• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

crane operator

Wrong way Jones
This one did not get down to you Mike. RSH too big too full too fast. Speed on the ice, not good!
6563aa8d7c8a6.image.png

"
KENNEWICK, Wash. - A driver and three passengers suffered minor injuries in a single-vehicle rollover crash on Saturday, Nov. 25.

According to a post on Facebook, Benton County Fire District 1, along with the Benton County Sheriff's Office and Washington State Patrol, responded to the crash at around 3:30 pm Saturday afternoon on I-82 near exit 117, just south of Bateman Rd. The occupants of the vehicle were checked out by medics, while crews helped to remove several cats and dogs from the vehicle. Hydraulic cutting equipment was also utilized to separate the vehicle from a trailer it was towing.
Speed was reported as a contributing factor in the crash.
Drivers are reminded that if they are towing trailers, they should always follow the posted truck speed limit, and to stay in the right lane unless passing another vehicle. ""

https://www.nbcrightnow.com/news/mi...cle_a0bc39b8-8c98-11ee-9b49-9bb7a6c1fcde.html

I was trying to figure out where all the trash came flying from (no obvious blown out windshield or doors), then I put together the idea of the totes and the roof rack, and it all became more clear.

Testament to the truck, that they only had minor injuries. Bet that expedition was wollering around like a pig, between passengers, roof totes and the camper. Throw in a little wind and trying to get home from a thanksgiving visit to grandma's, and that's a recipe for disaster.

skyking1

I was just through there a couple months ago on vacation, the sustained wind through there was incredible on the way back. Thought it might blow me right off the bridge south of there. Also constantly fighting it all the way down the gorge toward Mt. Hood.
It's a thing. I have to brag on my combo. I have been through there many times and it tracks like a boss. I have to sit back and wait for the empty can haulers to settle down if I want to pass them. They get their asses handed to them on I-84.
I would not want a pull trailer on there on a bad day.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
In fact it was solid heavy headwind wind all the day from Spokane to Hood River. Picked the wrong day to be driving I guess. Blew the rain cap right off the trailer refrigerator, it was sun rotted already. (Rented trailer.) All I could do to keep above 50 and not have it downshifting into 2nd gear trying to keep up.

Truck Shop

In fact it was solid heavy headwind wind all the day from Spokane to Hood River. Picked the wrong day to be driving I guess. Blew the rain cap right off the trailer refrigerator, it was sun rotted already. (Rented trailer.) All I could do to keep above 50 and not have it downshifting into 2nd gear trying to keep up.
I-90 from Fishtrap, Tokyo, Ritzville, then 395 to TriCities, I-82 to Umatilla, I-84 to Biggs Junction.
When the wind kicks up on the east side it can be fierce, the gorge I-84 when white caps on the
Columbia River are 4' rollers, it's foot to the wood.
What's fun is driving that when it's freezing rain and the rain is coming down sideways. I have
driven that when it's as slick as a cats ass, look in your right mirror trailer is on the fog line and
steer is about 8" off the centerline.
Twelve plus years ago we had 100 plus winds here in Walla Walla. One of our trucks {One of my
favorites a 2001 W900 standard hood} just crested the Milton Hill south of Milton Freewater on
hyw 11. Rudy the driver said to me { It was a big ass gust it rocked her pretty hard, lifted the trailer
tires then another hit me and I knew she was going over, so I kicked it in neutral turned her off steered
to the wheat field and was hanging by my seat belt}.
Rudy is all German and when he talks he sounds just like The Terminator, so read that with that
voice in mind.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
CDL requirements are the greater of GVW or actual weight. Changed from original wording a few years ago.
VT is confusing. A combined weight rating over 26000, or trailer over 10000. Later, they make the exception that combined weight rating must be over 26000 to require CDL. I can't figure out the mention at all of a 10000 LB rated trailer.

Air brake endorsement is required for all class A CDL if using air brakes. My old truck had air brakes, but was 25990 LB GVWR. I once called DMV, they weren't able to answer that question.

Truck Shop

Air brake endorsement is required for all class A CDL if using air brakes.
It's pretty easy actually--Says right on license -Class A , any CMV tractor/trailer combination
where GCWR is 26,001 lbs or more. Air brake endorsement is already part of a Class A license.
There is absolutely nothing stamped or printed on the back of my license noting a Air Brake
endorsement with my Class A-it's all ready part of a class A.

Tyler d4c

It's pretty easy actually--Says right on license -Class A , any CMV tractor/trailer combination
where GCWR is 26,001 lbs or more. Air brake endorsement is already part of a Class A license.
There is absolutely nothing stamped or printed on the back of my license noting a Air Brake
endorsement with my Class A-it's all ready part of a class A.
Here if you test with out air breaks you get a restriction same as if you need glasses to see where your headed

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
DOT states GCWR Gross Combination Weight Rating, has Nothing to do with License weight, is the Ratings Tag on the Door frame and the Trailer. Truck chassis with 26001GCWR on the Door Tag CDL is required.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Got this from Fords Site

F450 starts at 28K GCWR, tops out at 35K
550 starts at 28K tops at 40K
600 starts at 30K maxes at 43K

250/350 SRW starts at 19500 tops at 26K, go up to a DRW 350 Diesel and can top out at 32,500

Is a Pick Your Poison kind of day with these. Hook on a Trailer of any kind to a 450, 550, 600, play the game take your chances.