• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Shotty work poll

Add on fuse

• Use it

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Loose it

Votes: 11 68.8%

• Total voters

Truck Shop

Farmer brings in rig for air leak-mounted fire-x to back of cab ran 1/4" screw through 5/8 feed line to tractor protection valve.

But when it comes to the worst wiring from factory-look no further than Great Dane and Vanguard refer trailers.

JD955SC

When I worked for a Kenworth dealer we would get a radio shop to send a guy over
to install the radios. They were the worst harness butchers I have ever seen. It got to the point where I would open the dash and show them the power wire to use and where to put the ground and where to put the co-ax through the firewall. The Add-A-Fuse and Scotch-Lock were made for radio installers.
Once a radio installer showed up all battered and bruised. I jokingly asked him what
happened. Apparently he was working in the dash of a new vehicle and managed to set off the steering wheel air bag.
Had a customer bring his car to our shop. It was a lease and he was returning it that day, he wanted me to take the Auto-Tel out for his next vehicle. It was screwed to the floor of the trunk. When I took the screws out, 4" long self drilling tapping screws I could smell gasoline. The screws went through the trunk and an inch further into the gas tank. I put the screws back in to plug the holes in the tank.
My last job a company that outfits new vehicles installed a radio clam-shell on the hump in the floor of our new Ford Expedition. They managed to put a self drilling screw through the transmission housing.

one of the reasons the crown Vic got its reputation as “The Police Incinerator” was the poorly installed self tapping screws of body upfitters installing LE equipment puncturing gas tanks in rear end wrecks.

I tell my apprentices at work to use care in their worksmanship as there are times when poor choices can result in lives and/or property loss and besides the harm you don’t want to wind up on the stand going “Uhhhhh” about a repair you did going sideways.

JD955SC

I am still a stickler to solder and shrink tube every electrical connection I touch on equipment and vehicles. You can probably figure out I am in the old fart category. Way to stiff and sore to do it more than once.

I either use Deutsch connectors or similar (high quality and very environmentally sealed) or solder and heat shrink like you to join wires as necessary. Reliability is paramount. Besides the normal scotchloks and buttsplice failures I have seen those seemingly fancy heat shrink/solder connectors fail also.

Truck Shop

The wiring in older trucks was so simple compared to what we deal with in modern trucks.

That's true-but 99% of the mechanics managed to f@#k even those systems up. And modern trucks don't need 40% of the wiring-there's no need for
power door locks, power windows, lane avoidance systems, traction control-that's what interlock is for. All the
power ports installed for entertainment center garbage, miltiplex wiring, sam modules, power inverters,
Trucks have been turned into a lexus. IT'S A TRUCK for sh!T sake.
I owned and operated a 1966 Pete as OTR, 13spd with a 4spd brownie and power steering-didn't even have
AC. No GPS, no cell phone, no dash cam, no tv, no microwave, no nothing and was out 7 days at a time.
Somehow for some reason I survived without all that crap.

Last edited:

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Not old-school cool like Truck Shop’s classic iron. My example is mostly plastic and soulless. New T880 Kay-Dub tanker. 10320D6B-62FA-4481-9FB4-DA0C9BDEF6A5.jpeg 8E16FE58-C0C3-4DFE-A930-51F84D212783.jpeg I installed a SkyBitz Smartlogix system. Needed some juice. Add-A-Circuit to the rescue! Tap that R7.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
59 North,

Almost. There are two Neptunes in regular service in Sitka. Russ Smith rebuilt them for me before he retired. No idea of anyone in the PNW that can work on one, anymore.

There was a Brodie in Bethel still passing AK Weights&Measures proving inspections as of 2018. Now retired. I have a picture somewhere. Lol. Like 50’s vintage. It was on John’s old International fuel truck before he sold the station to Delta Western Petroleum.

Liquid Controls model LCRII is predominantly in use across the state. A few LCR600’s, mostly on bulk lube delivery trucks.

Truck Shop

Not much different than the Quall coms, Lytx camera's and Samsara trackers I install.---George Jettson crap.

Truck drivers with some sort of cyborg head set on---trying to look like some kind of half a$$ jet pilot/astronaut.

Mark R White

In my opinion, add-on fuses are trash. Either utilize a spare fuse block in the factory fuse block or do a separate fuse block. Just my $0.02.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
When I worked at a place that had docks we'd find a few marker light remains a month down in them. We got a lot of SWIFT so we were always fixing bumpers and levelers lol.

59 North

59 North,

Almost. There are two Neptunes in regular service in Sitka. Russ Smith rebuilt them for me before he retired. No idea of anyone in the PNW that can work on one, anymore.

There was a Brodie in Bethel still passing AK Weights&Measures proving inspections as of 2018. Now retired. I have a picture somewhere. Lol. Like 50’s vintage. It was on John’s old International fuel truck before he sold the station to Delta Western Petroleum.

Liquid Controls model LCRII is predominantly in use across the state. A few LCR600’s, mostly on bulk lube delivery trucks.
Thanks! Very interesting.
Drove fuel truck some, for part of the '70s, and those were the 2 that I recall were on the trucks.
Carbon paper in the delivery tickets!