• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

Krackerjack9

Occupation
working in Iraq right now
just need to get a sandblaster out and clean it up and then shoot some new yellow paint on it, find someone to make some komatsu decals and it will be good as new still waiting on a replay about my altenator, thanks

Krackerjack9

Occupation
Things were to good, looks like my main clutch has gone south, called the guy at DMS in NY and he said there is a guy in Beaumont,tx who is changing out a clutch right now so if anyone know who this person is can you have him send me a message to contact me, I would love to come up and see more or less how this done and give him a hand, im guessing its a good 3.5hr drive from orange grove to beaumont

Krackerjack9

Occupation
Found a you tube video on the main clutch pretty much putting it back in but some other infor that is real vague in the manuel he sort of makes it easier to understand, so far more of a pain getting the dozer high enough to work on underneath. but its the clutch for sure the filter has all sorts of pieces in it and the rest of filter is really clean so im guessing a section of it came apart and hopfully I didn't mess up the pump was well DSC00021.JPG
not much in the filter besides clutch pieces no muck or sludge

Attachments

• DSC00020.JPG
    DSC00020.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 10

Krackerjack9

Occupation
I havnt got the clutch housing off yet, but im a few bolts and 4 hoses then lowering it down, One thing I picked up on the video was you need to run 3 botls thur the clutch to secure the plate so all the springs and such don't fall out its in the manuel but its very vague on what your supposed to due with them I will post photos latter of this, only other thing that's a pain the clutch linkage mine was striped out so I used a cut off wheel.. now I think these linkages are just a long metric bolt but they cut the head off and weld in a metric bolt on the otherside at least that is what it looks like but im not 100% sure. also here is a link to the guy who posted the video he made some 3d printer parts to align the clutch up when you put it back together

https://blog.orionranchobservatory.com/product/komatsu-d20p-6a-clutch-replacement-spline/

Komatsu-Clutch-Spline-Tool-300x283.png

Krackerjack9

Occupation
Clutch plates came in today got 4 case bolts to take out which are just arkward to get to luckly they break loose pretty easy, did run into another issue the 2 cooling hoses that come from the clutch case to the front radiator , im lowing them down and the first one the outer caseing just falls apart in my hands down to the braided wire the next one I get it about 1/2 way down and then it just breaks in half and just has no integrity to it at all, so got those ordered out of florida, I checked the fuel lines from the tank and they seem to be holding up good, but if you ever got that bottom cover plate off I check those hoses cause if one breaks your never going to know it unless you see oil on the ground will post some more photos later

Defekt

Occupation
Small Business Owner, Mech Engineer in a prev life
Good afternoon gentlemen, hope everyone is doing well, considering the state of the world at present. Long time lurker, member for ~month, first post! I purchased a d21a-3 about 6 weeks ago, I know its older, been looking at it for month before purchase. I grub brush from pastures with a skidsteer, I couldn't justify 25 to 35k for a used skidsteer, so I bought this komatsu. So far, it's been the best decision I've made. Any way, I cant seem to find much about the -3 models, like year, manuals, ect. It would be much appreciated if anybody could help me out with stuff like that. It's a d21a-3 sn 30186 Thanks-Nick

Attachments

• 20200416_141921.jpg
    20200416_141921.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 27

Krackerjack9

Occupation
Pulled the clutch assmbley out and the clutch plates didn't look all the bad then again im no expert so they could be bad but compared to the new clutch plates there is not much difference

Attachments

• DSC00028.JPG
    DSC00028.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 15
  • DSC00029.JPG
    DSC00029.JPG
  • DSC00030.JPG
    DSC00030.JPG

Krackerjack9

Occupation
Good afternoon gentlemen, hope everyone is doing well, considering the state of the world at present. Long time lurker, member for ~month, first post! I purchased a d21a-3 about 6 weeks ago, I know its older, been looking at it for month before purchase. I grub brush from pastures with a skidsteer, I couldn't justify 25 to 35k for a used skidsteer, so I bought this komatsu. So far, it's been the best decision I've made. Any way, I cant seem to find much about the -3 models, like year, manuals, ect. It would be much appreciated if anybody could help me out with stuff like that. It's a d21a-3 sn 30186 Thanks-Nick

Evening, good to see another person, to be honest I never seen that early of D21-3 the manuals should not be to hard to find and their bascily the same until you get into the newer models that have the joystick controls. Your not far from me at all maybe 1.5hrs drive im in Orange Grove just above alice,tx your tracks and rear sprockets looked to be fairly new, as along as it steers left and right and you got good power going forward/pushing then not much else you can ask for they due a real good job for the size. I got a few issues with mine right now but im hoping to get it all taken care of this week so I can go back making some $$ with it, the oilfield is done im guessing till the end of the year or more so I got to due something. Let me know if you need anything send me a private message and I shoot ya my phone and email George

Don Shilling

Occupation
Retired, multi occupation

Wow! I've recently purchased a -7 and searching for materials and parts have not yet come across anything for a -3. That's a neat looking older machine and I hope you can find books for it. It appears to have been well cared for all these years so you shouldn't have too many problems with it. Do you know how many hours on it?

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
I have some manuals on them .Shoot me a pm with your email address.

Defekt

Occupation
Wow! I've recently purchased a -7 and searching for materials and parts have not yet come across anything for a -3. That's a neat looking older machine and I hope you can find books for it. It appears to have been well cared for all these years so you shouldn't have too many problems with it. Do you know how many hours on it?
the hour meter on the engine(looks like a flag in a dipstick hole) is currently at 2915 ive put 10 of those on there. I would have to say that those hours are accurate as well. A friend of the family who runs dozers,owns 10 or more, and bought my late stepdads deere 850, pointed out that there wasn't wear on the peddles, floor plate, handles and sticks. Also the cutting edge hadnt been flipped. The lights are the 24v ones it came with.
Its road home was a long one, and almost didnt happen. I had looked at it at a dealer outside of dallas for months online about every other day, when all of a sudden it was gone. I remember the sn, put it in google, it popped up at an auction about 30 miles from dealer. It worked out, ended up saving $1350. It had steering/drive issues that i knew about prior to purchase, on the right side, it was slipping and about useless. Figured $400 for clutches, turned out that it must have been locked up, so someone sprayed oil all over clutch pack. 4 cans of brake cleaner, some degreaser and the pressure washer, good as new. Funny thing was i had found a -5 and a -6 on facebook, they both messaged me less than 10 minutes after i won the auction. Ive added sweeps, built a rootplow/grubber for the front, and also a root rake, currently building a ripper/root plow for rear. congrats on your -7, i have the brochure for that model. Thanks-Nick

Krackerjack9

Occupation
I like to see how you due the ripper, I just hope I can get mine to pull one as it is im not sure the clutch was the issue so fingers are crossed that it was the problem

Krackerjack9

Occupation
As im waiting on some hoses to come in I been checking other ones and even though they look ok from the outside orginal for sure they are just beyond brittle, I had to remove some hose clamps to take one of the cooling hoses from the clutch case and just barely pulling on it to get it up from the frame to pull out it just started falling apart , so if you can afford it and or your duing some repairs I would suggest replacing those hydraulic hoses, just think about it most are under the floor plate and if your running and one breaks or cracks how are you going to know unless it gets so low your blade don't react or a good 1/2 mile from your truck or in a tight spot and you realize something is really wrong. they lasted a good 20 to 25yrs on some of these models so take the time and replace them be cheap now then latter

Defekt

Occupation
As im waiting on some hoses to come in I been checking other ones and even though they look ok from the outside orginal for sure they are just beyond brittle, I had to remove some hose clamps to take one of the cooling hoses from the clutch case and just barely pulling on it to get it up from the frame to pull out it just started falling apart , so if you can afford it and or your duing some repairs I would suggest replacing those hydraulic hoses, just think about it most are under the floor plate and if your running and one breaks or cracks how are you going to know unless it gets so low your blade don't react or a good 1/2 mile from your truck or in a tight spot and you realize something is really wrong. they lasted a good 20 to 25yrs on some of these models so take the time and replace them be cheap now then latter
Good advice, about 10 years ago, I stopped at a garage sale and there was a hydraulic hose crimping machine, and 7 five gallon buckets of fittings, the best purchase I've ever made

Krackerjack9

Occupation
Good advice, about 10 years ago, I stopped at a garage sale and there was a hydraulic hose crimping machine, and 7 five gallon buckets of fittings, the best purchase I've ever made
wow that's a score, all these on the komatsu are metric but im betting you already know that, debating wether go ahead and get the clutch case on but then it just makes it harder to get the 2 hoses im waiting on to come in, I sure hope these clutch plates are the issue but they just didn't look all that bad so if it turns out its the steering clutches again don't know if the ones im getting are not all that good or maybe they were put in wrong I just don't know

Don Shilling

Occupation
Retired, multi occupation
wow that's a score, all these on the komatsu are metric but im betting you already know that, debating wether go ahead and get the clutch case on but then it just makes it harder to get the 2 hoses im waiting on to come in, I sure hope these clutch plates are the issue but they just didn't look all that bad so if it turns out its the steering clutches again don't know if the ones im getting are not all that good or maybe they were put in wrong I just don't know

I had my Komatsu hoses made up at Wilson Hydraulic. I think they are a franchise and may also be in your area. They had all the fittings in stock.