• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

skyking1

there are two pieces of plywood under the cardboard, cut and notched around everything. That flimsy spare tire cover does not get it done, but I have a full size spare in there that takes the load and the plywood protects that flimsy thing.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
No heavier than shoving some lifeless arsehole in the trunk to be disposed of later. That car was meant for that job as others with a trunk ;)
Ya really think they design & test for hauling dead bodies, or is that an unauthorized use?

On that note I once saw a series of correspondence between a Nazi officer & an engineer at Mercedes. It was translated to English.
The Nazi wanted to cut the length of the death vans to reduce the volume of air inside. Mercedes worried it'd overload the front axle & suspension.
Nazi reassured that all the "cargo" is piled against the doors at the end of the "haul".
As It was they had to travel farther to be sure the people would be dead, wasting precious time & fuel.

MG84

This guy is a habitual overloader and has made an entire youtube channel out of it:

And then complains about how expensive it is to run these trucks. No $hit you’re running the highest cost per mile trucks on the road:

Why are guys like this obsessed with these pickup based trucks instead of getting a real truck?

Truck Shop

Why are guys like this obsessed with these pickup based trucks instead of getting a real truck?
It has to do in some cases of what is or is not hanging between their legs. MG if you look
at these three brands-all three are in a super competition to build the pickup with the biggest
nose-although quite deceiving at the same time. Ford, Dodge & Chevy know the generation/
age group wants a diesel pickup plus wants it to give the feeling when setting inside or looking
at it from a distance that it is a BIG TRUCK & CAN DO BIG TRUCK THINGS {even though it
really can't and the owner or money borrower that bought is up to his ass in ego and a tire
package, dressed in a safety yellow shirt with a stupid four day old beard and dumb looking hat
will argue with you how it has X amount of horse power & torque-which equals two words he
can't spell.
But the important part is all the 80 year old women they are impressing while driving down the street.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I have never quite gotten the deal with these guys and the pickups. I know some guys that are contractors, the extent they will go to try to turn pickups into semis is comical. Just get a Class A and a real truck and get on with it.

The paranoia of CDL's and DOT numbers . . .

cfherrman

That truck and trailer requires a class a CDL

The f450-f550 (and similar) are probably the least useless trucks you can find unless your going for a straight truck application

A medium duty will tow everything better, easier, and cheaper.

MG84

Yeah thats the thing, I think that guy has a class A CDL, DOT number, commercial insurance, etc but is still wasting his money on little piece of nothing trucks and gooseneck trailers. I can almost guarantee his overhead would go way down if he’d trade all that expensive crap for a good solid used single axle or short tandem semi tractor and a short single drop equipment trailer. Or even just a class 7 truck with a pintle hitch trailer, I know what that setup costs to run and it’s a fraction of what he’s spending.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
That guy lives just a few miles from me.

I think he at least understands the ratings on the things he is doing.

This being California, he is not allowed to have an old '94 FL with a Series 60 or something good, the dealers are all far away from here if he was to get a full size semi and it needed some silly computer thing done in Sacramento he might be out of commission for weeks. I think that might be some of the reasoning for what he is doing.

Another could be the extremely narrow roads and such, I have watched in the past what he does and I know those roads, I don't know of another place in the country quite as challenging as here for narrow roads.

Not saying it is right but I do not expect to find him upside down in a ditch like some of these cowboys.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Yes, that was just down the road from my house here. But that was an old 80s/early 90s F350 with an IDI diesel. Drum brakes on the rear axle and no engine braking to speak of.

That monstrosity was coming so slowly up the highway, that news was traveling faster than it was and a guy at the local logging co actually got a video as it passed by, he showed me.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
This crash? .... https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article61275927.html

The sentencing is pretty pathetic, IMO. Here, you'd get 5 or 6 years in jail at least, for manslaughter with an overloaded vehicle and trailer and with no commercial drivers licence.

MG84

That guy lives just a few miles from me.

I think he at least understands the ratings on the things he is doing.

This being California, he is not allowed to have an old '94 FL with a Series 60 or something good, the dealers are all far away from here if he was to get a full size semi and it needed some silly computer thing done in Sacramento he might be out of commission for weeks. I think that might be some of the reasoning for what he is doing.

Another could be the extremely narrow roads and such, I have watched in the past what he does and I know those roads, I don't know of another place in the country quite as challenging as here for narrow roads.

Not saying it is right but I do not expect to find him upside down in a ditch like some of these cowboys.
The problem is these auto mfgs are just pulling these tow ratings out of their a$$. At some point you just can’t escape physics. When he is grossing 45-50-55k with a dodge pickup and the trailer plug has a short, thats all she wrote. I live in a very mountainous area in Va and the roads are often extremely steep, winding, no shoulder, etc. In conditions like this (and I assume where you are) I want as much truck as possible and I’m not going to be maxing out the GCWR. My air brake F700 has a GCWR of 50k but I never go over 37k. On these roads 45k in a dodge sounds terrifying to me. FWIW I bet he could have bought a new or almost new F750 for what he paid for that dodge.

Tyler d4c

The problem is these auto mfgs are just pulling these tow ratings out of their a$$. At some point you just can’t escape physics. When he is grossing 45-50-55k with a dodge pickup and the trailer plug has a short, thats all she wrote. I live in a very mountainous area in Va and the roads are often extremely steep, winding, no shoulder, etc. In conditions like this (and I assume where you are) I want as much truck as possible and I’m not going to be maxing out the GCWR. My air brake F700 has a GCWR of 50k but I never go over 37k. On these roads 45k in a dodge sounds terrifying to me. FWIW I bet he could have bought a new or almost new F750 for what he paid for that dododge.
You hit the nail on the head better too much truck then not enough.