowing off the sides.

Truck Shop

Not many load heavy when hauling from field these days, took years for John Barley Corn
to figure out overloading doesn't help expenses on equipment. But that's a good reason
for the 10% overload to be cut back to about 2%.

terex herder

Bushel counter on combine is near useless to load trucks most instances. Scales on grain carts are pretty accurate, but often can't take overly long to fill truck or combine will be waiting. Modern cart can drop 1000 bu in 1 minute, so material is moving pretty fast. Corn is 56#/bushel, wheat and soybeans 60#/bu as standard. Actual density changes. Beans are often lighter than standard, while corn often heavier. A 43' low side hopper can usually hold about 1150 bushel of corn or 1050 bu of soybeans. Both would be over axle weights, so load with discretion. The guys with high sided trailers to haul light loads like wheat mids or sunflowers can get heavy really fast. Properly loaded, the cart operator can't even see the pile in front, and barely the pile in back.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Trucks I drove locally had air ride pressure indicators, knew truck weight empty so easy to load legal. Simplest form of doing it right.

Truck Shop

Bushel counter on combine is near useless to load trucks most instances. Scales on grain carts are pretty accurate, but often can't take overly long to fill truck or combine will be waiting. Modern cart can drop 1000 bu in 1 minute, so material is moving pretty fast. Corn is 56#/bushel, wheat and soybeans 60#/bu as standard. Actual density changes. Beans are often lighter than standard, while corn often heavier. A 43' low side hopper can usually hold about 1150 bushel of corn or 1050 bu of soybeans. Both would be over axle weights, so load with discretion. The guys with high sided trailers to haul light loads like wheat mids or sunflowers can get heavy really fast. Properly loaded, the cart operator can't even see the pile in front, and barely the pile in back.
That's when the lazy ass driver climbs the trailer in the cloud of chaff to motion when enough
is enough. 24 years ago when I worked for Ag company I had four grain A train grain sets hauling
out of fields. One of the drivers needed a day off for dental issues, so I drove that day. The
four drivers had a pool going $2 buck pot a day for the one who hit a perfect 105,500.
My first load 105,520, second load 105,480, third load 105,500. I pissed them off, but left their
money. That includes calculating fuel burned as day wears on, just have to get out and take
a look.

Truck Shop

Even this last summer when I hauled I had three different trucks to drive-two 40's and a
truck trailer. Most loads bounced between 79 & 80K for 30 days with no scales had several
right on 80K. Just isn't that hard.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned

cw4Bray

TH: "Properly loaded, the cart operator can't even see the pile in front, and barely the pile in back."
TS: "That's when the lazy ass driver climbs the trailer in the cloud of chaff to motion when enough
is enough."

$150. Backup camera mounted in hopper.
https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Wir...9&psc=1&mcid=04b27ce02c1f330a9bb666e16dda3602
Mount one in each hopper, sit in the cab, and don't get run over by the cart.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

TH: "Properly loaded, the cart operator can't even see the pile in front, and barely the pile in back."
TS: "That's when the lazy ass driver climbs the trailer in the cloud of chaff to motion when enough
is enough."

$150. Backup camera mounted in hopper.
https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Wir...9&psc=1&mcid=04b27ce02c1f330a9bb666e16dda3602
Mount one in each hopper, sit in the cab, and don't get run over by the cart.
That's a nice idea--but the world has enough fat ass truck drivers, need to get out of the cab
stir the Pharts and shake them down their pants leg and watch the loading, they just might
see something wrong with the equipment their driving too.