• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

Defekt

Occupation
Small Business Owner, Mech Engineer in a prev life
As im waiting on some hoses to come in I been checking other ones and even though they look ok from the outside orginal for sure they are just beyond brittle, I had to remove some hose clamps to take one of the cooling hoses from the clutch case and just barely pulling on it to get it up from the frame to pull out it just started falling apart , so if you can afford it and or your duing some repairs I would suggest replacing those hydraulic hoses, just think about it most are under the floor plate and if your running and one breaks or cracks how are you going to know unless it gets so low your blade don't react or a good 1/2 mile from your truck or in a tight spot and you realize something is really wrong. they lasted a good 20 to 25yrs on some of these models so take the time and replace them be cheap now then latter

I'm glad you had a handy hose shop nearby. Those Komatsu dealer prices can get plum ignorant!
My d21a-3 doesn't have alot of hoses, it doesn't have the steering ones, basically theres 6 hoses, 2 on each raise/lower cylinder, the pump is hard lined all the way to the front with a short hose off each hardline to pump. I did add 2 more, upon inspection of the blade control stick(valves inside tank) I noticed there was another function, stick side to side. There were also 2 blanked off flanges on the tank. The sideways function had been welded apparently from factory. I cut the welds carefully and moved the lever, and the relief valve hissed. I then removed the blank flanges, and drilled/tapped for 3/8 npt, added 2 hoses with quick couplers. Hooked it to skidsteer woods 7200 backhoe, and it worked. I could use it for a tilt cylinder, but its going to be most likely used for the ripper/rootplow on back. It seems to only really work one way though. I assume it was also for the S(shovel) d21. Another thing different and the -5 and on, is it's a 3 speed power shift, not a 2 speed, 3rd is definitely a transport gear, about 6mph, dont really use it, unworn grousers, it rattles organs around.

Defekt

Occupation
Here are some pics of the risers, grubber, root rake I've built so far.

Attachments

• 20200511_195230.jpg
    20200511_195230.jpg
    1,019.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 20200511_195210.jpg
    20200511_195210.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 51
  • 20200511_195134.jpg
    20200511_195134.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 50
  • 20200516_140231.jpg
    20200516_140231.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52

Defekt

Occupation
When did Komatsu stop producing the D21? Never seen one in the UK
The newest one I have ever seen for sale, was a 2008 model, when I was searching on machinery trader, it would bring up 2 d21s (shovel) models in Italy, they still come up.

Krackerjack9

Occupation
working in Iraq right now
I got clutch in still waiting on 2 hoses but started it up and put it in gear and nothing didn't bog it down or more nothing so only thing is either pull the steering clutches out or maybe something with the transmission I don't want to keep throwing parts at it but don't know what else to due

Krackerjack9

Occupation
well go it all back together and nothing no change at all, have to have it at least 1/2 throttle or more to get it to move but I cant due anthing with it any type of hill or obstacle it just stops, now the drive shaft is turning the whole time, it don't lug down at all, it wont pull 2nd or 3rd gear reverse works. It turns right and left so only thing left to change is the transmission, it don't make any weird noises , the brakes are not sticking I can get someone to push the dozer in my other tractor so I just don't know what else to change or look at.

Krackerjack9

Occupation
Had 2 different heavy equipment mechanix come out and take the dozer thur the paces and check all the linkages and $2200.00 latter both said more than likely the steering clutches are burned up or of poor quality that their glazed over or worn down really bad, maybe 30hrs on them at the most To get Komatsu to due it its around $4500.00 … the dozer can turn either way but you got to be at min 1/2 throtel. So im at cross roads wether to throw in the towel and get rid of it for a parts dozer most I can get is 1000 for it. or have Komatsu come out and pick it up and take it in and even at that I get the feeling that they don't really know whats wrong with it.

Krackerjack9

Occupation
I have a Komatsu d20p-6 we’re is the best place to order parts. Thanks
that guy in NY is real nice and pretty reasonable and he knows a lot about these little machines, Global parts out of Miami is really cheap on prices for hoses but its like 5 weeks before you get anything in shipping from them, The hose are Bridgestone OEM and about 1/3 of the price I just had 2 other ones made today right at 100 bucks if I would have got the other 2 that I ordered made it would be close to 450.00 for them

Krackerjack9

Occupation
Here is what those 2 hoses looked like coming from the oil cooler from the radiator and their original out of the sun light well protected and these things were just beyone brittle I cant believed they didn't break along time agoDSC00069.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00067.JPG
    DSC00067.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 12
  • DSC00068.JPG
    DSC00068.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 14
  • DSC00062.JPG
    DSC00062.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 13

Krackerjack9

Occupation
Morning, finally got almost everything together again but im having issues with the clutch pedal, I got it set up just like the photos in the service manual and have tried adjusting it to where it would come back up but no avail. It shows while engaged pedal up, that the spring is or is right at where it will pull the arm up or down like its right at the point where it can go either way with a nudge. So when you just barey push on the pedal it just gets pulled to the floor, now in the book it sort of mentions this but it never did this before. the only I can get the pedal up is to pull it up by hand. pretty much at lost on where to go from here
I got everything greased up and everything moves really good but I just don't know any help would be greatly appriciated

Kevin McCoy

Morning, finally got almost everything together again but im having issues with the clutch pedal, I got it set up just like the photos in the service manual and have tried adjusting it to where it would come back up but no avail. It shows while engaged pedal up, that the spring is or is right at where it will pull the arm up or down like its right at the point where it can go either way with a nudge. So when you just barey push on the pedal it just gets pulled to the floor, now in the book it sort of mentions this but it never did this before. the only I can get the pedal up is to pull it up by hand. pretty much at lost on where to go from here
I got everything greased up and everything moves really good but I just don't know any help would be greatly appriciated

Krackerjack9

Occupation
I took a chance and just buttoned up all the major things and got down off the blocks and put it in gear and wow it idle right along and when I wanted to turn it did with no issue , before at idle it never would I always had to give it some power,. so I went ahead and put it in 2nd and off I went, pull left or right and wow I turned with ease it never ever been like that, went up to big pile of dirt/ compost it just kept pusing and pushing till it wanted to stall in 2nd, before I would have to be in 1st and it would just stop but the engine nevered bogged down like now.. its got way more pushing power!!!! So got a fellow member on here who might drive down and take a looks sometimes your so used to looking at something that was set up wrong but you didn't know it and another set of eyes see it and spot it. other than that im pretty happy right now. Plus he made a ripper for his so im interested in how that looks so I can get one made for mine

Krackerjack9

Occupation
IMG_1622.JPG my clutch pedal is my only issue now, I got new grouser tracks, rear sprockets, new main clutch and new steering clutches, just drove it a few minutes ago I would say pushing power is over double than what it used to be, and after seeing the old clutch that came out most said that it didn't look all that bad but it was enough that's for sure

Last edited:

Don Shilling

Occupation
Retired, multi occupation
View attachment 219305 my clutch pedal is my only issue now, I got new grouser tracks, rear sprockets, new main clutch and new steering clutches, just drove it a few minutes ago I would say pushing power is over double than what it used to be, and after seeing the old clutch that came out most said that it didn't look all that bad but it was enough that's for sure
Did you seal the bolt holes in the rear of the steering clutch cases?