• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Shotty work poll

Add on fuse

• Use it

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Loose it

Votes: 11 68.8%

• Total voters

Welder Dave

What's considered old and what's considered young? Sometimes working on things makes you feel a lot older than you are or you wish someone younger could do it. I used to do a fair amount contortionist welding in tight spaces and sure as heck wouldn't want to do it now. I think I'd get locked up like a pretzel and wouldn't be able to move. On the other hand I think it's good I did those kind of jobs when I was younger. I think it contributes greatly to my being able to remain active despite having cancer related issues with my back. Dr. said it's very important I keep active and wants me to do at least 7000 steps a day. Climbing up in the grader is a good work out, especially when the lower step isn't solid and you have to pull yourself up and in.

Midnightmoon

Polarity doesnt really matter with these add a fuse setups just that the fuse you remove goes into the bottom fuse spot and if it's in one way and you blow bottom fuse you wont have power to top not horrible but you cant install it and not have fused power. Still junk in my opinion but hey that's just me it's the right way or not at all. This is the way the one I tested works red is the fuse you remove blue is the one you add. . To all you haters about my spelling when I realized it I couldn't find a way to change it. Autocorrect is great unless you cant spell words that dont use hooked on 20211006_215117.jpg phonics

mekanik

With an "Add A Fuse" you can put a 60 amp load on the fuse slot that was designed for a maximum of 30 amps.
Getting the correct terminal crimping it on the new supply wire with the correct crimping tool and accessing
the rear of the fuse box is not a big deal in most cases. Dealer shops would have everything needed to
do the job right. The extra time is not a lot.

Midnightmoon

Not my dealer you have to remember alot of manufactures build some stuff but have 2 or 3 other manufacturers rebranding for them on those machines service manuals lack alot. Oh yeah your forgetting good old 40 amp fuses so 80amp draw

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I've got 2 of them in my service truck. They have been in there so long I completely forgot about them. Only when somebody yelled at me through the window that the brake lights were not working. The brake light fuse likes to fall out every year or two. It is not one of the add a fuse spots either. So when I opened it up it reminded me that I had put them in there so long ago. One runs the 2 way radio with a 15 amp fuse. Installed hundreds that way. The other I can't remember what it is for. But everything is working so it must be for something.

suladas

Acceptable for a used piece of equipment if done properly. Not acceptable for a new piece. If I saw that on a new piece i'd kill the sale over it if there was empty places in fuse box it could have went.

Midnightmoon

Heymccal that link is wrong if you test the one I have in my hand power crosses diagonally not straight up like your link
Why does polarity really matter everything is still fused only issue if installed wrong top wont work when bottom blows

Last edited:

Truck Shop

Well I find this thread pretty funny.
On some types of equipment like the brand new KW 900L 2022 model priced at total cost of $189,000 which I just installed a dash camera in,
I used 2 fuse taps one for constant p and one ignition p-. Which is the way I have done it now since dash cams came out. Obviously some folks
haven't seen a power distribution box in a PacCar product. Your not going to just remove it.

100_1643.JPG 100_1642.JPG

56wrench

Nowadays, i'm leery about adding any extra load to any existing circuit because of all the computer controlled stuff, electronic modules and maybe the possibility of multiplexing. I sure don't want to cause unforeseen issues caused by something i added in to an existing circuit. So, i go right to the power centre and either use a spare cavity or go to a power stud( or keyed ignition supply terminal and then add what i want either fused or relayed or both. It can be very frustrating trying to diagnose an electrical problem where somebody has randomly added in extra crap willy-nilly and inadvertantly caused other issues.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Nowadays, i'm leery about adding any extra load to any existing circuit because of all the computer controlled stuff, electronic modules and maybe the possibility of multiplexing. I sure don't want to cause unforeseen issues caused by something i added in to an existing circuit. So, i go right to the power centre and either use a spare cavity or go to a power stud( or keyed ignition supply terminal and then add what i want either fused or relayed or both. It can be very frustrating trying to diagnose an electrical problem where somebody has randomly added in extra crap willy-nilly and inadvertantly caused other issues.

Oh yes, we had this problem on a then-new Dodge. This would have been about 2013 or so. Tapped the usual fuses, very low additional draw, truck would randomly refuse to start (crank), a lot.

After scratching our heads for many hours looking for things we might have damaged, we just put the fuses back like original and it started right up every time.

The solution was to use a Charge Guard, a piece of electronics that monitors main battery voltage and turns on its output when it rises above what a resting battery could provide (i.e. it sees the alternator operational). It is pretty much fool proof, it does not affect any vehicle system and it's the only way to fly on newer electronified junk. Tap as close to the main battery as practical.

Midnightmoon

We are all shot so shotty is fitting hard round ball on top of our shoulders. All I was asking is simple is it shotty to use this style power tap when you can add a pin to a fuse box or use a spare fuse in a fuse box specifically for adding accessories. Personally I would never use one of these regardless if the fuse box is full or not.. Put it in backwords and you over load a circuit. It's just not professional. I've worked onTrucks theres better ways around the add a problem